Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WetaWorks Evangelion

• 12-10-2005 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I've heard that the live action version of Neon Genesis Evangelion has been put on the back burner by Weta studios [e.g.LOTR trilogy] Can anyone confirm anything about that? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Yes the movie has been put on hold. But if you don't trust me check the WETA workshop site. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yep, I've been following the developments of the Eva movie the moment it was announced back in 2001. It's been shelved alright, mainly because ADV films don't have the budget of 150 Million dollars to get the project done and because of a lack of support from film distibutors who don't want to risk money on what they still deem to be the niche market of anime. I wouldn't hold your breath on this one, the only way I can see it getting done is if a big name director who has a personal interest in Evangelion lobbies to get it produced, I heard Peter Jackson is a fan of Evangelion but he's going to be busy for at least another three years with "The lovely bones" & "Halo"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Wasn't Cameron interested at some stage?

Some of the designs WETA came up with looked fantastic...

But I'm not sure if Eva would work as a feature film... it would be hard to fit it all in to 2 or so hours and it would all be horribly westernised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

Yeah, I did hear something like that.They already optioned Asuka as something like "Amber Rose" :mad: It would be great though I do see your point.It would be hard to convert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

Wasn't Cameron interested at some stage?

He has Battle Angel scheduled for 2007. I think he's planning to do it completely CGI!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

and they were going to change Rei's name to Ray... sheesh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

The most sickening rumour I heard was that they were looking at Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) for the role of Shinji (or whatever they rename him to for us westerner types). I just dont like the kid damn it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Maybe that's why he was being shortlisted.
    Almost everyone hates Shinji, this guy could be hated easily too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I can see for a split second after seen something like evangelion that it would make a wicked live film but it just wont work, to me evangelion is to be seen only in anime!

The characters and action scenes would all be lost in the movie and completely dulled down for the western public and idea of harry pottery playing shinji...just no >_<

...might make a good movie for the general public but evangelion fans like myself are going to be cringing through the whole thing (oh yea id still go see it of course ^_^)

Yesterday I heard that Ian mckellen was being optioned for some part but it is complete fiction. The word was that he was atttached to the project but the man himself knew nothing about it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭saado

Evangelion was **** anyway (ooh controversy) Anno is a complete and utter hack. And either way, just because it's going to be "westernised" there's a pretty good reason, whatever company is going to be distributing this is going to be going for a fairly big market outside the die hards who'd see this movie anyway, so making it a little more palatable to the masses is something they'll be looking to to to make it more acessible to the movie going public, the movie's been on hold for about 2 years by now though, i doubt it will ever come to fruition really.

you're a right ray of sunshine aren't you? and I thought my life couldn't get any more pessimistic

Advertisement