Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL support- They have no way of tracking intermittant faults?

• 11-10-2005 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

I and several (likely more) others in my area (Tyrresltown, D15) are having massive ping spikes (350ms to Eircom.net) and now lost packets on Eircoms DSL service. Its been going on for 3 weeks now (when first logged with Eircom). They keep promising an Enginner callback but havent got a single one. It appears the 2nd tier support try pinging the router before they do anything, as the problem is intermittant and possibly not visible at 8AM in the morning, the get normal results back and clear the damn fault logged on their system each and everytime after we ring.

Everytime we ring the script jockey in support insists on going over the same steps, its going around in circles:

"oh, its a common problem, its spyware" -> there are no PCs on the router at the moment... "Oh, do you want to escalate it then?"
    "Eircom T&Cs state Eircom dont guarantee a minimum latency or speed.."
    "no one else has complained.."
    "I cant find any record of your last call.. Ill have to do the tests again"
    "its probably your neighbours downloading too much, dont worry, we can charge them for going over their cap." How this is meant to me I dont know.
    Also Im on a business connection while my neighbours arent, we get the same spikes at the same moment (confirmed via MSN Chat as we pinged).

The 3rd Engineer call was meant to be today.. didnt happen again (as likely they pinged the router, it looked ok at that moment and they cleared the fault).

Whats the best way of escalating this or talking directly with an Engineer in Eircom? Im still hoping either Metro or IBB (yes, even IBB :) ) can confirm support in this area.

Matt

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

intermittents are a bastard :( and even worse when compounded by yellowpack script jockeys outsourced by Eircom somewhere in Tallaght or Bangalore .

get everyone you know to write an email to the boss, phil.nolan@eircom.ie about it with patterns of times when it happens

if it happens when ye are at home and not during the day it could be a non eircom problem like a local amateur sculptor with his welding gear or a local with 1995 BMW who arrives home and enables a really weird alarm system in it or something equally odd....but not eircoms fault....... who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sponge Bob wrote:
    intermittents are a bastard :( and even worse when compounded by yellowpack script jockeys outsourced by Eircom somewhere in Tallaght or Bangalore .

get everyone you know to write an email to the boss, phil.nolan@eircom.ie about it with patterns of times when it happens

if it happens when ye are at home and not during the day it could be a non eircom problem like a local amateur sculptor with his welding gear or a local with 1995 BMW who arrives home and enables a really weird alarm system in it or something equally odd....but not eircoms fault....... who knows.

Well, the times it happens are odd, sometimes at 1am, others at 8pm. Usually goes bad for 20min at a time on and off over a 4 hr period from 6ish. It definately happens during the day on the weekend too, not sure about weekdays. Right now (00:01) Im pinging an avg of 315ms to Eircom.net. Any game or app that stresses the line a bit gets around 500ms+. Its been like this for 2hrs straight and sometime before that.

Matt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its your local crack dealers microwave oven .....probably :D

Advertisement