Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capping and Reality and the Eircom official price

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Eircom will force Esat to have a cap by charging Esat per mb that each Esat DSL user goes over 3GB.
    Esat could only offer uncapeed DSL if they availed of LLU and that would only be viable in dublin, but Esat have no intentions of trying to put their hardware in Eircom Exchanges as they tried and failed before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭E-Hub

for what its worth, i agree, as pointed out with Friaco, once eircom provide a service they have to provide a wholesale one, but only under the same terms, I.E. if eircom bill eircom.net per mb, then they can legaly bill anyother isp per mb,
    ITs the ADSL of what our 56k access is today, instead of per minute its per mb. with the exact same reason being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just a quick question folks ....

This (shocklingly pathetic) 3GB limit. Does that include both downstream AND upstream traffic? Or just down-stream traffic?

I'll throw in a little rant whilst I'm here :D

When Eircom allegedly revealed that it upped its limit from 1GB to 3GB because of the reaction on the boards, do they think that we should be grateful to them for being 'generous' and upping the limit to a whopping 3GB?

Its a transfers CAP, so download/upload.

3GB although to download it is huge, no matter what connection your on, it defreats the purpose of DSL as an "always on" connection, so you can leave it on for days and days without disconnecting and just browse when you like and because of its speed, download when you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Lemming
    When Eircom allegedly revealed that it upped its limit from 1GB to 3GB because of the reaction on the boards, do they think that we should be grateful to them for being 'generous' and upping the limit to a whopping 3GB?
    The 1 GB limit was never officially announced. It was rumoured here and elsewhere. I heard about it independently from an eircom employee several months ago and I tend to believe it was true.

• Advertisement

there was a 1GB limit on the trial users and it was assumed[logically] that this would be the cap when it retailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Originally posted by chernobyl
    there was a 1GB limit on the trial users and it was assumed[logically] that this would be the cap when it retailed.

There was no download cap/limit on the Eircom DSL trials. PHB, Renton, Kaids and a few other CS heads were all on it and downloaded loads of stuff. The trial was also free, so where would be the point in suddenly charging for over 1/3/whatever gigs downloaded?

-Son of Blam

Advertisement