Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Drop the Chihuahua' doesnt work on hawk

• 11-10-2005 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

This is an old story i think apologies if it has been posted before :)

A woman attacks a hawk trying to rescue her pet from its talons.
    NICEVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Forget the chalupa, just "Drop the Chihuahua." That's what Sandy Parks shrieked when a juvenile red-tailed hawk dug its talons into Bandita, the spitting image of the talking Chihuahua in Taco Bell's "Drop the chalupa" commercials.
    The hawk found itself in a tug-of-war with Parks, 61, because Bandita was on a 5-foot leash when the raptor sprang from a neighbor's bushes Monday.
    "Here I am, yelling "Drop the Chihuahua! Drop the Chihuahua!" she recalled Tuesday. "I am surprised I didn't scare the hawk away. I had no idea they had that much tenacity. I've been hungry before, but I've never held on to food that much."
    She yanked on the leash and slammed the 2.6-pound bird and 6-pound dog into the outside wall of her duplex in the Bluewater Bay community near this Florida Pan-handle city.The hawk, still grasping Bandita, dropped to the ground and Parks stomped its belly. It refused to let go until she dragged the animals into her doorway and slammed the door on the hawk's legs. Both animals were treated at the Niceville Animal Clinic, where veterinarian Dr. Jim Whiteside discovered the hawk was suffering from a previous injury, a wing broken in two places, clinic receptionist Laura Lassiter said Wednesday.
    That's apparently why the hawk,weighing just half of what a bird with a 5-foot wingspan should, had resorted to preying on a pet. The wing was healing well on its own and needed no further treatment, Lassiter said. The hawk suffered only a broke feather in its battle with Parks. It will remain at the clinic until the healing is complete, which should take about six weeks.
    Bandita's puncture wounds were patched, and she went home with Parks, but not before some tense moments when Audubon Society members brought the hawk to the clinic.
    "So there we are, the bird in a box and the dog in a cage in the same room," Parks said. "She wasn't too thrilled about that."
    Parks also got a lecture about how it is illegal to batter hawks,which are protected by federalmigratory bird laws.
    "I just wanted to say 'Listen, put me in jail, fine me, just take care of my dog,'" she said. "The bird wasn't afraid of me and once he lost fear of humans, he could have been dangerous. What if it had been my granddaughter or one of the neighborhood kids out walking the dog?"
    While recuperating, the hawk won't be dining on kids, Chihuahuas or chalupas.
    "We're going to fatten him up onsome rats and then release him," Lassiter said

Advertisement