Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart BB - Not reaching some sites

• 12-10-2005 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

Im a SmartBB user and have noticed that recently a couple of sites are not accessible from my PC.

On Sunday afternoon, for example, www.boards.ie disappeared. It wasnt responding to Pings, and traceroute showed that the path stopped just before the actual boards.ie server.

When I ran a traceroute from any of the websites listed in www.geektools.com, it worked fine. To my this implied some sort of routing issue for Smart (this is of course, pure speculation)

I have also found that I can't login to hotmail. I can reach the front page, and login successfully (as verified in ethereal), but when I go to load the hotmail inbox (from bay101.hotmail.msn.com or similarly named server) it just times out.

Has anyone come across this type of problem from Smart telecom BB recently?

Im not 100% ruling out PC issues but I really can't see what would be happening - Im up to date on spybot and virus checks and all seems ok generally.

Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 colmmloc

posting the actual traceroutes would help methinks.

colm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Smart have a support forum might be worth posting there if the problem persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

ok, back with a little more info.

First off, I have ruled out the possibility of this being a PC issue. I have tried connecting to the hotmail account from another computer via the same broadband connection and it doesnt work. I have also used this same laptop to connect (within the space of 5 mins) via a work connection and it works fine. Very strange.

Heres the traceroute from smart.

Tracing route to www.bay101.hotmail.com [64.4.56.250]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.123.254
    2 8 ms 3 ms 3 ms AolynkDslRouter.local.lan [192.168.1.1]
    3 27 ms 21 ms 20 ms 84-203-0-1.mysmart.ie [84.203.0.1]
    4 28 ms 20 ms 21 ms 84.203.130.113
    5 106 ms 99 ms 98 ms fe7-5.cr01.nyc02.pccwbtn.net [63.216.4.141]
    6 111 ms 105 ms 105 ms pos5-1.br02.ash01.pccwbtn.net [63.218.44.70]
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.

When I look in detail at the attempt to load the inbox from the bay101.hotmail.com, I receive a TCP SYN ACK, and then no response to the actual HTTP GET request. So the GET request is resent by local TCP a couple of times until a TCP RST is eventually received. So there are packets coming back from this bay101 server, but no HTTP level responses.

So this is a problem that only happens from Smart Broadband, and is very strange.

Garfield???? :)

Edit: I have just failed to post this message via smart broadband, but when I use my work connection (via VPN), it has posted first time.

Did you try posting this in the Smart forum?

Anyways a long shot for you I remember reading a similar problem to this in a magazine and they suggested it might be an MTU issue - some informatin here,

Dont suppose you have any old settings from a previous isp still loaded?

Gonna post to smart forum later today, but felt the wider audience of geeks on boards might pay off :D

I certainly didnt change any PC settings in the ISP move (Eircom to Smart), I just changed routers. Im not sure the MTU setting would/should make much difference - surely that would simply cause a bit of IP fragmentation .. Also the fact that it happens on 2 different PC's.

• Advertisement

otron wrote:
    Gonna post to smart forum later today, but felt the wider audience of geeks on boards might pay off :D

I certainly didnt change any PC settings in the ISP move (Eircom to Smart), I just changed routers. Im not sure the MTU setting would/should make much difference - surely that would simply cause a bit of IP fragmentation .. Also the fact that it happens on 2 different PC's.

Apparently the mtu can stop some sites appearing - another issue which arose at one stage wtih UTV was that a proxy was needed to access some sites. Are you using the Smart router?

Will give the MTU setting a try anyway... out of desperation if nothing else :confused:

Im using the Smart Huawei/Aolynk router which is connected to another router which has a WLAN adaptor.

Advertisement