Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marshes Shopping Centre in Dundalk.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Is Cailin Irish? Damn my Dublin Irish knowledge.
    Anyway,
    Thanks again :D
    Noobsaibot21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

yup cailin is the irish for girl (see you learn something new every day!!) well for all i knew u might not be irish or have studeid irish so i was pointin it out!! dont get the impression that im big on the irish lingo, just thought it was cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

someone else said the place is mainly still a building site...

They weren't wrong, at lunchtime it was a blur of activity. Laying tarmac, putting up signs etc etc and that was just the outside.

I couldn't believe it when the security said it was opening tomorrow. Fair play to them if they get it all sorted out but l just couldn't see it happening..........well not all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Well is it open?

Come on who is gonig to be the first to give us all a report!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Bluetonic wrote:
    Well is it open?

Come on who is gonig to be the first to give us all a report!

Yeah its open ,but the guys are still working on it looks great on the outside havent been in it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Rumour has it that it aint free parking either - it's been subbed out to a third party. Charges of €1.50-€2 have been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dr. Dre wrote:
    Rumour has it that it aint free parking either - it's been subbed out to a third party. Charges of €1.50-€2 have been mentioned.

I actually went into it today to fetch a set of keys and i was infact advised that i would have to pay to park , now i obviously didnt because i was only a few mins in and out.

In fairness pay parking inn't a big surprise because at the end of the day the town is pay parking and the shopping center is in the town basically.

Yeah I suppose if you think about it, it's not a great a surprise.

so my first thoughts..there was more shops open than i expected, penneys, dunnes, boots, awear, barratts, virgin, hallmark..the place wasnt fully ready as we knew, which is a pity cos its quite impressive! the traffic lights were up, but the gardai had to regulate traffic. penneys and dunnes are huge. think there's a food court upstairs but that wasnt open either. anyone else been in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I actually completely forgot about this. Might check it out today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Was in it today, Its very nice & very big was loads of people in it. Sad about most shops not being open!:(

Was it just me or was all the good looking women out? ;)

Here is a photo of it:
    http://img346.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0039no.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmcquaid

i'm a labourer at the marshes and i was surprised that it looks so well now compared to last week although we had to work 24 hours straight from 8 yesterday morning to 8 this morning. tiles were still being put down at midnight last night and walls being painted with huge heaters used to speed up the drying time. it wont be fully completed until christmas or janurary. did anyone else notice that the place is full of leaks. many mornings we would come into work and there would be huge puddles around. to see some of the leaks look up at the ceiling about 20 foot inside the entrance facing the rampards

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I noticed no leaks. It looks unfinished on the outside but I think the inside looks grand.

Most of the shops were open, but some weren't.

I thought Dunnes Stores was supposed to be a mezzanine store. It is only 1 floor and no bigger (possibly smaller) than Ard Esmund one???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmcquaid

look where i told you and you will see the damp patches on the ceiling there is also some leaks in the toilets upstairs and in the food court but obviously thats not open yet

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Eamoss I thank you for using my Dundalk photographs without either a credit nor link to the host page - I trust with my latest selection you may choose to 'borrow', you will see fit to attribute them to me, or at the very least www.archiseek.com, where one will also find a wealth of information relating to the architecture of Dundalk town.

Thank you.

As for the The Marshes, it is the biggest pile of pastiche trash to be built in these islands since 1980.

Real living 18th century heritage is destroyed on Earl Street for a ghastly 'contemporary' granite-clad concoction on the R Q O'Neill site instead of a sensitive rebuild, whilst a false 'traditional' heritage is generated with Queen Anne, Georgiana, Victoriana, Edwardiana and everything in between tacked onto a giant metal box out at the The Marshes - the very place where contemporary design could have had a free reign.

Encapsulates modern Ireland to a tee.

GrahamH wrote:
    blah blah blah
    Well, what a wonderful introduction to the forums you've made :rolleyes:
    So they were your camera phone pics that Eamo used?
    GrahamH wrote:
    As for the The Marshes, it is the biggest pile of pastiche trash to be built in these islands since 1980
    Really? What makes it so different than A N Other generic shopping mall/centre? i.e. Blanchardstown, Tallaght et al. (I'm not taking the p**s either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

GrahamH wrote:
    Eamoss I thank you for using my Dundalk photographs without either a credit nor link to the host page - I trust with my latest selection you may choose to 'borrow', you will see fit to attribute them to me, or at the very least www.archiseek.com, where one will also find a wealth of information relating to the architecture of Dundalk town.

Sorry Graham, I didn’t even think about giving you credit or tell people where I got the photos from because I do when I copy text from websites. In future I wont make that mistake again. I was only trying to show people what it looked like because most of them would not know about www.archiseek.com. This might sound a harsh but if you are so worried about people using your photos you should have a '©Graham Hickey' on the bottom of your photos, This is what I do on my photos so if people use them they will have to ask me to send them the photo with out my name on it or when they have it up it has my name on it e.g. Here & Here. Call me sad if you want but I feel proud when I see my photos used on other sites.

EDIT::
    From El Paso Times
    SUPERQUINN DUNDALK
    As reported by El Paso Time some months ago Superquinn are to close their Dundalk store in the very near future. More details to follow.......
    posted by Editor at 10:52 AM

eamoss wrote:

EDIT::
    From El Paso Times
    SUPERQUINN DUNDALK
    As reported by El Paso Time some months ago Superquinn are to close their Dundalk store in the very near future. More details to follow.......
    posted by Editor at 10:52 AM

i heard they were givin it a year, and if it doesnt pick up, its being sold

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

No problem eamoss - just it's standard practice where I'm from as it were :) (archiseek)
    As you are evidently conscious of copyright by putting your name on your images, you'll know how it's courteous if nothing else to acknowledge other people's work, whatever about accreditation for copyright.
    I don't like putting a text on them simply because it spoils images :). Used in the context of the host page, it isn't required.

That's interesting about Superquinn, though by no means surprising. Yet another blow for that corner of the town, an area that has frankly going down the tubes over the past 5 years. That whole Carroll Village scheme was never going to be a success - from the moment it opend this was apparent.
    The Marshes is only going to compound this decline.
    Combined with the Long Walk, it's a sorry waste of development all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gazbstn

it's probably only a matter of time before Superquinn closes. However whatever happened to the extension they submitted for the carroll village awhile ago? were they applied for a second floor and multipe story car park, probably got shot down by the council.

anyways once Tesco open their development for the old SC it's only a matter of time before other supermarkets close in the town.

The whole Long Walk development was a disaster from the start, no doubt it'll be gone in a few years with some apartment development -- just what Dundalk needs more off.

BTW how's the traffic around the Marshes ? Glad to see they built a road at the back of it to help with congestion; something sensible from the council making it a prerequisite for the developers to construct and pay for, though I'm sure the Pay Parking at the center will off shoot that cost in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Carroll Village R.I.P. methinks

the traffic was quite busy thu, as to be expected, took us a while to get out to jocelyn st, but the new road is still a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

I was in it on Saturday. The parking was free. It was packed. Noticed a
    small fault with pennys:

The childrens clothes area were upstairs which ment the you have to wait to get the elevator (which only takes one buggie at a time) to the first floor with a buggie.

The changing room for the kids is on the ground floor which ment i then had to get the buggie back on the elevator to the ground floor to the changing rooms for the kids to try on the clothes. Then back up as the sizes were wrong and do it all again.

Im not going through that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

sandyg wrote:
    I was in it on Saturday. The parking was free. It was packed. Noticed a
    small fault with pennys:

The childrens clothes area were upstairs which ment the you have to wait to get the elevator (which only takes one buggie at a time) to the first floor with a buggie.

The changing room for the kids is on the ground floor which ment i then had to get the buggie back on the elevator to the ground floor to the changing rooms for the kids to try on the clothes. Then back up as the sizes were wrong and do it all again.

Im not going through that again!
    That's a very good point actually. I'd like to think it's just a marketing thing rather than such a huge fault that nobody noticed.

Edit: and by that I mean that maybe there wasn't enough space/enough of a budget and it was decided (as is quite obvious anyway) that more business would be made by positioning the main ladies range on the ground floor and the rest upstairs rather than the other way round, and they just cut their losses.

yea u mentioned that sandyg, well its something that will affect/annoy mothers or people with young children, you cant even run out and change the size cos its so far away from the dressing room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MKDon's

I'm coming home for a few days at the end of the month and very much looking forward to having a wander round the new shopping centre. I was a bit worried to hear that Tesco may be buliding on the site of the DSC, this is bad news for small businesses in the area. I live close to a Tesco extra that's huge, ground floor is all food and the first floor is homeware, clothing and electricals, the refit has only just been finished and already local retailers are feeling the pinch. Competition is fine, monopolies however leave you with very little choice in the long run. I hear the new sc is to have a Costa Coffee, it's not Starbucks but it'll do! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

River Island opens today (friday)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

scotch hall pisses all over the marshes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

The people in the 02 store have to be the most ignorant people i have EVER met in my entire life! Seriously!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

They are going to be charging for parking can't say that will go down well in Dundalk. Thieving Bast*rds this is not Dublin.

I for one will either walk there or go elsewhere to much of rip of Ireland heading our way, remember when the council tried to increase the street parking and the uproar that caused.

At least in other shopping centres it is the first three hours free, so they can go and F*ck off :mad:

Advertisement