Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marshes Shopping Centre in Dundalk.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Does anyone know whats happened to virgin meagstore in the Marshes. It was there before xmas (i bought a few vouchers as gifts). Notice there is a new record store there yesterday when i was in (First time since xmas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Virgin have changed their company branding to Zavi or some such bullsh*t, who knows why...maybe virgin isn't PC enough anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

sandyg wrote: »
    Does anyone know whats happened to virgin meagstore in the Marshes. It was there before xmas (i bought a few vouchers as gifts). Notice there is a new record store there yesterday when i was in (First time since xmas)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zavvi
    During the early to mid 2000s Virgin Group decided to sell off most of its Virgin Megastores to various companies, including Related Companies and the Lagardere Group. The UK and Ireland arm of Virgin Megastores was bought out by members of the management, led by managing director Simon Douglas and finance director Steve Peckham, for an undisclosed sum
    Virgin Megastores Ireland will change to 'zavvi Ireland' in January 2008.

Found out a while back, Was watching sky and I was thinking Zazzi ads are the same as Virgin then did a google search and found out what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Thanks for that. Must go and check with them if they will accept vouchers i have for Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

sandyg wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Must go and check with them if they will accept vouchers i have for Virgin.

yes they will honour virgin vouchers, used mine in there the other day, its as funny, the staff were all wearing there clothes as they dont have uniforms yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

PRESS RELEASE - FINAL

Marshes Shopping Centre achieves windfall of awards

Tenants at Marshes Shopping Centre, Rampart Rd, Dundalk have scooped two top awards for outstanding performance and customer service. The scheme strives to offer the best of customer service and their hard work paid off this year with tenants achieving national awards for exceptional service.

Harry Traynor, Marshes Centre manager said, “This is great news for our tenants and for Marshes as a whole. I would like to offer my congratulations and thank them for all their hard work.”

Marshes Food outlet, “Subway” unit not only won a National Customer Service Award on Thursday, 10 January scoring 100 percent in a secret shopper survey but added to their success after all Subway stores across Ireland were assessed by the franchise brand owners and the Marshes unit again found themselves top of the league scoring 100 % for their efficient service and customer attention.

Macardle Meats, a local butchery have also received good news this week after an assessment by “Crest” (retail market magazine); they have been entered as finalists for national retail awards that identifies excellence in facilities and service.

The package of awards are completed by Costa Coffee, who have consistently out performed their competitors and own brand outlets by occupying the top performer spot for 2007.

Traynor said he was impressed with the efforts of all the retailers and looked forward to a very exciting and successful year ahead.

Here's the photos with this press release:

MarshesSubway.jpg
    MarshesMcArdles2.jpg

Glad to see McArdles doing well, best butchers in town IMO, just a shame their Park St shop is to close soon.
    As for Subway, well it was always going to be an improvement over the service they used to run in the 4 lantern's unit, which was awful IME...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Another piece of Marshes 'history' ... remember this?

*shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Glad to see McArdles doing well, best butchers in town IMO, just a shame their Park St shop is to close soon.
    As for Subway, well it was always going to be an improvement over the service they used to run in the 4 lantern's unit, which was awful IME...

even though one of the noob lads didn't know the difference in rib roast and sirloin. It was hillarious watching my mum grill him..

Aye some of them are a bit wet behind the ears but all the senior staff know their stuff. Once you know what you're talking about with a butcher you'll do well....most other people should just buy the red stuff in the supermarket...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

my point was that my mum DOES know what she's talking about.. was kinda funny... kinda like telling the pope how to read the bible or something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RONOC08

i heard recently that there is to be an extension to the marshes any one know about it??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The current shooping centre is phase 1 of a 3-phase development apparently.

thanks do u know what its to include.....i heard it was a second story

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Don't think so. They were expanding to the desolate area behing the old shoe factory afaik (across the current carpark). Don't know if this is all still going ahead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

It is going ahead , and it will include a second storey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Has anyone have anymore details on this?

Just looking here and they could build to the left of the SC.

On a side note, I never noticed the car park at the top of the GAA pitch.:o

Well when it was built first they made facillities
    for a second story

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

the bought the printig place beside the Marshes. Name escapes me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

Saw in the Democrat that there are plans submitted to start phase II of the Marshers. I couldn't find the article on the Democrat's website but I was able to find the planning document on Louth County Council website.
    The proposed development comprises a mixed use development with a gross floorspace of 25,635sq.m provided in 3no.

Blocks as follow:-
    A) extension to existing marshes shopping centre (11,945sq.m gross floor area)comprising 14no. Retail/ commercial 913no. Units on one level and 1no. Unit on two levels) and 9 no. Retail/ commercial kiosks accessed from a new covered pedestrian street extending from new entrance on rampart road to new entrance adjacent to the existing shopping centre car park and connecting to the existing mall. Similar to the existing shopping centre the building will be 4/5 storey equivalent in height including domed entrance features. The development will involve modifications to the existing marshes shopping centre including the incorporation of the mall area located to the east of existing pennys into the new retail/ commercial units and change of use of the existing entrance pavilion on rampart road to retail use. A new service yard will be located to the east of the extension with access from rampart road and car park 1.

B) 4 storey hotel building (5,500sq.m gross floor area) fronting rampart road with tower features (5 storey equivalent/ 24.25 metres in height) on northwestern and northeastern corners, accommodating reception, bar/restaurant, meeting rooms and ancillary accommodation within double height ground floor area, 105 bedrooms and all associated ancillary accommodation on 3 levels over. Access to 2/3 levels of car parking (80 spaces) and service yard are provided from new link road to the east of the site. A landscaped podium is located over parking.

C) 5 storey building (4,085sq.m gross floor area) accommodating 8 own door office suites on ground floor (770sq.m gross floor area) and 32no. 2 bedroom apartments on 4 levels above (8no. Apartments on each level) fronting onto new link road and with parking to the rear for 36 cars and landscaped podium over. Permission is sought for a new link road replacing the existing road (marshes avenue) from rampart road to car park 1 of the shopping centre to the south. This will be located approximately 60 metres to the east of the existing access road and will link rampart road to a new roundabout to be provided in the north eastern corner of car park 1 of the shopping centre.

Minor adjustment to the layout of car park 1 is also proposed...etc..please see file for remainder of description.

http://www.louthcoco.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=0920&LASiteID=1

Does Dundalk really need another Hotel?

• Advertisement

No It Doesnt It Already has Way To Many And I would Much Prefer That New Cinema Going There i

It Really Doesnt It Already Has Was To Many.I Would Much Prefer That New Cinema To Go There Instead Of The Hotel Because The Retail Park Is A bit Far Away To Walk To If Your Just In Town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The Marshes is crap. It needs some decent stores in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

First glimpse at Marshes plans

Published Date: 11 March 2009
    By Gary McLaughlin
    By Gary McLaughlin
    These are exclusive pictures of what the future of Dundalk shopping will look like.

The pictures show how the current size of the Marshes Shopping Centre will double in size due to a number of new features including a hotel, apartments, office space, a gymnasium, a library and an extension to the current mall.

‘Marshes Phase II’ is currently awaiting a green light from Dundalk Town Council with the application still being processed for planning permission.

Drawings from the architects, Belfast company WDR &RT Taggart Architects show (bottom left) how Dundalk's newest hotel, The Ramparts Hotel, will look like. The four storey hotel building (5,500sq.m gross floor area) will be on the front of Rampart Road with tower features on northwestern and northeastern corners.

Inside the hotel will be 105 bedrooms, an accommodating reception, bar and restaurant and meeting rooms and ancillary accommodation and space for 80 cars.

The building to the top right hand side of the picture (titled elevation to the square) shows the five storey apartment and office block which will house eight office suites along with 32 two-bedroom apartments across four levels.

At the rear of the apartment block, there will be room for 36 cars.

A large scale extension to the centre will comprise of 14 new retail units on one level and one unit that will be two storeys, along with nine commercial kiosks.

These will be accessed from a new covered pedestrian street extending from new entrance on Rampart Road to a new entrance adjacent to the existing shopping centre car park.

The new extension will connect to the existing mall where the corridor is adjacent to Pennys and will be four to five storeys high, including domed entrance features.

Along with this, developers are planning to move the existing access road 60 metres to the east to provide a new entrance to the site.

When plans of the proposed development were announced, centre manager Harry Traynor said: “It shows good commitment to Dundalk from the owners.”

gary@dundalkdemocrat.ie

Page 1 of 1
    Last Updated: 10 March 2009 3:05 PM
    Source: Dundalk Tabloid

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/First-glimpse-at-Marshes-plans.5057566.jp

So will this new access road road beside the new Aldi?

New hotel? What are these people smoking? We've already got one white elephant in the town in the shape of the Crowne Plaza.
    They'll probably find some excuse to knock the few remaining trees that once made up clarke's forest in the process of building too...and I dread to think what horrors are in store with the traffic planning changes...maybe this time they'll finally attain their apparent ultimate desire for complete gridlock on the ramparts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Wertz wrote: »
    New hotel? What are these people smoking? We've already got one white elephant in the town in the shape of the Crowne Plaza.
    They'll probably find some excuse to knock the few remaining trees that once made up clarke's forest in the process of building too...and I dread to think what horrors are in store with the traffic planning changes...maybe this time they'll finally attain their apparent ultimate desire for complete gridlock on the ramparts...

It actually makes sense to build an extra hotel in Dundalk, as it can be used as a stop-off point for tourists travelling to Newgrange, Northern Ireland and Dublin. Dublin is only 83 km from Dundalk, that's 1 hour and 10 minutes on the minibus. It takes even less time to travel to Newgrange from here.

Advertisement