Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend Direct dirve TT

• 12-10-2005 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good set of direct drive TTs. I've been using belt drive Numarks up till now (bedroom only) and I'm getting a bit tired of having to constantly pinch the spindle to keep the beat in synch. Now I know everyone will say get 1210's but I'm not prepared to spend €600 on second-hand (albeit excellent) decks that I probably won't play in public very often.
    Any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

1210's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

A comedian eh? :rolleyes:

You could get a pair of CDJs if your on a budget. More expensive than 1210s (but you wont have to buy vinyl). Tbh if you want turntables, you should get a second hand pair of 1210s. They are by far the best option

I actually misread your post, I missed the "not prepared to spend" lol

CDJ 800s by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Hub wrote:
    Tbh if you want turntables, you should get a second hand pair of 1210s

Yep - unfortunately I think everyone will probably say get 1210s because theres nothing that really comes close (unless you're willing to pay more). I would say hang on for a while until you get the money for them - well worth it. You'd regret buying a cheapo pair - check the buy and sell online.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies guys. I suppose I should hold out for the 1210s. Someone offered me a set of Stantons but I don't know which ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

yeah if u aint got much to spen buy a set of 1210's for around 550/600 and if it needs a service itl be as good as new after new pitches and service (pitch and service on 1 deck is about 70quid)

Compare the feel of technics to some other decks. Techs feel like they're carved out of a solid block. Other decks feel plastic. I'd even say save up even more and get a new pair. They will last you a very long time

and get MK5's while ur at it. man i hate using MK2's in clubs. that pitch lock is a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Stanton ST-150

I love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

if you don't get technics, you'll wish you had when you have to go get them in 18 months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

Definitely technics or vestax. Vestax look nicer IMO. Functionality is as good on the basic vestax deck and way better on the top of the range models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

yeah but the vestax build quality is lower and you won't use any of the bells and whistles, and the vestax only feel more powerful because there's no grip on the platter and they're harder to correct subtly because of it.

technics all the way, i wish i hadnt settled for numark when i got my first ones... and you'll wish you hadnt settled for less too.

the vestax pdx 2000's aheva way stronger torque than the technics. if the 1210's were as good as that on the vestax they'd be perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

if you don't get technics, you'll wish you had when you have to go get them in 18 months time.

I second that.
    I started out with a pair of gemini xl-500's, got rid of them and got a pair of stanton str8-60's, then 2 years ago i went off and bought a new pair of 1210's MK II.

I wish i had off saved up in the beginning and just went for the 1210's, they are as solid as concrete and i still use mine every week in the studio and have never had any problems with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Im selling these over at the for Sale board if your interested, Although my reason for selling is to get Technics, So i guess you can see a pattern forming here. They're great decks, just not as great as technics. So you can either cut out the middle man and save up for the Technics, or if the itch is too much id go with these.

Those Stantons look pretty nice but is it better to have s-shaped tone arms especially as I'm not into scratching?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

It is probably better to have an S-shaped arm if you're not into scratching, since it reduces record wear and gives less distortion. However I think the differences are quite tiny and only if sound quality and vinyl preservation are of very high priority to you the straight tone arm should be grand.

Advertisement