Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marshes Shopping Centre in Dundalk.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Just Subway, O'Briens sandwiches, and McArdle meats (if you'd count that as a food place :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Now that people have had time to adjust to their new surroundings in the marshes shopping centre what is the general feeling now? What do people think now that the pay parking has been put down to 1 euro a hour, what do people think of Dorothy Perkins, sasha, game and meteor coming into the shopping centre before the summer? Also we have KFC and burger king going in as well now,, anyone try the new coffee shop next to the o2 store ? I think the future is bright time to give the thread a bump

Discuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

My latest Marshes complaint:
    The fact that there are nine automatic doors at the entrance on the Penney's side and only two of them are ever open.*

*May not be 100% true, but I wanted to whinge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

KFC aren't going in there now, the last I heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Dr. Dre wrote:
    KFC aren't going in there now, the last I heard?

no there moving up to the retail park at pc world along with argos.

to be honest people i don't like the marshes, it's a big waste of space, they could of put a lot more into it. why do we need 3 Dunnes ? a lot of people are still gonna go to Sainsbury in Newry :p . Virgin is way too dear and whats the deal with all the clothes shops ? as if the town didn't have enough already.
    if you ask me it would be a far better shopping centre if it were to have Dixions, Currys, Symths, Argos, Game etc...

i'd still go to Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement

Game are going into the shopping center FACT !

Sarge wrote:
    Game are going into the shopping center FACT !

i was told last week they were no longer moving in and that came from a guy that works in the centre :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

Why would Game pull out now?!? And why the hell would KFC go to the retail park where they are certain to make less profit!?! It seems stupid to me... i think this is all hearsay and speculation. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

KFC are going up beside JJB the last I heard. They better do fecking FREE delivery.

Why would Game pull out now?!? And why the hell would KFC go to the retail park where they are certain to make less profit!?! It seems stupid to me... i think this is all hearsay and speculation. :confused:

something to do with Virgin i heard.
    petes wrote:
    KFC are going up beside JJB the last I heard. They better do fecking FREE delivery.

they are indeed either up in the JJB part or beside where Argos are going into the retail park. Argos were looking to get into the Marshes originally but certain shops in the centre objected to it so they moved to Drogheda but have now got the go ahead for an outlet in the retail park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

hellboy99 wrote:
    something to do with Virgin i heard.

they are indeed either up in the JJB part or beside where Argos are going into the retail park. Argos were looking to get into the Marshes originally but certain shops in the centre objected to it so they moved to Drogheda but have now got the go ahead for an outlet in the retail park.

A retail area would be far better area for an argos anyway, it'll probably be able to be an extra stote too given it'll probably get more room in a retail park.

as for kfc up beside the jjb it'll be right near the college and plenty of traffic will be passing by it, it'll probably be a proper kfc with drive thru where as in the shopping centre it would probably have to compete with Bk right beside it and other restuarants

the marshes definately needs a game and some more shops like that, too many womens/clothes shop's

I wonder if Certain mens and sports stores which are owned by brothers have/will object(ed) to the Argos/KFC moving outside of town just like they objected to every other development outside park street in the last 5 years... :mad: meddling fookers...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ok Costa Coffee is nice, got 2 cappachino's and 2 croissants for 10.50, hmmm Dublin prices, anyway, staff need to be trained up a bit, the whole thing was quite confusing.

Anyways, its quite nice(which is something from me, as i consider the staffing in most shops in Dundalk to be retarded, not o2 though ;))

I wonder if Certain mens and sports stores which are owned by brothers have/will object(ed) to the Argos/KFC moving outside of town just like they objected to every other development outside park street in the last 5 years... :mad: meddling fookers...

they have already, their objections may have worked with the Marshes but not this time round :D

zabbo wrote:
    Ok Costa Coffee is nice, got 2 cappachino's and 2 croissants for 10.50, hmmm Dublin prices, anyway, staff need to be trained up a bit, the whole thing was quite confusing.

Anyways, its quite nice(which is something from me, as i consider the staffing in most shops in Dundalk to be retarded, not o2 though ;))

Nice once baz the last comment saved ya ;) , anyway costa the coffee is really starbucks to be honest , i cant really taste any difference , another thing it is very expensive. I was talking to a guy today centre management style and there is a petrol station and drive through(KFC) going at the front of the marshes watch this space you will notice this bit of land cleared in front of dunnes stores. KFC is defo in the marshes according to this guy. Next two weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I think there have been way too many shopping centres opening accross Ireland recently and Dundalk would probably be one of the worst examples; Carroll Village complex, The Long Walk, the old SC, The Marshes.

Has anyone noticed how the town centre is completely drained as a public space? The town as it stands is way too spread out and the Marshes only adds to that. The architecture of the new centre is pretty horrific as well. Trying to hide a huge, unweildy shopping centre behind some naff faux New England type facades doesn't wash well with me.

As for the inside - I find it kind of odd that the Ramparts Road entrance forces you to walk all the way around Penneys before you actually reach any proper shops - the centre itself (and the rest of the town unfortunately) has been designed for access by car and this only contributes to the disconnect between the main public spaces in the town centre.

I know I'm ranting a bit now but as for a Phase 2 - are they really serious about it? Like given the failure of Carroll Village, the demise of the other two shopping centres and the fact that the Retail Park where Atlantic Homecare is is still lying idle and never really got off the ground who genuinely believes that Dundalk needs more retail space? I really don't see there being sufficient demand, like Phase 1 isn't even fully occupied.

Well i agree with you on your Phase2 comment... because the Retail Park was a complete disaster, but as for the rest:

The Long Walk and Carroll Village are in the middle of town! Clanbrassil Street (as in Dundalk's CBD) is less than a minute away from them! The DSC isn't even a real shopping centre anymore.. which is why it is being knocked down.

The walk to the marshes front doors is about 2 mins from Earl Street (still in the CBD) and if the walk from the front doors to penneys is too much for ya well then you need one of those electric wheel chairs that lazy people sometimes use.

Oh btw, would you prefer they didnt try to hide the monotomous white steel and glass facade that all Irish shopping centres have? At least it has a bit of character unlike Scotch Hall with its ugly green triangle at the front.

P.S. Good news about KFC eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Well really, IMO the "old" shopping centre has it at all for me. Why wouldn't you use it for groceries? I mean, in this day and age, if you're still buying DVDs's & CD's in a bricks and mortar shop, then I don't know what the hell is going on. And, to be fair, Johnny Shopper aint going to give a flying f*ck about the structural design of A N Other given outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The Marshes is okay.

Just okay.

There are some major flaws in its layout, not least the toilet situation. If you are say, at Easons, and need to use the loo, you have to walk all the way to the other end of the centre. Grand on a quiet day, but I can imagine on busy days like Saturdays etc. having to traipse up there and queue for a while is going to grate on the nerves. Theres a major lack of seating throughout the centre too.

Generally, theres a lot of wasted space in the centre. There are so many empty units still, and no sign of any work being done on them. These hoardings that say "coming soon" are fairly meaningless when, week after week, I'm in the Marshes and there's no sign of anything happening.

There are far too many womens clothes shops too. Just how many does one centre need? River Island, Morgan, Vila, Exhibit, New Look, and I know there are at least two or three more.

For me personally, its one saving grace is Boots. Thats it though. The Marshes is the best of a bad bunch in Dundalk, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

To Dundalk Online

I'm not talking about how close the shopping centres are to the town centre - I'm not arguing that. What I mean is that for every shopping centre built we are losing a main street/square or some other kind of public space, since shopping centres are privately owned and very little goes on around them outside of operating hours.

If all the shops in all the shopping centres in town were spread around town, like around the main streets in the town centre then Dundalk wouldn't feel like such a dead place

• Advertisement

But thats exactly what i'm saying they are the town centre so people go to the town centre rather than out to dowdallshill or round by the retail park. I know if i was going shopping in town i'd go round all the shops in town and in the shopping centres but its a fact that the shops in the Marshes are the best in town and those companies wouldnt come here unless there was a good shopping centre.. like.. em... THE MARSHES so the marshes is bringing business to the town.

The fact is the main streets arent good enough for the bigger stores like boots and virgin megastore.. at least until Dundalk triples in population

I dont think Dundalk is dead, if you go down town any day you will see the main streets are still packed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sarge wrote:
    Nice once baz the last comment saved ya ;) , anyway costa the coffee is really starbucks to be honest , i cant really taste any difference , another thing it is very expensive. I was talking to a guy today centre management style and there is a petrol station and drive through(KFC) going at the front of the marshes watch this space you will notice this bit of land cleared in front of dunnes stores. KFC is defo in the marshes according to this guy. Next two weeks

so whats the timeling on KFC opening then? it must be ages away if there building a new unit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

More to the point, when is the Burger King opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭mise_me_fein_V2

This thread is way too long.

It's only a shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

YORE only a shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 1985

KFC and burger king are in there now.

im still gonna stick with subway. cuz their chickens arnt square. probably more of a pentagon, or pyramid.

1985 wrote:
    KFC and burger king are in there now.

if i go up in the car for a takeout will i have to pay for the car park :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Burger King isn't opened

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Did anyone else notice that the Marshes website, before it was opened and a wee bit after, just said "Under Construction", and now it is not even on the internet anymore :rolleyes:

The URL is http://www.themarshesshopping.com

• Advertisement

its been changed to www.marshesshopping.com :)

Advertisement