Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight problem

• 11-10-2005 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Need peoples advice here.I am heavy but not grossly overweight.However i have been tryin to lose weight for quite a while now.I am certainly eating better than i was.I play all sports and i am training 3-4 nights a week plus a match at the weekend.I do not drink or smoke.But i dont seem to be losing weight at all.I would like to look slimmer by April as i am 18 then.Any advice?What more can i do and how long does it realistically take to lose a stone or two in weight?Help please.I have no self confidence and its ruining my chances of getin a girl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Do you drink a lot of fizzy drinks? Do you snack on chocolates or chips? Do you eat at fastfood places?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

void weight_problem(string time, int calories_in, int calories_out)
    {
    	while( time != April )
    	{
    		if (calories_in > calories_out)
    			lose_weight(calories_in - calories_out)
    		else
    			increase_weight(calories_out - calories_in)
    	}
    }

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cut out all sugary foods, snacks and sugary drinks. Switch to diet drinks if you like them.

It's no so much about what you eat, but how much you eat. Saying "I'm eating better", doesn't really say all that much. If you eat too much pasta, or too much cheese, or drink too much milk, you'll be lardass.
    I seriously doubt, if you're training 3/4 nights a week, that you're remotely as overweight as you think you are.

Give us your weight & height, and walk us through a typical day's eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

seamus wrote:
    Cut out all sugary foods, snacks and sugary drinks. Switch to diet drinks if you like them.

It's no so much about what you eat, but how much you eat. Saying "I'm eating better", doesn't really say all that much. If you eat too much pasta, or too much cheese, or drink too much milk, you'll be lardass.
    I seriously doubt, if you're training 3/4 nights a week, that you're remotely as overweight as you think you are.

Give us your weight & height, and walk us through a typical day's eating.

No fizzy drinks at all ;), the diet drinks are just as bad for you, fizzy drinks are a no no.

No fizzy drinks at all ;), the diet drinks are just as bad for you, fizzy drinks are a no no.
    Ah, not really. Just make sure you don't rely on them for hydration - drink about 3 litres of water a day.. One with your lunch won't kill you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

you could have a glandular problem, but the only way to know would be to go to the doctors for blood tests. or maybe you're diet just isn't the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I was fairly over weight for a while and even though I did sports and ate healthily (I was young so ate what my mam gave me which was healthy, trust me!) I could not lose weight. I tried loads of different things, getting those allergy tests done and all, but nothing really worked. Then I found this clinic, that sounds really cold and hostile but it was basically a place where you got blood tests done and they sent them to English labs to be analysed, to find out what foods your body is intolerant to and not. They send you back a sheet with all the foods tested on it telling you wish are okay for you and which aren't. Then the "doctor" will go through an eating plan with you and give you a recipie book and stuff. You have to go on a six week detox that is VERY strict to clean your body out, it's tough but its worth it. You then stick basically to your guidelines or "good" food and "bad food".

I'll root out the details to it and post em.
    It sounds very clinical and stuff but its really nice, friendly and good. I lost a lot of weight in a short time and have kept it off. I had been tested for diabetes all that but it turned out my body was simply dairy intolerant so as long as I ate it I put on weight and couldn't loose it as my body couldn't break down the dairy compounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I would be interested in that place that does them there blood tests. Can you post or PM me the details?

In relation to the OP, I had blood tests done for under active thyroid and diabetes. Very unusual for a male less than 30 to have problems with either but you could ask your doc to do them.

More Cardio work, ease off the weights a bit, stop drinking pints (if you do) and switch to vodka/diet coke in moderation. Fewer Calories and believe me you can only drionk so much of this stuff!

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Agree with you there Endurance man.Diet drinks contain no sugars but artificial sweeteners instead with can react very badly with some people.

Drink water yes,but unless you are doing heavy workouts everyday you don't need to drink litres of the stuff(your body can only absorb so such much :) )

Also a tip some ladies use, fizzy water will fill you up more than the flat stuff and make you feel less hungry.( Yes I know,very scientific)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

gaa247 wrote:
    Need peoples advice here.I am heavy but not grossly overweight.However i have been tryin to lose weight for quite a while now.I am certainly eating better than i was.I play all sports and i am training 3-4 nights a week plus a match at the weekend.I do not drink or smoke.But i dont seem to be losing weight at all.I would like to look slimmer by April as i am 18 then.Any advice?What more can i do and how long does it realistically take to lose a stone or two in weight?Help please.I have no self confidence and its ruining my chances of getin a girl

You could also be replacing your fat with muscle. Who knows given my hate of exercise but I have heard it happens. But as everyone else said you gotta watch what you eat. Every little bit here and there you eat adds up.

On the other hand there is a forum dealing specifically with fitness. Post in there for more specific advice.

In fact what height and weight are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Chrissie

Hi gaa247.
    I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't do this, but I'll tell you my story.
    I know the Atkins / low carb type diet gets a lot of bad press, & personally I don't think it's something I'd like to do fulltime but:
    1.5 yrs ago I wanted to lose some weight as did my ex.
    I bought the book for €10 & followed it.
    6 weeks later I'd lost 1.5st & my ex had lost 2st, this was without any effort whatsoever.
    After that, I went back to eating pretty normally though I still rarely eat potatoes (didn't really like them anyway) will eat green veg instead & I try not to eat much pasta or rice. Any carbs that I do eat I try to make sure their as full as fibre as possible.

Anyway, 1.5 yrs on, I've only gained 1 or 2 lbs, & if I cut down for a week it falls back off me again. I've since joined a gym to tone up etc.

While it may not be for everyone, it worked wonders for me & I found it so easy (like that type of food anyway). All other healthy eating type diets never shifted a pound for me but this worked so quick

Like I say, I don't still do it, I only did it for about 2 months, but I am aware now of what I shouldn't eat so much of, & as for the weight going back on, it hasn't in my case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

gaa247 wrote:

You should try and measure fat ratio rather than weight. As has been said muscle is heavier than fat, so if turn fat into muscle you will actually gain weight. Of course be careful not to confuse muscle gain with simply getting fatter :D

If you are serious you might want to get your GP on board, he can help direct your fittness. They can direct you as to the best course of action, as in how much is safe to lose, how to measure fat loss etc.

As someone has said, cut out as much sweets and chocolate as you can, and completely cut out fizzy drinks (including diet drinks, biggest myth in the universe that they help weight-loss :rolleyes:), and more importantly cut out all the energy drinks that people believe they need for sport. Things like Luicade Sport (sp?) are very bad for you, lead to weight gain and actually decrease sports performance. The ads that say "Helps athelates perform 33% longer" are simply bulls**t.

I find drinking fizzy water, plain fizzy water, without the "hint" of fruit (which is really just sugar), gives you the sensation of a soft-drink but its much better for you.

Also, cut down on bread, especially white flour. That means pizzas, pasta etc as well.

If your body is used to a high sugar/carb diet you might find it very hard at the beginning ot actually cut these things out. Your body can fall into a bad cycle of rush of sugar, rush of insoline, that causes you to crave sugar. You just have to work through this. have a piece of fruit instead of a bar of chocolate.

One of the simplest things to do to help motivate weightloss is to write down everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) you eat each day in a little diary. It can be quite eye opening when you look back over a day or a week and see what you actually did eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Lerack can you Pm me all the details for that please . I think i have a allergy to some food that causes me to get sick every morning but i cant pin point it . id love fror you to PM the details please.

To the OP .I have really taken to the gym the last few weeks doing a lot of cardio work but what i find is when over weight men come into the gym , they come in with this great intention of losing weight and after 5 mins on the bike they get off and start doing the weights to pass time. If this is your case its pointless , get on the threadmill , bike , crosstrainer , rower spread a work load over a hor to these 4 machines , then do your weights.

lerack dont forget to pm me that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

slumped wrote:
    switch to vodka/diet coke in moderation.
    I'm not sure if this is advice suitable for giving to (1) 17-year olds (2) people engaged in sport.

gaa247, try talking to your coach, are you actually overweight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

alot of experts here i see... :P

this isnt a situation where you need to see a doctor,the fact that your 'eating healthy' doesnt mean much at all,you could probably get away with eating 4 snickers a day and still lose weight as long as it was all you were eating...what counts is calories...if you eat more calories then your body is burning...then the unused stuff gets stored as fat...simpleeeeeee assssss thattttt

if your serious about this then you should do it the RIGHT WAY,not some half assed job,after all,thats what got you there in the first place..

cba explaining how,so ill just give you this and hope you have the will power to at least read the stickys :P

you'll get some good info on the fitness board here too..

**dunno if posting a link like that is advertising? sorry if it is,edit away..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

The only advice I can give you take one week of your 'eating life' write down everything you eat and the time you eat sorta like a food diary. Then if you see alot of the same foods poping up cut way down on them don't eat so much junk food give up takeaways if you want one only have it once a month or less and don't go over board. same with junk food.

Exercise more even if it's only walkin for 20mins a day... I cut back on the amount of white bread I eat and I drink more water now... I also started chewing more gum don't know if thats a good thing or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gaa247

Heres a typical day.I dont eat breakfast.Maybe a nutri grain bar sumtimes.Den round lunchtime i eat a chicken roll with a bottle of water or a bottle of water.I cum home and have my dinner and den maybe later i eat a snack.I drink plenty of water and i drink fizzy drinks sumtimes but not too much.I eat crisps sumtimes but when i do never more than 1 or two packets.and dats usually popcorn.At weekends maybe a bag of chips on a friday ad a chinese every saturday.Anyone have any tips for dat?Any advice for those cravings that you get just to eat?I also seem to eat more when i am bored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

seamus wrote:

It's no so much about what you eat, but how much you eat.

What? I assume that was a typo.

Its all about what you eat not how much (within reason) if you're exercising.

Check out the fitness forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sangre wrote:

And I would think when you eat is a factor as well? i.e. white bread an hour or two before exercise should give you an energy boost. However, eating late at night means you aren't giving your body any opportunity to use the calories for energy.
    gaa247 wrote:
    Any advice for those cravings that you get just to eat?I also seem to eat more when i am bored

Try stocking different snack foods that you can eat as much as you want to, without any negative effects (for example, apparently you burn more calories eating celery than it actually contains). I'm other posters can give better examples.

Oh yeah, start eating breakfast - this is really when your body needs the energy.

Sangre wrote:
    What? I assume that was a typo.

They work in tandem most of the time. If you're training for something specific (muscle gain, long-distance running, etc), then more focus needs to be paid on what you're eating than how much of it.

If you're just looking to lose weight, or for general weight loss training, then portion sizes require your main focus. Of course, controlling your portion sizes will invariably force a change in what you eat so you don't end up hungry, tired and irritable all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

seamus wrote:
    If you're just looking to lose weight, or for general weight loss training, then portion sizes require your main focus. Of course, controlling your portion sizes will invariably force a change in what you eat so you don't end up hungry, tired and irritable all day.

Well I completely disagree but now isn't really the place to argue it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭geraghd

Ok I absolutely hate when people go on 'diets' and take up all these fads. no offence of course. But food is there to be enjoyed. what you should consider is eating lots of healthy food (of course it goes without saying if you eat more calories (healthy food or not) than you burn you will put on weight), and try different types. If you are not used to eating healthy food you would be amazed at the types and range of delicious healthy foods that are out there. Its expensive but once you get a taste for it (and exercise often) the appeal of high processed foods lessens.
    Of course your weight could be a genetic thing, and you should consider the fact that the frame of your body may not be conducive to a low body mass. It could be a genetic thing, and if this doesnt work you could try that GI diet as it seems to be the most scientifically sound. Never do Atkins, its a recipe for disaster. But dont obscess about food, its there to be enjoyed!
    Excercise of course is the best, so stick with it. Also Im lead to believe alcohol has a very high calorie count (esp beer since its loaded with sugar and you drink more of it with such a small alco percentage) so try cutting down on that. It will also seriously help your pocket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

i lost 3 stone and 8 inches off my waist by simply stopping eating wheat products

it causes your body to retain water and causes bloating

im not alergic to wheat in any way and apparently it doesnt affect me in any way other than the normal way or so they said
    but it did seem to work very well for me(went from 23 stone and 46 inch waist to 20 stone and 38 waist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

geraghd wrote:
    Ok I absolutely hate when people go on 'diets' and take up all these fads.
    Excercise of course is the best, so stick with it.
    Exercise is a fad. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gaa247

If you exercise a lot and cut down a bit on the amount of food you eat should you lose weight faster?A lunch and a dinner and a small snack?Would dat do with a bit of exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Victor wrote:
    I'm not sure if this is advice suitable for giving to (1) 17-year olds (2) people engaged in sport.

gaa247, try talking to your coach, are you actually overweight?

Victor, if you read the line in my post, it did say IF YOU DO. Not all 17 year olds abstain from alcohol, lets be realistic.

Dismount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭geraghd

gaa247 wrote:
    If you exercise a lot and cut down a bit on the amount of food you eat should you lose weight faster?A lunch and a dinner and a small snack?Would dat do with a bit of exercise?
    It should do. If you are really worried about it or want more relevant advice you should go to a GP or nutritionist.. It also depends on how long you are doing it, cause it could take a while, but remember the more you loose in a small space of time the easier it is to put it back on again..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gaa247 wrote:

As pointed out above- its not so much the quantity of food you eat (though obviously this is important) its also the type of food you eat. Cutting down on snacks and starchy foods is pretty pointless- if you go on to gorge on fatty foods elsewhere.....

Strongly advise a visit to a dietician- I think it would be well worth your while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

gaa247 wrote:

NO NO NO!!! :rolleyes:

It's not the amount you eat it's what you eat. If you want to loose weight, eat about 6 times a day, not 3 full meals but six kinda snacks, healthy snacks!! Stick to veges, fruit, white meat such as chicken/fish, don't eat after 7 pm, drink a few litres of water a day, keep track of your calorie intake, keep track of you carbs/protein/fat intake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

gaa247 wrote:
    it's about what you eat and when you eat it, not how much, well sorta how much, and getting exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

how much you eat is far more important then what you eat,your body doesnt burn THAT many calories a day therfore eating eating alot of,no matter what food will probably leave you eating more then your body is burning,leaving you with exess calories = fat... ofcourse what you eat is important because if you eat,say a snickers,which i would imagine to have around 400calories,that will fuxor up your diet a bit,as you will end up eating a good bit less than you usually would at the end of the day,if cravings dont get the better of you,that is(and they usually do..).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Go to a doctor or a dietician.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement