Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom, you are the weakest link, goodbye

Options
  • 14-09-2001 10:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=184&si=509996&issue_id=5246

Oh, this is mighty. This just puts the icing on the cake. What's the saying? "There are lies, damn lies and statistics?" This should immediately be amended to: "There are lies, damn lies, and hell, then there's Eircom, they're in a league of their own."

[I've behaved myself before here. I very rarely swear, I see it as pointless because of the censorship system. This time I'm leaving the swearwords in. I hope some of them get through. I'm ****ing livid.]
    Yesterday, the ODTR said it still has serious concerns about the ADSL prices proposed by Eircom for both other telco operators and retailers.

In response, Eircom has accused the ODTR of "jeopardising the introduction of broadband services in Ireland," by asking for additional information from the company before the services can be launched.

Hey Eircom, why don't you go **** yourself, you insensitive bunch of moronic ****wits? You know full ****ing well that the only barrier to the rollout of ADSL for the past four ****ing years has been you. You know full ****ing well that the Regulator is there to protect us from you, and god knows we need protecting, you ****ing bunch of greedy idiotic ****heads.
    Gerry O'Sullivan, spokesperson for Eircom said: "The ODTR says that there are not sufficient margins, but these prices are twice that applied by BT in the UK." He added that the regulator has had sufficient information to form a decision since last July, and the investment so far by Eircom in ADSL has been £100m.

Is this guy ****ing deranged or what? You're trying to tell us that giving your competitors pricng twice that of BT is the UK is a good thing? What are you, a goddamned child of three? That's the whole point, you dick, you're trying to screw them, and you're trying to screw us. Gerry O'Sullivan, you're an asshole of the highest degree, you're truly representative of the company you work for. Go **** yourself.

Eircom, you can go **** yourself an' all. I'm cutting off my Hi Speed connection as soon as I come back from my holiday, and I'm taking my business elsewhere. I'll take the two and a half grand I spend with you annually and I'll give it to someone else.

Eircom, you are the weakest link, goodbye.

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

And to top it all off you'll never guess what is being advertised on the same page.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Jeez, reading over my own post afterwards makes me even more angry. Pacifist or no, I swear if I met that guy right now I'd stomp all over the mother****er. Ignorant ****.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Adam,
    I suppose it needed to be said & now it finally has.

The situation is a disgrace, thats plain & simple.
    €ircon you've once again endeared yourself to Irish Consumer...
    NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

"I'll take the two and a half grand I spend with you annually and I'll give it to someone else."

What annoys me even more is that they don't care :/ It does'nt affect them one bit that they no longer have your custom :/

And the fact that they can afford not to care speaks for itself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Couldnt have said it better myself.. really really couldnt! Just shows what you can do when u have a monopoly. treat the general public like so much ****.

When oh when will eircom wake up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭E-Hub

Pacifist is not the first word that comes to my mind when i think of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I've talked to two Eircom engineers in the last week or so who've been at my work place.

I've mentioned ADSL to each of them in the hope that I might get some hope of faster, cheap access speeds. Apart from the last guy trying to sell me another ISDN line, they both sniggered. It was very obvious that both of them thought the provision of ADSL would never happen - one of them bore out the recent comment from Eircom when he said that he didn't think there was much interest in it and it would never take off.

And you know what, after reading the article mentioned above, he's right.

The source of the disinterest IS Eircom.

I thought I'd heard the last of those moronic excuses about provision of information when that political embarassment Liam Lawlor was at the tribunals.

Now I see the same thing again from Eircom.

I have to draw the same conclusion that Eircom are an embarassment. To think that these people have control over the Telecommuncations sector in Ireland is frightening!

Originally posted by Delphi91
    I've talked to two Eircom engineers in the last week or so who've been at my work place.

I've mentioned ADSL to each of them in the hope that I might get some hope of faster, cheap access speeds. Apart from the last guy trying to sell me another ISDN line, they both sniggered. It was very obvious that both of them thought the provision of ADSL would never happen - one of them bore out the recent comment from Eircom when he said that he didn't think there was much interest in it and it would never take off.

And you know what, after reading the article mentioned above, he's right.

The source of the disinterest IS Eircom.

I thought I'd heard the last of those moronic excuses about provision of information when that political embarassment Liam Lawlor was at the tribunals.

Now I see the same thing again from Eircom.

I have to draw the same conclusion that Eircom are an embarassment. To think that these people have control over the Telecommuncations sector in Ireland is frightening!

Very good but what do you plain to do about it, it seems very little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Originally posted by kamobe
    "I'll take the two and a half grand I spend with you annually and I'll give it to someone else."

What annoys me even more is that they don't care :/ It does'nt affect them one bit that they no longer have your custom :/

And the fact that they can afford not to care speaks for itself :(

I think it is starting to affect them, because they keep phoning "ex eircom users to try and get them to use their "service " again.

Also I DO NOT think that they are hurting enough yet, so lets see more people dropping Eircom and using the other Telcos.

Mick.

Originally posted by E-Hub
    Very good but what do you plain to do about it, it seems very little

BTW, it's PLAN, not PLAIN!!

Well, given that Eircom, have a monopoly at the moment, there's sod all that I can do about it.

But, if another telco come along with cheap fast access, they'll have my home business and also the business from my workplace.

• Advertisement

Its embarrassment not embarassment and its Telecommunications not Telecommuncations.

People in glass house and all....

and thats not the atitude that gets things done, you sound very passionite about this, yet you have no done anything about it, like bitch to your local td, explain to him what adsl is and why its needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Oh, this is mighty. This just puts the icing on the cake. What's the saying? "There are lies, damn lies and statistics?" This should <SNIP> ... </SNIP
    Eircom, you are the weakest link, goodbye.

Hey adam ... that's 11 f*cks I counted in there :P
    Haven't seen that much swearing in such a short space of time since watching "Platoon" all those years ago (well .. except for a Sat. night on the nitelink home between some socially dubious characters)

hehehhee :D

...yet you have no done anything about it, like bitch to your local td, explain to him what adsl is and why its needed.

How the hell do you know what I have or have not done????????????

E-Hub, you don't know me. You've never met me. Similarly, I've never met you. There is no way in the world that I would make a comment like you made in your last post. I posted my experience from talking to two Eircom engineers over the last 2 weeks and my thoughts about the ADSL situation. And for that you start to launch what I can only term as a stream of abuse. You've got some nerve.

You might have changed your name Gladiator, but I see that you're still spouting the usual bull****.

Do us all a favour and leave this forum and come back when your mental age has reached double figures.

How the hell do you know what I have or have not done????????????

E-Hub, you don't know me. You've never met me. Similarly, I've never met you. There is no way in the world that I would make a comment like you made in your last post. I posted my experience from talking to two Eircom engineers over the last 2 weeks and my thoughts about the ADSL situation. And for that you start to launch what I can only term as a stream of abuse. You've got some nerve.

You might have changed your name Gladiator, but I see that you're still spouting the usual bull****.

Do us all a favour and leave this forum and come back when your mental age has reached double figures.

i guess someone didnt like me pointing out spelling mistakes, yea i agrea its really take an asswhole to do that on a online forum. but thats besides the point, you claimed there was absolutly nothing we could do, brilliant, then what are you doing here, if we all felt the same as you ioffl wouldnt be around! theres loads you can do, i was merely pointing some of them out to you, but instead of being constructive you attack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Is this really the right place for you two to be flirting?

i guess someone didnt like me pointing out spelling mistakes

I have no problem about that at all.
    ..yea i agrea its really take an asswhole to do that on a online forum...

What was that about people in glass houses????? :D
    ..but thats besides the point, you claimed there was absolutly nothing we could do..

Actually, I didn't say that. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I said that there was nothing that I could do! And there isn't! I personally can't get rid of Eircoms monopoly.

Lets face facts. The ODTR can state prices, etc, but Eircom are going to play hard ball here. At the moment, there doesn't appear to be any punitive measures that can be taken to "force" Eircom to give access to other Telcos at reasonable prices.

This whole fiaso is so typical of Ireland. We let people walk all over us and we let it go on for ages and ages. Then we have a Tribunal about it and we basically say "Now, now, you shouldn't have done that. You naughy boy" and we give them a slap on the wrist. And they go off and keep on doing it. Whereas, instead we should be saying "Ok, this is how it's going to be", etc... The only problem is, you can't tell a private company how to run it's business.

Which leads me back to my original point. Eircom will set prices which will make it almost impossible for any other telco to take ADSL as a service and sell it on to the general consumer. If they do take it, they will have to charge a lot more to make it financially viable for them. But that means that they are unlikely to get the ordinary consumer to buy it, hence they withdraw the service. Look at SNL for example - same principle.

So, unless there is someway of legally forcing Eircom to set prices at a level that makes competition possible, we're screwed. And as I see it at the moment, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Enter IOFFL. By a concerted campaign of public awareness and political lobbying, it would hope that it is possible to do something. I think that the seminar was a great way for the public to see exactly what the story is. I'm only sorry that I couldn't attend. I stand fully behind the objectives and aims of IOFFL and will support it in any way that I can.

As for your comment
    ...then what are you doing here..
    well, I only come in here just to correct peoples spelling mistakes!.....:D

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Pacifist is not the first word that comes to my mind when i think of you

... maybe so, but you don't know him, and it would be foolish of you to judge his mental state and propensity for violence purely through this forum.

This thread was about anger toward Eircom and their shoddy attempt at a "service". Let's keep it on topic please and quit the petty bickering about spelling etc.

Delphi91 one vote, one voice! apathy gets you no were,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Whoeverthehell

ADSL appeals to too few people for TDs to have it as a campaign issue. There is little an idividual can do to force Eircoms hand, but the IOFFL organisation can embarras them into it.

Originally posted by Whoeverthehell
    ADSL appeals to too few people for TDs to have it as a campaign issue. There is little an idividual can do to force Eircoms hand, but the IOFFL organisation can embarras them into it.

Thanks, that's EXACTLY what I was saying all along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

FRIACO-based unmetered Internet access, on the other hand, will appeal to everybody who uses the Internet for more than a few minutes per day.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Please refrain from jokes, pictures or real suggestions of violence towards Eircom. I know people are angry and frustrated but I wont tolerate them here.

Act like adults.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

A perfectly good thread being brought off topic and turning into a catfight. A pity theres not a catfight board !

Adam, I can understand the frustration you feel. Eircom were waiting for this to happen. I bet they were so happy when the ODTR said they weren't happy with the situation.

Someone else should be give the rights to do ADSL now. If Eircom won't do it hand the local loop over to someone for free or something. If that can't be done then change the law. so it can be done.

This latest pr stunt by Eircom is sickening.

Advertisement