Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9mm Ammo

Options
  • 12-10-2005 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

OK, now in possession of a crisp new firearms certificate, I turn my attention to getting some 9mm ammunition, and am not having much luck - what's the general story with it out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Do the firearms dealers not have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I've tried a few so far, none seem to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Have you tried Smiths in Newry, also Tallaght Road and Gun and also the Gun Gallery in Drogheda.

I purchase my ammo north of the border and in bulk to reduce costs although I have went through 1000 Rounds already.

Did you get the pistol Oversea's and maybe an idea of a sticky for people to know which shops that sell 9MM and other calibres

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

The current situation re Dealers in the South is ammo can only be sold to a licence holder that the dealer has imported the ammo for, ie I acn not walk in off the street and buy 500 rnds for my .45 and a further 500 for my .40, unless the ammunition has being brought in for my specific use. It would seem thar some dealers were selling to all and sundry, this I would gather is now the prefered policy. Your local dealer can apply for a import permit for I think 2.5 times the number shown on your licence, have fun DVC

Following some more calls, it seems most if not all dealers are out of 9mm, and arent sure when they'll have more again, they're waiting for import licences which are taking some time to go through.

What's involved in buying from NI?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Contact dealer in north(preferably in person).Have chat.If dealer can see future buisness from you most will agree to meet you at the border and hand over ammo.You can also apply for PSNI Visitors Permit(if you have someone in the north to sponser you) which will allow you to go up anytime and buy yourself.For details of PSNI permit http://www.psni.police.uk/firearms.htm

cantona wrote:
    Contact dealer in north(preferably in person).Have chat.If dealer can see future buisness from you most will agree to meet you at the border and hand over ammo.You can also apply for PSNI Visitors Permit(if you have someone in the north to sponser you) which will allow you to go up anytime and buy yourself.For details of PSNI permit http://www.psni.police.uk/firearms.htm

There is also a euro license I have heard off whereby you produce it in the North and there is no problem getting whatever ammo you need within the bounds of your license.

I get my ammo from the dealer were I got the pistol and there is no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The Euro pass is not recognised in the UK or NI, it can't be used to bring a firearm into those jurisdictions as is the case on mainland europe. This being the case, I doubt that it will allow you to transport ammo either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

European Firearms Pass is not strictly recognised in North.Visitors permit is required.When applying for permit you must send copy of domestic cert and ORIGINAL European Firearms Pass.Have heard of shooters going to Scotland thru Larne, had visitors permit for Scotland, Euro Pass, domestic cert but no PSNI permit.Had their guns seized.Suggest you read terms on http://www.psni.police.uk/firearms.htm

rrpc wrote:
    The Euro pass is not recognised in the UK or NI, it can't be used to bring a firearm into those jurisdictions as is the case on mainland europe. This being the case, I doubt that it will allow you to transport ammo either.

Thats weird Smiths in Newry insist on it before that they would just take your Southern Irish cert, methinks they are no as custi as they should be

• Advertisement

I acn not walk in off the street and buy 500 rnds for my .45 and a further 500 for my .40, unless the ammunition has being brought in for my specific use. It would seem thar some dealers were selling to all and sundry, this I would gather is now the prefered policy. Your local dealer can apply for a import permit for I think 2.5 times the number shown on your licence,

I'm trying to understand the rationale behind this policy - but given the time lag inherent in importing ammunition, it's self evidently going to lead to huge backlogs in supply and demand. For one thing the Dept must be snowed under with applications for small amounts of ammunition in relation to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

I've contacted my Local Firearms Officer and explained the situation in relation to dealers only being allowed to import 2 and a half times the allocation on my licence.

He has requested that I get a copy of this order that the Firearms Dealers have received in relation to this before he will increase my allowance.

Any Firearms Dealers out there who can furnish me with the directive from DOJ

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭2112

Get an article 7 from your firearms officer to import ammo from the north

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Lough Mourne shooting grounds have all the 9mm ammo you want!!! just got 500 rds of 9mm luger for my glock 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Mezamo wrote: »
    Lough Mourne shooting grounds have all the 9mm ammo you want!!! just got 500 rds of 9mm luger for my glock 17.
    This thread is 3 1/2 years old, I don't think 9mm availability is an issue any more; people are now able to be fussy about particular brands and bullet weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Where are you Rovi?We down here in de "Southwesht" are lucky to get ANY 9mm at all,and you can have it in all types so long as it is Magtech FMJ.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm in the midlands, so there are a fair few places within reasonable reach.
    I've stuck with 124gr Sellier & Bellot for the last year or so as it runs nice and clean and consistently through my CZ 75 TS and I have two suppliers who appear to have loads in stock, but I see planty of other people using Blazer, MagTech, MFS, PMC, etc, and I don't hear them having any great issues getting supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Well lads, just out of interest what price is 9mm rounds?

Advertisement