Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marshes Shopping Centre in Dundalk.

Options
  • 12-10-2005 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Due to open on November 3rd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

lookin forward to it, dundalk needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Nice article about it in the commercial property section of the Irish Times today, no online version as far as I know.

dont have access to irish papers at the min, but ill b home round halloween to have a wee look!

how does it look?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Looks big, tis shuge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Commercialproperty Wed, Oct 12, 05

€150 million Dundalk shopping centre to open in November
    Jack Fagan

ShoppingCentres: A third shopping centre is to open in Dundalk on November 3rd.

The Marshes shopping centre, which is expected to have an investment value of €150 million, will introduce a range of high profile multiples which are moving into the town for the first time.

The 37,160sq m (400,000sq ft) centre is being funded by a group of Northern Ireland businessmen which bought the site from a consortium of Fyffes and Lagan Developments.

Dunnes Stores with 9,290sq m (100,000sq ft) and Penneys with 6,503sq m (70,000sq ft) will be the anchor tenants in the centre which will also have about 40 retail units, a foodcourt, petrol filling station and drive-through restaurant. The developers are understood to have secured around €31 million for the two anchor stores. The centre will have 1,350 car-parking spaces.

Zone A rents will be in the region of €1,290 per sq m (€120 per sq ft), according to Criona Collins of letting agents BTW Shiells. The smallest shops are renting at up to €968 per sq m (€90 per sq ft) while larger units are making half that figure. About 80 per cent of the retail space has already been allocated and a further 10 per cent is awaiting legal ratification.

Tenants already committed include River Island, A Wear, Easons, Virgin, Boots, Sasha, New Look, Lifestyle Sports, Claire's Accessories, Barratt, Costa Coffee, O'Brien's Sandwich Bar, Exhibit, Diamond Jewellers, McArdle Butchers, Pulse, Heaven and Hallmark.

The success in attracting so many multiples, particularly fashion retailers, stems from the shortage of suitable units in the town up to now.

Keith Shiells of the letting agent says that the retail market in Dundalk was currently quite fragmented and, for that reason, the Marshes would help to consolidate the town centre and prevent leakage of shoppers to places like Newry and Drogheda.

He believed the new centre would prove a major economic boost to the town and create 1,000 new jobs. Drogheda is also to get a new shopping centre in the run up to Christmas when Scotch Hall opens in the docklands.

The owners of the new Dundalk centre believe that shoppers will be impressed by the style and finish, particularly the double height shop fronts and the glazed domes over three central courts connecting to the malls.

The exterior has been designed as a streetscape linked by a new high street to the Ramparts Road. The centre has several different architectural styles, including feature towers, dormers, copulas and clocks reflecting Dundalk's period architecture. The Marshes links into the town centre through a plaza with external shops fronting Ramparts Road.

The opening of the new complex will undoubtedly have long term implications for the two other main shopping centres in Dundalk. The first one, built by Monarch Properties almost 30 years ago and now owned by Tesco, is due to be redeveloped. The second centre, the Long Walk, which opened about eight years ago, suffers from a poor tenant mix.

The decision by Penneys to move from the Long Walk to the Marshes will be a particularly severe blow to the older centre. Dunnes currently trades out of two supermarkets in Dundalk, one along the main street and the other at Ard Esmund [Edit: can no one spell Árd Éasmuinn(only reason I know how to spell it cos I live there)]. The developers of The Marshes own several other shopping centres in Northern Ireland, including the Abbey centre and Forest Side in Belfast, and Foyleside in Derry.

© The Irish Times

Here are some photos of it a few months ago:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Dublin1/Marshes4.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Dublin1/Marshes2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Dublin1/Marshes3.jpg

They also have a website but its not open www.themarshesshopping.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

Cool!

Everyone can hang around texting each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'll repost this as it went missing when the upgrade took place.....

I went into the Dundalk Shopping Centre on the Dublin Road for the first time in 8 years since I lived there, and I couldnt believe how delapidated the place has become. I had to call into Tesco after going to Newry, and I was shocked to see a lot of shops now closed, a great newsagents now gone, nothing open upstairs etc.

Is this because of the Newry factor? And if it is, shouldnt this affect the new shopping centre??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

DMC wrote:
    I'll repost this as it went missing when the upgrade took place.....

I went into the Dundalk Shopping Centre on the Dublin Road for the first time in 8 years since I lived there, and I couldnt believe how delapidated the place has become. I had to call into Tesco after going to Newry, and I was shocked to see a lot of shops now closed, a great newsagents now gone, nothing open upstairs etc.

Is this because of the Newry factor? And if it is, shouldnt this affect the new shopping centre??

Well really just ask yourself the question.Why did you not go to it for eight years? The reason there is noting in the shopping center lets be honest here.The next place to close down will be cd world , especially with virgin and hmv coming to the marshes.the dundalk shopping center is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

I heard that they were going to knock down the old shopping centre when the new one opens and revamp the whole area and even get rid of the bridge as you enter the town and change the road layout??

yea i heard that they were gonna put a roundabout there at the hill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

the reason why all the shops are closed in the old dsc is cos tescos are buying all the leases and leaving the units empty.
    Once everyone is out, as someone already said, they are knocking it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

yeh, they are going to make a roundabout at the hill. You will be able to go straight on into town, or take a right to come to the Alphonsous Rd-Avenue Rd new road ao you will be able to go to the Marshes SC that way. You will be able to go left to the M1 (The new Dundalk Western Bypass). (Note: These directions are given as if you were coming from the south and goin into town)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

My dad got an invite to the opening to it and on the front it has a view of what it will look like inside and it reminds me of the ButterCrain in Newry.

EDIT:
    Here is an image of it:
    http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image28sg.jpg

think of the buttercrane in newry and the quays compared to the longwalk and old sc!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Dat pic looks loads like da buttercrane.

Does anybody know whether the Duness Stores coming in is goin to be just clothes or is it goin to be clothes and groceries.

I know that Dunnes Stores have bought a unit which has a mezzanine and Penny's have bought a two story one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Does anybody know whether Dunnes Stores is goin to hav groceries in it or just clothes???????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

You already said that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Joaqattack

Well being a past Dunnes employee if they have a shop with a mezzanine I expect it is a dual store - i.e grocery & drapery. A flagship store also I expect.

Joaqattack wrote:
    Well being a past Dunnes employee if they have a shop with a mezzanine I expect it is a dual store - i.e grocery & drapery. A flagship store also I expect.
    Yeh, I guess. I heard that they are closing down the Ard Esmund store and all its employees are moving to the Marshes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

eamoss wrote:
    ....it reminds me of the ButterCrain[sic] in Newry.
    Yes Eamo, but will it have the same quality of girlies! - Alas, I fear not :)

Dr. Dre wrote:
    Yes Eamo, but will it have the same quality of girlies! - Alas, I fear not :)

hey hope you are not slating the females of this town??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

The Dunnes Stores in The Marshes will be the Flagship store meaning it is the biggest one of all, it will have a clothes, homeware (possibly) and grocery section. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Does anyone know how to get there from The Dundalk Train Station? Is it walkable IE ten to twenty minutes?
    I will be out in the Virgin tomorrow to do work for Thursday's apparent opening on behalf of Virgin Dundrum in Dublin.
    Anyone know?
    Many thanks,
    Noobsaibot21

its a 10-15 min walk.

come out of the train station , turn left , walk straight till you get into town then ask anyone.

Or you can ring a taxi at the train station 0429377777

If i give you this link, would you be able to image host it with a nice big red dot?

http://www.dkit.ie/images/website/Dundalk-town.gif

Any arcades around?
    Many Thanks,
    Noobsaibot21

its on the ramparts road, behind the library. i pm'd u details

dont need to do that , look at the libary its behind the libary!

Oh right. That bit where it says town centre :o
    Many Thanks Guys (and gals?)
    Does the Centre look fit enough to open on Thursday? We were told we were opening on Thursday at eleven but someone else said the place is mainly still a building site...
    Oh well, Guess i'll find out tomorrow.
    Reagrds,
    Noobsaibot21

• Advertisement

couldnt tell ya tbh havent been down that way!

(PS cailin indicates girl)

Advertisement