Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to optimise Windows use of RAM - vcahce settings etc.

• 14-09-2001 4:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I recently upgraded myself to 640Mbs of ram.
    I now want to make sure taht windowsknows I have it and will use it instead of a page file on the hard disk.
    I've allready put the AGP arpeture up to 128Mbs, but is this high enough? could it go higher? I think it can go up to 256 on my board, maybe more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I was looking at cache manager but i'd like to do a more hands on approach. there's little point in having a nice bt of ram if its going towaste.
    ATM i've
    [vcache]
    MaxFileSize 128000
    in the system./ini file.

Also, My old ram was certified at CAS2 @ 100Mhz.
    The new stuff is Apacer CAS3@ 133Mhz.
    I read somewhere that u can drop the latency by one for every 33Mhz for normal SDRAm. Is this true? More importantly, Is it stable?

If anyone is trying to run Operation Flashpoint or MAx Payne on 128Megs or lower (god help you) you will REALLY see a difference in frame rates by getting at least another 128megs. It says reccomended is 128 on the back of Op|Flash, but really 256 is the minimum for comfortable play. you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more. The first thing I noticed was the loading took damn all time, and my hard drive is kinda chok-a-blok atm with Op|Flash and Max at the end of the drive (hence slower to access) and its badly fragmented.

The above vcache setting still stands, but I would really like to know if there is anything more I can do to improve it? Shjould I seta fixed swap file after my imminent reformat?

www.frugalsworld.com

good spot that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Regnak

640 meg ram is great but if you're using windows 9x it won't matter very much, Windows NT/2000/XP make better use of it. GEt something like :
    http://www.cenatek.com/RamDisk2.html
    This creates a ramdisk - you can put you swapfile in it if you're using Nt/2000 and it speeds the whole system up a tad - I tried the demo at the weekend on a 2000 system w/3x256meg simms and it has made a difference. Next I'll try a little bit of Raid! The prg is only $35 so get the demo and see if it makes any impact. Unless you're running Flashpoint and re-creating D-Day I suggest a Ramdisk makes better use of it.
    I agree with Syxpak - 256 meg is the best for games now - the rest is a little wasted unless you've a specific prog that needs it.

Would it appear as another standard hdd in My computer? and will i be able to put my swap file in it? What happens if the swap file out grows the ramdisk?
    Also, returning to the origional question, is that vcache setting worth fiddling with? I heard on frugal';s site it was, especially for PCs with more then 512Mb or ram.
    I only bought so much cos I had the cash handy and didn't want to have to buy ram from a different manufacturer later and have possible incompatibility probs.
    Thanks for replying too, it gets a bit boring posting to your own messages :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, ive been watching with interest as you talk to yourself :)
    however, i have found my ystem running very slow lately, and i was waiting to see if anyone put anything useful up

/me hears cries of 'Reformat Your Soul'

Buy RAM, find out how best to get Win9x to use and post again :)

Also, Regnak, I'll be using AutoCAD fairly shortly so i won't just be reinacting the Balkens 'dispute' in Flashpoint ;)

Advertisement