Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Tank distance from house.??

Options
  • 12-10-2005 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

What is the furthest distance you can have your oil tank from your boiler. I want to put the oil tank out of sight behind the garage but it is about 20 meters from the back of the house where the boiler is going to be. Is this still OK..?? I heard somewhere that the further away the tank is the more likelyhood of problems feeding the boiler..

Ta..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Bill2 wrote:
    Hi,

What is the furthest distance you can have your oil tank from your boiler. I want to put the oil tank out of sight behind the garage but it is about 20 meters from the back of the house where the boiler is going to be. Is this still OK..?? I heard somewhere that the further away the tank is the more likelyhood of problems feeding the boiler..

Ta..

My tank is 20 meters from the boiler with the copper pipe feed a meter underground and is in service over 9 years, touch wood no problems!!!

Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The surveyor who surveyed my house said that oil burner and tank should not be together. Fire hazzard. I'd say if you did put them that far away, you would want to make sure that the tank is at a higher level than the boiler (marginally) to avoid crap feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Height is what matters. If the bottom of the tank is above the level of the burner you should be safe enough once you start with a full tank.
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How long is the pipe on an oil truck? :eek:
    JamesM wrote:
    Height is what matters.
    Distance does matter because of resistance to flow between pipe and liquid.

Advertisement