Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give us the leprechauns or else...

• 12-10-2005 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

This is a real letter to the Galway Advertiser, I have the paper clipping at home. It's about a year old but I haven't been bothered to post it until now.

Dear Editor,
    I post this letter on my departure from Ireland, with a heavy heart.

On my recent visit to Ireland I briefly took in the enchanting city of Galway and quite frankly I was a little disturbed by what I saw. I am from New York and as a little girl growing up I have been made aware that these little guys' main purpose is to entertain us tourists, how and ever, as I prepared to board my flight to Ireland I was filled with excitement as I was finally going to come face to face with a real live leprechaun.

I spent four weeks touring Ireland, north to south, east to west, and I didn't even see one. It was only while walking down Eyre Square that the reason for this became clear - as one of the local pubs was clearly stating the fact that they "no longer test their shirts on leprechauns," it's obvious that you no longer think you require the benefits of the leprechaun, don't you realise your country is nothing but fields and trees without them.

I was enraged at this. I understand that the introduction of the euro may have slowed things in Ireland down a little, but for pity's sake, the tourists are still travelling to your country and to be blatantly honest, I feel we are being cheated out of appreciating the little guys.

I ask you has it really come to this in Ireland, that the leprechauns are being relegated to the menial job of testing the durability of cotton? You have tarnished your culture. You have tarnished the spirit of the leprechaun. These little guys are the reason your land is so popular; they are the tradition that brings us Americans to your country, and mark my words, if these little guys aren't reinstated, it will be the reason we never return.

Yours,
    Mary-Ann Durtz,
    New York.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thats just dumb and made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

joejoem wrote:
    Thats just dumb and made up.

Obviously she's trying to be witty. It's mildly amusing I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

While it has to be said that some people believe that fairys etc exist, this was made up crap I think ...outraged at leprechauns testing t-shirts? .. bleh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It may be made up but it made it past to the editor of the GA and into the paper. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I reall would wonder why an editer would post that whens its obviously made up :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

ROFL. I can't beleve theres someone out there that stupid. Only in America. :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

^ Was that sarcasm or do you actually think the letter is real? ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't doubt it. We're talking of a race of people who think that cos their grandparents are Irish, that they're Irish as well:rolleyes:

Sounds like half the Irish football team to be honest!

I've quite a few American friends so it'd be nice if people wouldn't lump 300+ million people into quite narrow categories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Sounds like half the Irish football team to be honest!

I've quite a few American friends so it'd be nice if people wouldn't lump 300+ million people into quite narrow categories.

Ditto.

What if we were all lumped into categories like Michael Flatley, Daniel O Donell or that dancing priest that runs at sports people

• Advertisement

Oh my word, the thought of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was over in US for 2 weeks during the summer and everywhere it was like.. "Great, the Irish are here! We have an excuse to get bladdered" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

the_syco wrote:
    I don't doubt it. We're talking of a race of people who think that cos their grandparents are Irish, that they're Irish as well:rolleyes:
    Nah their neighbours Dog is an old english terrier, and since the English and Irish are negihbours, that must makes them, irish! :rolleyes:

Advertisement