Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling prob

Options
  • 12-10-2005 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

alrite everybody just started into cycling after buying a bike however have one problem any time i go for a cycle i end up getting a sore throat.Anyone else have same prob and any solutions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jefferson

I found that the sore throat dissapeared after a couple of weeks.
    You could also purchase a face mask, saw them in Halfords a couple of weeks ago, but this may be ott. Stay as far away from diesel vehicles, especially buses as possible they generate particles.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

I only get that on a very cold day, try wearing a scarf. Also you're probably breathing more than what you're used to, once you get fitter it should get easier and you won't have the problem.

I always get a runny nose from cycling or jogging, I think this is a natural reaction and nothing to worry about, I'd say the throat thing is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

dear sufferer,

a sore throat should be carefully dealt with. It can be an indicator to a weakened immune system. The cycling is taking its toll. If it persist, seek medical advice, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Try to breathe in through your nose - taking in big gulps of air through your mouth, esp in cold weather, can really irritate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've always used a scarf or similar. My nose gets cold and I get the sniffles.
    Now I use a Buff thing. It's like a tube of thin material that can be worn as a scarf, cap, headscarf, headband, mask or ski mask. It's light and washable and keeps my nose, ears and throat warm. It was e18 at Great Outdoors (seemed a lot for what it is).

PM me and I'll attached pics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement