Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marshes Shopping Centre in Dundalk.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Nobody from Dundalk ever seems to be proud of any town achievments or great things other towns dont have(cept me and tim and cailin : *takes a deep breath* :)

And you are speaking on behalf of who, the population af dundalk?

This thread is about the marshes shopping centre, which is a private investment. I wouldn't have said it was one of Dundalks achievments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

It made good use of wasteland although.

It is a nice SC but opened to early hence feck all opened yet and as for Drogheda, well they are a subrurb of Dublin and we are outside that sphere and Dundalk is a great town compared to the rest of the Kips in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

But that company wouldn't have located in Dundalk if some people in this town hadn't worked so hard to build up its image and industry. Those people have turned Dundalk from the IRA town with high unemployment and crime to a bustling urban centre which welcomes new businesses, like the marshes. And everytime a company like that locates here we should be proud that they came here because if you step back and take a look; Dundalk is a brilliant town, but nobody ever says it. I am here to say it. ***EDITED*** I don't like drogheda. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gazbstn

well growing up there in the late 70s/80s I have to admit I hated it. There wasn't much to do and it looked awful but then again everywhere in Ireland seemed to me to be the same .. awful.

When I got older I wanted to get out fast, went to London for 1 year, hated that place even more, decided to go back to Ireland and go to uni. Once I graduated I was not going anywhere near Dundalk only to visit family. I decided to move to Dublin in the mid 90s, which was fantastic at the time, but soon it became too expensive, crowded etc. for me , well compared to what I was earning, so I moved once again over the pond to the US, where thankfully with my job I've managed to travel all over the world and have seen many different countries /towns/cities.

Now when I go back to Dundalk I find it has changed for the better. The roads are some of the best in the country, transportation to Dublin or Belfast, be it on bus or train are excellent. The retail scene has woke up finally, some of the new housing developments of course are questionable. But over all I really like what has been done over the last 5 years or so with the town. to me it's a completely different town and actually compared to what I see other countries call cities, Dundalk seems to take on a larger land area than most of those.
    Yes there are still certain parts which I don't like, such as Bridge St but compared with the 80s it's all great!

And one thing that has not changed with me, is my dislike of Drogheda, to me it is still one of the biggest Kips I've ever come across. And why anyone would choose to live there is beyond me.

Dundalk was once a bad/awful/kip or whatever you want to call it but it certainly cannot be described as that now.

However the one thing I don't like about it is : Drunks/Fights/Crime, the few times I've gone home over the last few years I'm warned not to walk home at night like I used to when I was a teenager. I dismissed the "mother" for babying me on that. but needless to say I learnt my mistake on one of my trips home. Drink and young Dundalk fellas don't seem to be a good match anymore. Not that I see everytime I go out but I seem to see more and more fights etc. nowadays. Seems an ugly habit that was picked up from the streets of England I'm sad to say. I've gotten drunk in a lot of different places across the world (and no I don't have a problem :) ) but would love to go out drinking in my own home town without having to worry about own safety and why I can no longer walk the 20min trip from town to home ? yeah there was some of that when I lived there but that was more off: you stepped on my toes, here's my fist and not oh! we're a bunch of drunk late teenagers lets like jump this asshole walking home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalkonline Im giving you a warning for the last line in your post which i have edited , Consider it lucky that im not going to ban you , i feel you add something to the forum please dont ruin this.If you would like to discuss this please feel free to PM me and do not discuss here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

I'd fully concur with you Dundalk Online - there is such a self-deprecating element in Dundalk it is quite extraordinary. Saying that, if you live outside the 'youth culture' of the town, and all that Saturday night crap when the scum come out to play - there is really little to complain about.

Dundalk is without doubt one of the most beautiful towns in Ireland - it is mind-blowing how Dundalk's people haven't woken up to this fact. It has a magnificent Georgian core in Park St, Earl St, Market Square, Clanbrassil St, Roden Place and Joceyln St.
    It features some of the most architecturally outstanding buildings in Ireland - the Courthouse, Carrolls Factory, St Patricks, the Railway Station and the 1838 Louth Hospital.

But it's not just these token buildings that are of significance - it is the magnificent vernacular streetscapes of Clanbrassil St, Chapel St, the whole area around the Railway and Garda Stations, Seatown with ranks and ranks of Victorian housing, St Mary's Road/North, Stapleton Place opposite the Old Shopping Centre - one of the finest vistas in the East, the straight-as-an-arrow Joceyln St/Seatown Place thoroughfare darting out from Crowe St, unobstructed for nearly a mile with the Cooley Mtns terminating the vista, lined the whole way along its length with the most stunning collection of virtually unaltered Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian housing. There is nothing like it in Ireland. It is designated an Architectural Conservation Area, as is Clan St, Earl St, The Crescent, Seatown, and many others, some of the first ACAs to be enacted in the country.

Think of the wonderful atmosphere of leafy Roden Place, lined with mellowed 18th and 19th century buildings with the recent striking introduction of the contemporary Couthouse extension, the admirable new Social Welfare offices out on the by-pass, the award-winning Bus Éireann station beside the Long Walk, the internationally renouned Carrolls Factory on the Dublin Road, the extraordinary historic atmosphere of northern Clanbrassil St with the Green Church, the old Carrolls Factory, and St Nicholas' Church, and the beautiful red brick Edwardian office building of the Carrolls complex.
    And as for the stacks of Victoriana in the acres of railways sheds and worker housing around the train station!

People just view towns as retail spaces which is a great shame - if a town doesn't have Boots or Awear then it's a 'kip' or whatever.
    Dundalk has so much going for it; if anything it is depending too much on retail. It needs to diversify into more service and high-grade jobs. There's only so much retail it can take.

As such, the Marshes provides an adequate mixture of stores, though nothing spectacular. There's more than enough gievn what Dundalk already has. Externally however, it is such a pathetic let-down. The architecture is an utter farce, a theme park of historic styles slapped over a giant shed. There's Gothic, Tudor, Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian and Toyland all combined in the most laughable pastiche job ever executed in this country.
    It puts Dundalk to shame - what an embarrassment.
    There's pictures at the bottom of theis page if you're interested, and the next :eek:

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=3901&page=3

The planners must have been crying over there blueprints when this was being passed. What a disappointment decent contemporary design wasn't given an outing on this occasion - Dundalk had such a good reputation in this department until now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

GrahamH wrote:
    I'd fully concur with you Dundalk Online - there is such a self-deprecating element in Dundalk it is quite extraordinary. Saying that, if you live outside the 'youth culture' of the town, and all that Saturday night crap when the scum come out to play - there is really little to complain about.

Dundalk is without doubt one of the most beautiful towns in Ireland - it is mind-blowing how Dundalk's people haven't woken up to this fact. It has a magnificent Georgian core in Park St, Earl St, Market Square, Clanbrassil St, Roden Place and Joceyln St.
    It features some of the most architecturally outstanding buildings in Ireland - the Courthouse, Carrolls Factory, St Patricks, the Railway Station and the 1838 Louth Hospital.

But it's not just these token buildings that are of significance - it is the magnificent vernacular streetscapes of Clanbrassil St, Chapel St, the whole area around the Railway and Garda Stations, Seatown with ranks and ranks of Victorian housing, St Mary's Road/North, Stapleton Place opposite the Old Shopping Centre - one of the finest vistas in the East, the straight-as-an-arrow Joceyln St/Seatown Place thoroughfare darting out from Crowe St, unobstructed for nearly a mile with the Cooley Mtns terminating the vista, lined the whole way along its length with the most stunning collection of virtually unaltered Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian housing. There is nothing like it in Ireland. It is designated an Architectural Conservation Area, as is Clan St, Earl St, The Crescent, Seatown, and many others, some of the first ACAs to be enacted in the country.

Think of the wonderful atmosphere of leafy Roden Place, lined with mellowed 18th and 19th century buildings with the recent striking introduction of the contemporary Couthouse extension, the admirable new Social Welfare offices out on the by-pass, the award-winning Bus Éireann station beside the Long Walk, the internationally renouned Carrolls Factory on the Dublin Road, the extraordinary historic atmosphere of northern Clanbrassil St with the Green Church, the old Carrolls Factory, and St Nicholas' Church, and the beautiful red brick Edwardian office building of the Carrolls complex.
    And as for the stacks of Victoriana in the acres of railways sheds and worker housing around the train station!

People just view towns as retail spaces which is a great shame - if a town doesn't have Boots or Awear then it's a 'kip' or whatever.
    Dundalk has so much going for it; if anything it is depending too much on retail. It needs to diversify into more service and high-grade jobs. There's only so much retail it can take.

As such, the Marshes provides an adequate mixture of stores, though nothing spectacular. There's more than enough gievn what Dundalk already has. Externally however, it is such a pathetic let-down. The architecture is an utter farce, a theme park of historic styles slapped over a giant shed. There's Gothic, Tudor, Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian and Toyland all combined in the most laughable pastiche job ever executed in this country.
    It puts Dundalk to shame - what an embarrassment.
    There's pictures at the bottom of theis page if you're interested, and the next :eek:

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=3901&page=3

The planners must have been crying over there blueprints when this was being passed. What a disappointment decent contemporary design wasn't given an outing on this occasion - Dundalk had such a good reputation in this department until now :(

Here Here Well Said.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Some great posts here on this thread which have triggered some great replies but all im going to ask is keep the posts on topic , this is not a disscussion about dundalk been a kip / not been a kip. This is a discussion about the great new shopping center we have that is clearly better then anything we hasd before hand. So any more off topic posting will force me too close the thread and have a word with the poster. Keep the topic about the shopping center.

Thanks a million

Sarge

Went shopping in the marshes today... still love it... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

From an outsider's point of view, the frontage of the building looks good but only in parts. If they kept to a consistent theme it would be much more impressive.

The shops themselves are pretty mediocre. I have to say Scotch Hall is better but not by that much.

Btw Drogheda may have a lot of Dubliners living in it but it's confined mainly to the southside and the indigenous population was/is large enough to absorb the Dubs so far. I would not call Drogheda a suburb of Dublin as it can support quite a number of jobs for the locals in the town.

• Advertisement

The Marshes and Scotch Hall seem to have the same sort of shops.... i haven't been, but from what i have heard... also i seen pictures of Scotch Hall , and tbh it just looks like another mass production shopping centre.. (and the green is rotten - if they built that in Dundalk i would go out with a bucket of white paint one night!) at least the marshes has some character (wheter it is regurgated styles or not).... arguments for the Scotch Hall are welcome...

I do realise that a lot of people think the marshes is over the top or outdated (one memorable quote was "a warehouse covered in red brick and domes") but do we really need another anonymous modern styled shell with penneys and tesco inside?

Images of The Marshes near the bottom...
    Images of Scotch Hall

(both on the www.archiseek.com forums by Graham Hickey, BTH and some other photographers)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Just to say, the site not's run by me, rather by publisher Paul Clerkin :)

Just looking at the original promotional images for the centre when first announced, the centre of the malls feature lots of public seating, and trees & bins as per Buttercrane etc. Is this going to materialise I wonder?

The malls feel too vacuous and lacking in focus with all that empty echoing space - too like Liffey Valley. More public seating is simply essential.
    Heaven forbid that people would stop spending for 30 seconds to rest their feet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

was in a SC in france, noticed they had big armchairs in the centre, and in the toilets, it twas great when waitin on friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Whats with the metro guys peddling their hand lotion everytime you pass them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Havent been to the Marshes yet but have to say that I was well impressed with Scotch Hall. Its a beautiful mix of old and new architecture styles and the parts with the stone walls really set off the glass walkways.

Shops are good too. Not enough places to buy presents but loads of places for clothes shopping!

zabbo wrote:

yeah i'm confused by that too.... they didnt offer me any... i must have nice hands :D

i see them in the buttercrane all the time too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lanch

You can keep your Marshes, i'll still do my shopping in Heatons and tesco's thank you very much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The foodcourt was open in the marshes the other day

It is great. Only Subway was open though but BIG que for Subway, and the seating area is very big. It is upstairs, you get there by going up the stairs at the left of Penny's when facing Penny's

I think the Marshes is better than Scoth Hall, same kind of shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conair

on the subject of car parking maybe a system like dundrum shopping center would be fairer

Dundrum Car park tariffs are currently as follows:

Ist hour is €2 and the 2nd and 3rd hours are Free
    Between 6pm and 11pm there is a maximum charge of €2
    Between 11pm and 7am parking is free

The foodcourt was open in the marshes the other day

i've heard something about a KFC opening there?? Anyone else hear this?
    New costa coffee is coming along well now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I took my mother shopping there yesterday and she immediately swore solemnly never to shop there again due to the disgraceful parking system. I hadn't really considered how bad it actually is until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

i've heard something about a KFC opening there?? Anyone else hear this?
    New costa coffee is coming along well now.
    Yeah they had an ad in The Argus about jobs going in KFC at the Marshes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gazbstn

nope not so, it's going to Phase II of the Retail Park on the old by pass.
    mmh Phase II ? when Phase I is lying empty? doesn't make any business sense to me what soever. How did this get approval from the council ? so they approve the building of it, however they'll not approve certain stores moving into it ?

its apparently to keep some types of business in the town centre..... they should get the place full before getting cocky. I wonder what else is being put in the marshes upstairs.. has to be a least two more... cos otherwise its not a food court!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Burger King are going into the Marshes. Yeah was reading that but it def said the the argus that they were looking for people for the Marshes maybe they might have two shops. Also see Argus might be opening up in Dundalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 1985

zabbo wrote:

there was one hot lass helping them out round bout christmas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I heard that McDonalds was moving to the Marshes, but not sure if it is true seen as there is already two McDonalds in Dundalk

Anybody else hear this?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I heard KFC was moving in there.

mmm... KFC. :p

so so far we've heard burger king, kfc, mcdondalds and Charlie mcCreevys nail and hair salon.... anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

What food places are actually opened in The Marshes now?

Advertisement