Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regarding censoring of posts.

• 14-09-2001 1:15am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a point I hope will make perfect sense. I noticed that the 'OT - Sympathies with US ' topic had Gladiator's remarks deleted. This is fine but as a result it seems my posting was edited and reaction postings to Gladiator too.
    I think the best way to deal with postings like that is to leave them there and just remove the content with a suitable scolding comment. This means you don't have to edit posts like mine or anybody elses. We have done nothing wrong and in the interest of free speech it's dangerous water to delete a post and edit all other posts after it. Just my feelings on the matter. Also as moderator you have the power to move topics to other forums and notify us. That topic belonged in the Humanities forum strictly speaking and it's a good way to get people into the habit of discussing things in the right place.

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Actually, it wasn't myself that removed Gladiator's posts and edited other people's posts on that thread, so I can't answer for that.
    Also as moderator you have the power to move topics to other forums and notify us. That topic belonged in the Humanities forum strictly speaking and it's a good way to get people into the habit of discussing things in the right place.

Yep, and as moderator I'm about to exercise that power. THIS topic belong in the Admin forum strictly speaking... and that's where it's going to :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Bard if you have invented some reason to pick on me then fine but this post was a request to whoever did edit those posts and they obviously don't read much else but that forum. Now I doubt they will even read what I considered a reasonable post.

Originally posted by musician
    Bard if you have invented some reason to pick on me then fine but this post was a request to whoever did edit those posts and they obviously don't read much else but that forum. Now I doubt they will even read what I considered a reasonable post.

I'm not picking on you, musician- this thread doesn't belong on IrelandOffline. The person who edited those posts was an administrator and to say "they obviously don't read much else but that forum" is simply untrue.

It *was* a reasonable post, but it belongs here on Admin.

Take it easy,

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I edit those posts and its the first time I have "patched up" a thread like that so it could go back on its way.

I dislike doing it and what I did was to remove all trace of Gladiator from that thread including responses to him. Anything on topic was left.

Yes this is dangerous water and I'm not 100% comfortable with it myself but I felt in this case that is was a good thread which was important and had effectively been taken over.

I wouldnt want to see Moderators wholesale editing like that and would ask that you bring such problems to me. I'm not sure we'll see the circumstances for it to happen again tbh.

Hope this answers your point Muso, feel free to discuss it here as I welcome feedback about moderatorship.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

...can move posts to Admin?

As in, if we add a community board to boards and the mod decides to start moving posts all over the place...

People who request and moderate community boards, should be responsible for those boards kindof independantly of boards.ie.

Actual Boards.ie moderators shouldn't have to deal with threads relating to community boards?

If there's technical issues with the community boards then surely We (admins) can step in and fix them, but surely, if someone has a blazer on 'The Frames' community board, or 'Bubbles Board O Lovin' then that should be left to the mod of the board to sort out?

Aren't community boards more of a service to users than our normal boards service, surely we don't have to 'police' the whole lot?

I think we should consider restricting the movement of posts from community boards into our 'Core Boards'. Edit, Lock and Delete functionality only on community boards.

My €0.02

• Advertisement

A very fair point, Luc.

In this case I think it was appropriate to move the post to Admin, as it was more suited there and was really for DeV.

However, while I'm personally not 100% sure on the matter, I'd be inclined to agree that Community Board mod's should be free to police their own boards as they see fit without outside influences and that those boards should be effectively seperated... is this possible in vBulletin?

I'm very glad, by the way, to see that DeV has taken an active interest in IrelandOffline and look forward to reading more of his excellent contributions in future. The more we have on-board making intelligent, productive (and intelligible!) conversation, the better.

[Edit]:
    People who request and moderate community boards, should be responsible for those boards kindof independantly of boards.ie.

In that case, can the community board moderators have the ability to refuse access to their board to certain users if they so desire? I know I've requested this before, but if the Community Boards are to operate independently of the Boards.ie administrators, then we should be afforded more 'power' in a way - be allowed to ban certain individuals from JUST our community board if and when necessary (without necessitating a 12-click)... >???

thoughts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thanks Dev for clearing it up. I understand what you did. And Bard yes I'll take it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Crash&Burn

/me hands muso his rocket launcher

"go blast him out of it son and keep your eyes open for that shield belt " :D

Originally posted by Bard

In that case, can the community board moderators have the ability to refuse access to their board to certain users if they so desire? I know I've requested this before, but if the Community Boards are to operate independently of the Boards.ie administrators, then we should be afforded more 'power' in a way - be allowed to ban certain individuals from JUST our community board if and when necessary (without necessitating a 12-click)... >???

This question still stands...

Comments, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭E-Hub

Just come out and say it, you want me banned and to stay banned,
    You commented several times that I should stay banned, but I warn you to think before you make this personal between you and me, for the most part ive left ioffl alone, I haven’t harmed the actual forum in anyway, if people like your self would leave me alone, how come in every flame that’s meant to be my fault certain people including your self keep poping up.
    You take every chance at getting digs in at me, and you abuse your admin power by deleting my post in an attempt to get me go nuts. Like a little while ago what happened to my tread about eircom adsl prices in Belfast?

Ive been very restrainded in my aproch, ive taken bans and treads directed at me, like a man because basiclly ive allot of respect for the work people put into this place, ive been on the net long enough to know such a place is extremely rare to find.
    but for you ive no repect, ive seen mods ive seen bad mods, and ive seen you.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by E-Hub
    Just come out and say it, you want me banned and to stay banned,

True. I do. But there's more to the above question than just you - the world STILL doesn't revolve around you, you know.

You commented several times that I should stay banned, but I warn you to think before you make this personal between you and we,

Such a warning sounds like a threat.

I'm not making this personal at all. It's a web based bulletin board system, "Joe" - deal with it.

for the most part ive left ioffl alone, I haven’t harmed the actual forum in anyway,

rubbish.
    if people like your self would leave me alone, how come in every flame that’s meant to be my fault certain people including your self keep poping up.

Because I'm the moderator, you fool. It's part of the moderators job to quell arguments and cut flame posts short.

You take every chance at getting digs in at me, and you abuse your admin power by deleting my post in an attempt to get me go nuts. Like a little while ago what happened to my tread about eircom adsl prices in Belfast?

I haven't seen any thread by you about ADSL in Belfast. I saw ONE POST by you in another thread about it here. Although there are probably TOO MANY posts about ADSL at the moment, I certainly didn't delete any post about it... yet.

Take it what ever way you want bard,

I havent harmed the ioffl forum, tell me how many flames have i actually started.
    How many times have i caleld someone a muppet, a FOOL, an asswhole, a idiot, or told them to go **** off,
    it is you just like in this tread that start both with personal name calling and attacks,
    Do what you want bard, what goes around comes around, im not goign to stop posting and you with just have to deal with that

Take it what ever way you want bard,

I havent harmed the ioffl forum, tell me how many flames have i actually started.

It's that many, I've lost count.

How many times have i caleld someone a muppet, a FOOL, an asswhole, a idiot, or told them to go **** off,

Again - a huge number of times. Your memory must be a bit dodgy...

it is you just like in this tread that start both with personal name calling and attacks,

Nope - I rarely, if ever, stoop so low. I called you a fool in this thread, because that's exactly what you're being. "fool" is mild compared to some of the insults you've spewed on the Boards.

Do what you want bard, what goes around comes around, im not goign to stop posting and you with just have to deal with that

You will stop posting if you get banned. It's not your choice you know, and it's not your right to post here.

--

Keep digging, Joe- keep digging.

your a pain in the ass bard,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

He's a moderator. Being a pain in the ass is in the job description. We all take pride in our ability to inflict pain on the asses of muppets.... Er, in a purely abstract and online sense.

hee hee... cheers Shinji :)

AAAAaaaaaAaAanyway...

as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted... (this thread wasn't ABOUT Gladiator/E-Hub/muppet-boy):
    Originally posted by Bard

and this question still stands...

Can I get an opinion from a mod or admin please?

That’s it, im sick of you insulting me, you don’t seem to realize that things like that are what’s causing the problem, little dig like calling me a Muppet then starting about something else, I respond and I get the blame for the flame and taking the tread off topic.
    If you just cut the **** we wouldnt have this problem, im tried of all this crap, and im bringing it to a head, you don’t need an admin to sort this out, you and me can do it in person, so either give me a time and place were we can discuss this in person or get off my back because I don’t want to hear it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

can i be the ref guys.
    i do hate fights, but i wanna see this.
    :):)

Aww gee, poor ickle Gladiator has had all he can take, huh?

Grow up, kid. You are far too insignificant to me for me to possibly have the time or the inclination to meet you for any reason whatsoever.

When you were banned as Gladiator, you said you'd go away to think and see us all again on Monday... It's Sunday and you've had 40 posts as E-Hub. Do you ever drag yourself away from the web and Boards.ie at all?

• Advertisement

I made the offer to resolve this, the hand of friendship went out and was slapped away, it won’t be offered again. I’ve done all I can and thas it.
    What’s with all the Boy and Kid comments? Im not that younger then yourself.
    And as for not being able to pull myself away, you spend a lot more time here then I do.
    This is utterly pointless and without end, you clearly don’t care about ioffl and put your pride before its well being, other wise you would be trying to work out an accommodation with me

Erm if I may step in here:-

1. Bard is correct about the topic. It has nothing to do with what you're saying E-Hub/Gladiator/Whatever.
    2. E-Hub, no offence, but you should make your points very clearly and succinctly with perfect spelling as I find it difficult to understand your arguement. Did you or did you not deserve to be banned? It was Devore who did it the last time if I remember correctly. Are they all wrong? Are you unwilling to accept your wrong doing?
    3. I'll answer the question. Community forums are close to private forums so I do believe that the Mod should be allowed to ban users to the forum exclusively and should prhaps have to report the banning to the admins and explain the reason which could server as a warning to the rest of the mods.

Originally posted by musician

3. I'll answer the question. Community forums are close to private forums so I do believe that the Mod should be allowed to ban users to the forum exclusively and should prhaps have to report the banning to the admins and explain the reason which could server as a warning to the rest of the mods.

Thanks muso... that's what I believe too.

I wonder if the admins are prepared to implement something like that... :)

Bard is correct about the topic. It has nothing to do with what you're saying E-Hub/Gladiator/Whatever.

Bard has started this type of thing before; asking for the rights to 12 clicks a member.
    I challenged him on this and asked if he was talking about me, he used much of the same arguments he has used here, later in another topic he admitted it was me.

What he is asking for may not be solely about me, but have a guess who it will be used on first.

Did you or did you not deserve to be banned? It was Devore who did it the last time if I remember correctly. Are they all wrong? Are you unwilling to accept your wrong doing?

I’ve been banned several times before, never have I complained, its devores (among others) board and it he decides to ban me that’s his choice, I may not agree with the reasons but if I can understand why then I accept them and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

I’ve been banned several times before

Then take the hint.

Going back to the topic at hand. I agree with Bard and others that the community mods should have more control over who participates in their forums. A code of conduct might be useful for members of these communities if they wish to participate. Stating what is appropriate behaviour etc and what behaviour will have you expelled from the community. it should also be clarified exactly what the difference is between a community board and a bulletin board.

my 2c

BNC it takes two to tango, and bards always up for it,
    You see how much he likes me, if I hadn’t been backing down; I wouldn’t have lasted 4 months without a ban,
    Also your idea, ive suggested that at least twice to bard, every time he refuses,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

it seems obvious (even to me) that if you've been banned 2/3 times, then your doing SOMETHING wrong and you seem to keep doing it after your banned. Ive never seen anyone banned from boards.ie without good reason, and usually they are banned with the consensus (sp?) of most active users on the boards.

just take a hint!

just take a hint and do what? ive done all i can do, nobody can accuse me of not doing it,

i listened to people that had a problem with me, and resolved the issues with every single one of them except bard.

Devore told me, listen you post in a certain forum again ill ban you, i didnt post there again, and if he tell me to stop posting in ioffl i will. But it hasnt come to that.

theres only so much a man can give. now nobody can claim that i havent bee resonable in this tread. Id love for this to be sorted. but it hasnt,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I am not an admin or moderator but I think that Community Forum admins should have the right to suspend or ban people if a clear distinction is being made between the Community in question and the main Boards.ie community.

It should be approved by more than one person though to be balanced so many communities might need a 2nd admin.

• Advertisement

Also your idea, ive suggested that at least twice to bard, every time he refuses,

Yes, you've suggested that I write up a 'code of conduct' for the IOFFL forum.

No, I haven't 'refused' to do so,- I just haven't seen the need to do so, saying as I did, that the existing rules of Boards.ie and a bit of COMMON SENSE should be enough.
    Bard has started this type of thing before; asking for the rights to 12 clicks a member.

Wrong again! Please stop mis-quoting me! I didn't ask for the right to 12-click. That would involve banning someone from the entire site and I don't have or ask for that kind of authority.

I asked for the right to ban people, permanently or temporarily - whatever,- exclusively from our own forum ONLY. I think it's a reasonable request and apparently plenty of others agree with me on that.
    later in another topic he admitted it was me.

Care to back that up?

Again - the world doesn't revolve around you. You may have been the catalyst that pushed me into making that request but it was not solely about you. Get over it :p
    Originally posted by yellum:

many communities might need a 2nd admin.

No offence, but I think that should be up to the community/organisation in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

What got him (Gladiator) banned this time anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

As far as I'm aware, DeVore considered comments he made in the IOFFL forum, in a thread expressing sympathy for the events in the US, off-colour. The posts he made were edited so I didn't get to see what he wrote.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

but lets face it bard, if it wasnt for your posts in ioffl and posts in admin complaining about other people or the colour of the boards, youd have about 10 posts.
    why dont you stop harrassong him, you seem to be following him, and posting whenever oyu disagree with anything he says.

i think you just got really p1ssed at him when he trod on your toes over the ioffl incident....

for gods sake, let it lie will you.

and for the record, yes i think community mods should have full power over their boards as they are seperate.

Bard you know i can back up what a said, unless you have deleted them.
    Ive allso all ready said that this probably wasnt solely about we, but as you just admitted, it has got allot to do with me.

I was banned because my comments, while not untrue and inflamatory, were not in keeping with the "spirit of the tread"
    as smuch i was banned.

Now bard, after my first banning at which stage about 3 maybe 4 mods, yourself not included were calling for me to be banned, does it not surprise you just a little that your, for the pass 4-5 months have been the only mod to constantly have issues with we,

Now im willing to call this quits now and make peace, ill even delte this accoutn an rejoin under a new one, and not tell people who i am. if you agree il ldo it now.
    this is the secoudn time ive offered a solution to this problem. i will not offer a third

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's quite clear from this that it's personal between Bard and Gladiator. Therefore Bard is in the wrong because as a mod he should know better. Even in this thread Bard has gone off topic to disect Glads posts which have very little to do with this thread.

The only real solution has been hinted at by my fellow games mod Shinji. I vote that Glad and Bard book themselves into a hotel room and shag like bunnies! This will hopefully reduce the huge sexual tension between them.

GL!

• Advertisement

you only say that because you want to watch :)

Anyway, hes a mod and im a member, thats why im willing to go and come back under a different name, if i have an undertaken that this ends here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hmmm I seem to have missed out in my previous post my opinion of what a muppet you also are. I kind of assumed that was an established fact at this stage.

Yea, im the muppet even though im the one trying to resolve this,
    i dont know why i bother, bard have it your own way because i aint trying anymore, and pay backs a bitch

Huh? Personal? Boll0cks! :)

I couldn't care less, personally.

Joe himself, in person, apparently, is an alright chap... but I don't know him personally, and don't have a particular want or need to (or, to be honest, the time to).

I can't and haven't formed any "personal" opinions about him.

However, he and his on-line persona are two different things, and I simply don't like the guy's online persona. "Gladiator" has time and again annoyed and insulted quite a number of people on the Boards. Why should I, as moderator, put up with that?

Personally, I think "Joe22/Carnivore/Gladiator/E-Hub" should have stayed banned and not have been able to come back as "E-Hub", but like DeVore, I do believe in second chances. Regardless of the large number of second chances 'Gladiator' has already had, I'm willing, as DeV is, to give one last chance.

Now there's nothing "personal" about that. A man would be a fool to take most of what is said on here personally, - but still - some people do. It's the Internet, people... - that's not to say that it's not "real life" - but it's not the same, - and it's most certainly not "personal".

In the grand scheme of things, in "real life", the relations between "Bard" and "E-Hub"/"Gladiator" on the Boards.ie site is nowhere near uppermost in my thoughts.

Now I've better things to do than this, to be honest. If you want to take part in decent constructive discussions on the IOFFL forum, E-Hub, by all means go ahead. - but do rest assured that as moderator of the forum, I will, of course, be keeping my eye on you - as well as everyone else.

I hope that clears things up... and I hope this topic can now be dropped, in favour of more worthwhile conversation.

Peace :D

so i take that as a no? it seems there only one answer for this, you bard are going on my ignor list, hows that for a kick in the head :eek: :p

you know what total diccusses me about all this, is you and we are extremely alike, more so then you probably care to admitt.
    Were both north dubliners, probably the same background, near enough the same age, both go to the same places online, post at the same boards and talk about alot of the same stuff. Both have an interest in arts and graphics and me probably both watch the same Sci Fi programs.

• Advertisement

sorry - cant help laughing out loud at this one...

Were both north dubliners

I'm not a north dubliner

probably the same background

Very very doubtful.

near enough the same age

Aren't you still in secondary school? If so, I'm quite a bit older than you.

both go to the same places online

where do you get that idea?

we probably both watch the same Sci Fi programs

We could... if I watched ANY.

--

Like I said ... you don't know me.

Anyway- this thread has (as most threads that include yer man's input have) gone way off topic. I suggest someone lock it.

You told me in an email you were from north dublin
    "I don't know where you draw your conclusions from really, but I actually live in North County Dublin... "

you have met me, how old do i look?

and im here you here so yes we go to the same places online

As for programs, ive seen you comment on everything from star trek to star wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Couldn't all this childish bickering be solved by bard putting him on ignore, since he can't seem to resist the tempation of ripping apart his posts?

(sorry... hadn't noticed this thread in a while and just had to reply...)
    You told me in an email you were from north dublin
    "I don't know where you draw your conclusions from really, but I actually live in North County Dublin... "

Living in North Co. Dublin doesn't mean that I am, as you said, FROM North Dublin.

I'm not.

you have met me, how old do i look?

Seeing as you asked - about 17 or 18.

and im here you here so yes we go to the same places online

This is ONE site that we have in common. That doesn't mean we have any more in common. You say we go to the same sites, - I say you can't know that.

As for programs, ive seen you comment on everything from star trek to star wars.

... and all that means is that I *have* seen them and not that I (currently) watch sci-fi programs... which I don't, and haven't done in quite a long time.

... anyway,... I thought you had me on "ignore"... how come you end up then replying to this post? :)
    Originally posted by nesf:

Couldn't all this childish bickering be solved by bard putting him on ignore, since he can't seem to resist the tempation of ripping apart his posts?

I don't put anyone on ignore as a matter of principle. I replied to his post (again) to point out the flaws in his logic.

A reply to *this* post isn't really necessary- this thread should have been locked ages ago.

you only say that because you want to watch :)

Anyway, hes a mod and im a member, thats why im willing to go and come back under a different name, if i have an undertaken that this ends here

it makes no odds if you are a memeber or a mod. unless you are posting on a board where the mod has something against you (which is the case here) what you post on other boards simply isnt any business except for the admins and the moderator of that board.
    unless you get someone who likes to moan at every post for some reason or another. to be honest im getting really board of bard posting up every little thing he sees as a problem. which seems to be half the boards these days. i really wish hed take it private or just not read them. i guess we're just lucky he doesnt read the CS boards. the muppetry in there would surely send him into a depression that few have ever returned.

bard, give it a rest will you. i dont know what this crusade is for, but man, its getting boring seeing every second post from you moaning about something or other.

just my own personal opinion that happens to be shared by every other person i talk to. not that you come up as a topic of conversation unless we are talking about muppets.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

to be honest im getting really board of bard posting up every little thing he sees as a problem. which seems to be half the boards these days.

WWMan - get bored of whatever you like. The two boards in question are Admin and IrelandOffline and if you look at both you'll see there's little or nothing of what you describe, nevermind 'half the board'.

As for the disagreement between myself and Gladiator/E-Hub, that's ancient history man - where've you been?

I only replied above to clear up a couple of points... Chill the fluck out man. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

dramaqueen.jpg

good to see you lurking there waiting for a reply.
    see any thing else about you can moan about.
    i havent seen you bring me up yet. surely if i keep saying things about you will finally ask dev to get me to stop picking on you and your pedantic ways?

chill the 'fluck' out?

this coming from you is laughable.
    you are almost zealous in your posting on other people you deem offensive. that is what i have a problem with.
    you are boring. find something worthwhile to do.

whatever you say! :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's nice to see that you're so concerned...

it's old news anyway... consider letting it go now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement