Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What splitter to use with NTL BB?

• 11-10-2005 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I am using a simple 2-way splitter on the cable just after it enters the house. One line goes to the modem and the other goes to another splitter to feed tellys.

The thing is that lately my BB has dropped periodically, and I have noticed that if I remove the splitter and connect the cable directly to the modem I get my broadband back.

This prompted some googling and I discovered that the choice of splitter can be very important; frequency ranges, dB losses, etc.

Does anyone know what kind of splitter is best for NTL BB? And where can I get one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I would recommend a low loss F type splitter which you should be able to get in maplins or similar
    capistrano wrote:
    I am using a simple 2-way splitter on the cable just after it enters the house. One line goes to the modem and the other goes to another splitter to feed tellys.

The thing is that lately my BB has dropped periodically, and I have noticed that if I remove the splitter and connect the cable directly to the modem I get my broadband back.

This prompted some googling and I discovered that the choice of splitter can be very important; frequency ranges, dB losses, etc.

Does anyone know what kind of splitter is best for NTL BB? And where can I get one?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Tony wrote:
    I would recommend a low loss F type splitter which you should be able to get in maplins or similar
    Something like this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I was going to post a similar thing about the NTL splitter.
    Apologies if I appear to be hijacking the thread. :)

My problem is that the splitter I got with my broadband causes a buzzing sound on my NTL digital.
    This is definitely the case as I have tried the digital without the splitter.
    What can I do about this? Would a different splitter solve this and would NTL send me a different one if I rang them?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

The best way is not to use a splitter at all. NTL say that what should be done when you get connected is that a second line be run from the box outside your house for the modem. In my case this wasn't done and a splitter was used instead inside the house. NTL have now run that second line for the modem and everything has been hunkydory ever since.

Advertisement