Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinDVD Player

• 14-09-2001 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I am using WinDVD software player to view my DVD's and the picture and sound are stuttery as f*ck. This as you can imagine is not very condusive to enjoyable viewing of my favourite DVDs. Is there anything I can do to smooth out the playback, I'd even sacrifice some picture quality, the stuttering is really wrecking my head.

PIII 500
    128Mb SDRAM
    Geforce 2 MX
    Soundblaster Live!

:mad: :( :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

You have DMA enabled for your dvd drive? That's the most common cause of stuttering in dvd playback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Does it stutter for the entire movie or just occasionally? I have a CTX drive at home, it starts to stutter every once in a while during a movie, p1sses me right off. What I do to remedy this is pause the movie, rewind a bit, and it plays fine until the next time it decides to stutter (This is on a P3 750, 256MB).

It could be the drive, it could be the software, it could be the CPU, it could be the RAM. As Chubby suggested, make sure DMA is enabled for the drive, and try other software - I use PowerDVD myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Yeah I just enabled DMA for my DVD drive but it is still as bad as ever, it stutters every once in a while Sico and I just end up turning the movies off cause they are doing my head in. I am going to try PowerDVD and see how I get on with that.

Thanks lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

My brother's laptop had the exact same problem with WinDVD, one day they just started stuttering horribly. Do you have any other DVD players installed at the same time? I've read that they don't like each other and can cause these sorts of problems if you've more than one installed.

Try uninstalling any and all DVD players (including WinDVD), restart your machine, and reinstall WinDVD. I know it sounds lame but it worked for me - his DVDs play perfectly now.

[edit] He didn't have any other players installed, just WinDVD, so try uninstalling & reinstalling.[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

the ye old uninstall and reinstall and hope for the best trick . yes tis c gud un but dosetn always work . som lil things that amazingly do stuff .
    • defrag ur hd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I had this problem...

This is what you do:
    • Turn on DMA
    • Defrag
    • Get winDVD update
    • Turn off al backgroud tasks when watching
    • TURN OFF ANY ANTI-VIUS
    • See Thread :
    DVD Stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

WinDVD plays back flawlessly on my p3450 in win98se..your cpu shouldnt be an issue. My graphics card is an ancient tnt m64..so graphics cards isnt an isssue.

Strongly suggest you forget about powerdvd, in my experience it will only give stuter free playback with 600mhz+ cpu's.

What os are you running, if its win2k forget dvd playback on a 500mhz...you need at least an 800mhz cpu ...(mind you xp is another matter).

When i play dvds on the old 450 i always ctrl/alt/del and leave only explorer running...virus scanners will completely KILL playback with a borderline cpu..which a 500mhz is.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I d/led powerdvd 2.55 and tried that last night and it played the whole dvd without a hint of stall or stutter, whether this continues or not is a different matter. I'll try the uninstall thing with windvd coz while the powerdvd doesn't stutter the picture quality isn't nearly as good as windvd. Call me a greedy b*stard but I want the best of both worlds :D

Thanks for all the tips lads :)

Advertisement