Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marshes Shopping Centre in Dundalk.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I work there !

assistant was it today you were in ?

Speaking to dundalkcallin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I was in the Marshes Shopping Centre during the week, I think it looks great but I was wasn't very impressed with the shops at all. I went to Scotch Hall in Drogheda today and it is MILES better. Apart from the fact that is doesn't have a Boots Store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Yeah but who wants to goto MARS BAR Land they all look funny down there and think they are Jackheens :D

Although my brother in law would not agree :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

Was in the Marshes on Saturday, holy sh*t there was a fine looking girl working in Lifestyle!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

cotillion wrote:
    Was in the Marshes on Saturday, holy sh*t there was a fine looking girl working in Lifestyle!!

Indeed there was. Nice place. Not overly impressed with it though. Will be a lot better when all the units are full. Great to have a decent music shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

That decent music shop (Virgin Megastore) has been utterly fleeced by thieves, losing thousands of euros worth of stock in their first couple of weeks open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Sarge wrote:
    I work there !

assistant was it today you were in ?

Speaking to dundalkcallin
    sorry? where do u work, who is assistant? and were u talking to me in the marshes, or talkin to me in the posts??

Sorry my comment was directed at Dundalk Online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

ah u meant to write dundalkonline...k i get it!! ur usually giving out to me for some reason so forgivve me for reading your post, reading my name, and wondering what the hell id done now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Nickibaby* wrote:
    I was in the Marshes Shopping Centre during the week, I think it looks great but I was wasn't very impressed with the shops at all. I went to Scotch Hall in Drogheda today and it is MILES better. Apart from the fact that is doesn't have a Boots Store.

I have to agree. The Marshes has absolutely no selection when it comes to men's clothing. I don't really want New Look's "farmer look". Scotch Hall is in a different league. Waterstone's there wins hands down over the badly-stocked Eason's in the Marshes. Scotch Hall is more impressive architecturally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sarge wrote:
    Sorry my comment was directed at Dundalk Online.
    I was in o2 one day, intent on impusle buying a ipod nano, the display model had no feckin songs on it, also i was waiting at the counter, and one of the lads just ****ed off, fair enough, the two other lads(yourself and anthony) were busy with some customers, but this lad just kinda buggered off, after me waiting 15mins to splash 300 quid on impulse audio :)

Done a u-turn and left

Ah thats disappointing i must say Baz , eh sure come back in again and if i see you ill try and get you sorted the nano is only 2gb = 209 4gb 259 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 quinbo

What a load of crap their parking is. Coming from Newry - we were passing all the southerners heading for The Quays and Buttercrane we were very impressed with the building if not the range of shops.

However the pay parking caused me and my wife to have a major bust up after a mornings shopping on the credit card. We didnt have any Euros and were charging all our purchases. But when we went to pay at the meter it wouldnt recognise any of our chip and pin credit cards so we had to go back into the centre to buy Nurofen that we didnt need in Boots with a 10 sterling note. The change we were given was a crumpled old note that wouldnt work in the machine either.
    I chanced a pound sterling to see if it would recognise it and allow us to pay. Fat chance - my sterling coin blocked the machine!!!!
    Went back to the centre and bought a bottle of water with the crumpled ten and got coins to pay. We lost more money on the clogged machine - thats how we knew the sterling coin had caused the blockage.

Dont the Dundalk developers know that Newry bends over backwards to accept the Euro - so why no reciprocation.
    I think it cost us about 7 euro in the end to park for an hour and there was nobody around to complain to. I didnt calm down for about two hours. I now hate that place and will NEVER go back. **** the Marshes and their ****e Pay Parking. Stick it up your arse _ I hope you fail

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

looks good from the outside. Why the GPO theme?? yep another useless post. But sure what the hey!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Hopefully the Nordies will keep the fcuk out of Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Well in fairness Newry is as euro friendly place as you're gonna get, and in a way you's spoiled with the quality of the 2 newry shopping centres.

That said, I was 10 times more impressed with Scotch Hall(drogheda) than The Marshes.

I can see where quinbo's coming from though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

bazH wrote:

I can see where quinbo's coming from though

You must live on high ground near Newry then?

mise_me_fein banned for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 r_sheridan

The dundrum sholpping centre in dublin, is 100 times better than the marshes, it may look pretty on the outside, but looks arent everything. the virgin megastore in the marshes is 1/3 of the size of the one in dublin! seriously, i laughed! it needs more shops, the location is lovely. but for shopping id spend the hour goin to dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm not overly impressed with it either. Although this is only phase 1 of the project with 2 more planned phases.

It's getting bad reviews in the local rag weekly.
    Complaints about the pay parking, toilets being on the first floor away from all the action, no decent baby changing facilities, no feeding area if a mother wants to breast feed and finally, there has been complaints that they're not 'sterling friendly, mentioned by a previous contributer I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

i have to laugh everytime i see dundalk's "anti-pride culture" rearing its ugly head, guys there is one thing that makes the marshes magic... the old shopping centre and the longwalk!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

i have to laugh everytime i see dundalk's "anti-pride culture" rearing its ugly head, guys there is one thing that makes the marshes magic... the old shopping centre and the longwalk!

Dundalk's "anti-pride culture" - what are ye on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Hey now! :)
    You cannot beat the old shopping centre, much better than that longwalk kip.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm pretty disappointed with the shopping centre myself. There is sweet FA for men in it and there isn't a great selection of resturants either (none so far in fact) and you have to walk a mile to the jacks. Otherwise, its very impressive, very spacious etc.

Sparks400 wrote:
    Dundalk's "anti-pride culture" - what are ye on about?

Nobody from Dundalk ever seems to be proud of any town achievments or great things other towns dont have(cept me and tim and cailin :p)... it always just "dundalk only has this but drogheda has that". And if its not drogheda its newry or somewhere else! Dundalk is a great town; the first new city of the millenium, that has a beautiful new shopping centre and will soon to have its own university and a massive retail park; that is great for a town/city of this size. Sure drogheda might have a "multi purpose recreational village" or whatever bull**** they are calling it, but we are safe in the fact that in ten years time we wont be just another suburb of Dublin like drogheda will be. *takes a deep breath* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Regarding the above post:
    As far as I can see, the proposed university is not a good thing. DKIT was not intended to be a university, and there are good reasons for that.

At the moment it provides education at a level to suit everybody from the very un-academic to those who are certain to excel in their field, without imposing any of the obligatory "university" high standards on any of its students. By all means, the standards are there for the taking, but they are in no way forced upon those who aren't as capable or simply don't want to do as well.

In my opinion, this "atmosphere", if you will, is a huge credit to DKIT, and without it the college would just not provide the same opportunities. It's perfect as and IT and turning it in to a university will spoil what it has taken so long to build up.

Sure when it opened it was intended as a regular college (IT) but almost all of the upgrading of facilities and infrastructure in the past 5 years has solely been for the purpose of meeting university standards. A university doesnt necessarily mean having the same standards as Trinity but it does mean more courses for more people. I think Whitaker University will be absolutley buzzing and vibrant much more than any IT could be. And it will also be great for Dundalk to assert its independence from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I see your point, but I meant more along the lines of the almost subconscious standards. Yes, technically it won't necessarily have the same standards as Trinity, but even the title of University pushes the standards up in the minds of students and potential students, and it just won't have the same "everybody welcome" feel to it as it does now.

• Advertisement

Yeah i can see your point. :cool:

Advertisement