Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

honda CRX 1984-1991

Options
  • 12-10-2005 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

anyone got one of these - preferably the later ones, around 1991?
    looking into buying a new car, and would love to see what these are like.
    any chance on someone bringing me for me for a spin! [chancing my arm] :confused:

opinions and advice also appreciated.
    dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

you looking for the Vtec or non Vtec model?

they comes in 1.5 and 1.6 also, SOHC and DOHC(also I've seen Dual Carb and Injection models on the SOHC)

theres a good bit different between them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

just quickly looked up insurance prices... holy sh1te.
    verrrrrry expensive to insure.

1.5 are all imports i think. not really sure what i want. Vtec is always nice.
    insurance lists didn't show much variation in the models.
    does the the CRX si mean it's a Vtec?

nope, Si is 1.6 DOHC non vtec, SiR is DOHC vtec

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Si is the import 1.6 non-VTEC version, the import VTEC version is the SiR. As you said, the 1.5 dual-carb version is import only.

By the later version, I presume mean the mark II, which was made from 1988 to 1991. VTECS were only made from about 1990 onwards. The earlier mark I is very rare in Ireland and most of those that are still around will be in "project" condition, I'd imagine.

The 1.5 should be the cheapest to insure as you only get 105bhp. The 1.6 gives you about 130bhp and the VTEC about 160bhp. Most insurance companies don't differentiate that much between them, but some hyperventilate at the mention of VTEC.

If you want to know any more, just ask me.

Oh, and all the mark IIs had DOHC engines, unless you buy an American model.

• Advertisement

There used to be a couple of boys in town one had a 89 and the other was 91 MKIIs CRX with 1.5l SOHC engine in them, both imports!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

blastman wrote:
    Oh, and all the mark IIs had DOHC engines,...

i think you meant all european markII's had DOHC motors

by the way, 105BHP on dual carb 1.5, just over 115bhp on injection 1.5, this is flywheel bhp not at the wheels, 1.6 injection are 127bhp, 1.6 DOHC around 160bhp, which the 1st generation vtec 1.6DOHC is not far off from, the DOHC non vtec ZC engine in the mark i and ii are both nice powerfull engine for a 1.6l compare to the vtec version.

StRiKeR wrote:
    by the way, 105BHP on dual carb 1.5, just over 115bhp on injection 1.5,
    There wasn't an injection 1.5 in the mark II, though, only the Del Sol.

Ratchet wrote:
    i think you meant all european markII's had DOHC motors
    Sorry, I did, yeah.

• Advertisement

then I must have been seeing things when we lifted the bonnet of the MKII crx 2 yrs ago, or else he had a conversion done, anyhow I dont keep track on CRXs, I only study honda engines and had only owned the MKIII VTI. never really had any interest on the CRXs. just been working on honda engines and tuning them, mostly civics, integras and preludes.

i say car had heart transplant :D

anyhow they all uses same engines in little different configurations :)

BHP are similar also, usually the difference in bhp are due to intake differences or ecu programmes

if the insureance companies do not differenciate between the 1.6 engines, i guess the vtec is the best option. do you have a CRX blastman?

Nope.

I have two. :D

what types have you got?
    where are you based? any chance we could meet up? i've never even sat in one!

alot of insurance kind of know about the honda's by now, alot of them seems to ask you if its VTEC or not, when I was getting my insurance transfer they asked me if mine was 1.8 or 1.6 vtec or non vtec, when they know its vtec, they ask me if it was Type R! :) depends who you speak to really, I got my insurance through broker, but if you get a VTEC you better insure as a VTEC as they can turn around and say you not cover when you need it!

PM me, David, we might be able to sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I had a 91 crx 1.6 16v. (non vtec model) for about 4 years. I would recommend getting the vtec model for that bit extra power

mines the white one

Make sure you've good tyres as she can whip round. After that pic was taken I changed the suspension; koni shocks + eibach springs with 30mm+drop I also added 16" wheels which tidyied (<spelling?) up the cornering.

the 16v had a sunroof problem, check the drains haven't rusted or blocked up.
    Open the sunroof, you can see the drain hole in each corner, pour water into the tray & you should see it drip out behind each wheel.

If the ceiling trim inside is a bit droopy then there has been water damage. Put your hand onthe floor behind the drivers seat & rear bench to check for dampness, its either starting from the s/r drain or the ariel mount. Not a big deal to fix if you like removing interiors....

www.cr-x.org irish crx web site

quinn direct, axa, FBD or hibernian won't quote me on ANY crx.
    the only people who will is TESCOs! wait for it............

.......... €2764 fully comp / €2521 third party.
    right. might need to think about this....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I had an Irish '91 Dark Grey DOHC 16v for a few years. Replaced the sunroof (rusted) and timing belt as soon as I got it. Eventually the insurance got too high, (3k renewal) and it was damaged in a theft attempt so I got rid of it. Handling was a bit too lively. It had similar performance to my Friends Mrk1 MR2 1.6 16v. At the time it was very hard to find a clean, CRX, they'd all had a tap or two. I'd say its even harder now. Found a nice Jap '92 SiR at the time, with every extra, but it was too dear for me. Never liked the Del Sol replacement. Felt too cheap compared to the Mrk2.

To be honest the Mrk1 MR2 was a better handling car, and nicer to drive. Ditto the MX5 regardless of the image. I always preferred the look of the CRX which is why I got it. But for some reason I always preferred the 8v Mrk2 GTI Golf I had before the CRX. I wouldn't buy another one myself. I'd buy a Golf GTI or a Mrk1 or2 MR2 T-Bar, Or even a MX5. Clarkson had a Mrk2 CRX for a while. Since I don't like him, maybe its what put me off the CRX.

Pay attention to the tyres. I found the CRX a bit skittish. Mine used to 4 wheel drift too easily, over greasy roads, or when it jumped over ripples and bumps. Mine was on stock suspension, and 14" rims. The CRX is very light so you have to watch it carefully. If you see some accident photos of CRX's you'll realise you are screwed if you have an accident in one. :eek: They are also incredibly easy to break into and steal. Most of them have theft damage. They usually break the steering lock and column.

i agree, don't like the del sol either - looks like a it's from a completely different manufacturer. not mad on old golf gti's or old mr2's and mx5's are very cramped inside. insurance company will not insure me on anything over 1.6 unfortunately. my choices are kind of limited.

any other suggestions ricardo?

KoNiT wrote:

And I'm the current owner of it. :D How are you, sir?

When I was looking I saw some very nice 1.5 SOHC CRX's. They are quite nippy aswell. Its a light car so 100BHP feels like a lot more. I'd pick a car by condition first and performance second. If you can find a clean 1.5 I'd go with that.

All of these cars are pretty much the same size inside. The Mrk2 CRX is actually lower than nearly everything else around. The Golf IMO is the biggest inside, So if you have a problem with the size of that then forget about any of these cars. The CRX is especially tight around the feet, if you are wearing books etc.

going to see a CRX next week, so i'll find out...
    found a cheaper insurance quote aswell. getting tempted...

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

not too bad at all my friend, :D:D

I hope your looking after it, I nearly cried when it left!! Have you changed it in any way? Post a pic please

davidclayton >> I was insured with St Pauls, through a broker. They were the cheapest for me, thats a few years ago though...

As Ricardo Says... mind the tyres.

Yep, I'm looking after it, although other people don't always afford it the same courtesy. Within a couple of months of buying it you, someone drove into it and pushed in the front driver's side wing (the one where I had just had resprayed to remove that patch of rust). This happened not once, but twice.

It still needs the bodywork tidied from that and from where someone did it to you on the driver's door. It's a slow process... :D

Changed the exhaust to a single pipe Janspeed, fitted central locking and installed a new CD/radio. Waiting on a new Pipercross panel filter and clear side indicators (these are to match the new crystal front indicators I'm fitting this weekend).

Here's a pic taken the last time it was clean...

i know we had agreed to meet next week blastman, but i've found 2 CRXs that i'm interested in, but sound like they'll be gone very soon. one is up north and the other is in dublin. i might try to contact the sellers again to see if i can meet them on sunday.

is there any chance someone close by could come with me and make sure all is well? i would pay compensation for experienced advice on this. what ya think...?

dave
    davidclayton AT gmail.com

I had MKI & MKII a while ago. Now I am Honda Mad.

Things o check:
    Early models had problems with igniter unit. So maybe that was replaced already.
    Original exhaust pipe (kind of S shaped) rusts in the same spot on all the cars
    Rear bushing on trailing arms had to be checked
    Japs have plastic lights which go matt
    Windows and sunroof can get very slow in operation(check both)
    DualCarb CRX has sticking choke problem
    Timing belt
    CV joints
    Spoiler shifting on euro non vtec

And the rest of usual things that you check on the car

There has to be coolant in the system instead of water and should be no jumps of temperature when car is full warmed up

Things that do go:
    Rear boot lead struts are more likely gone
    Sunroof drains get blocked and drain pipes shrink (easy fix)
    Rear Window washer may leak water (easy fix)
    Pump relay may give you problems and car will not start after being driven (easy fix)
    Rear boot lead struts are more likely gone
    Rear tail lights may leak water
    Rear shelf tearing in half
    HT leads do go when mileage high

Things to do when you get nice car

Change oil and filter, get set of new spark plugs, check distributor cap and HT leads, ignition timing, check valve clearance and put on set of Continentals and maybe new set of break pads and consider taking the cat out (is more likely dead anyway) after that keep car original :D

Not sure if I get the time but maybe just get a chance to get away and help you with inspection

• Advertisement

Check for rust on the sunroof. Usually its just the rail and you can swap it out. I was told to look at the welds in the boot. If it its been rear ended and repaired you'll see a bit of rust on the seams and also you might find it leaking water into the boot. Though that can be caused by a few things. Check when the timing belt was last changed. I think it had to be done at 60k. If its not done, you need to get it done.

Advertisement