Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Survivor: Guatemala on TG4

• 12-10-2005 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭

TG4 is starting the latest season of the US Survivor Saturday October 15th @ 6.05pm, repeated on Mondays from October 17th @ midnight (going into Tuesday)

"The castaways are stranded in the unforgiving jungles of Guatemala, left to live inside the Mayan ruins in the new season of Survivor" RTE Guide.

Pity it's up against Strictly Come Dancing and The X-Factor, talk about reality TV overload!

Anyway, yay Survivor :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Did anyone watch it? I didn't know that Bobby Jon and Steph were coming back -- she rocks :D

Didn't get much of a feel for most of the other contestants, but on first impressions, I prefer Steph's tribe, Yaxha. The location is nice too, with all the Maya ruins -- it's good to move away from the beach-setting of the past few seasons.

Good start to the new season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I hope the rest of the challenges aren't as gruelling as that first one! Poor Bobby John and his scary feet! No personalities really jumped out at me (like Brandon/Boston Rob etc)... usually they edit it to make a "love 'em hate 'em" character but that wasn't apparent in this episode.

Looking forward to hiding from American entertainment news websites for the next 10 or so weeks... hurrah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Damn, i missed the first episode :(, gonna have to set a reminder on the old box top :).

First elimination
    Jim, the old guy went home first. So there's a relatively even playing field going into week 2 for the younger people/ non geriatrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Actually, I didn't watch the last series (palau) as I had exams halfway through it but I have no opinion on Bobby Jon and Steph. Personally, I thought that the first episode was very good, but we;ve had bigger opening episodes. Wasn't surprised by Jim's booting, but hopefully it'll stay as good as earlier seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its about 6 episodes into the season in the States. Its very good so far. Not a huge amount of doubledealing and backstabbing (yet!), but physically its one of the toughest series of Survivor yet.

I thought that the first episode was very good, but we;ve had bigger opening episodes

I liked that they didn't waste loads of time turfing the contestants off a boat for once - there's not much new ways to do it. Last season's swim/boat race to the beach for immunity was a great idea, but it's nice to have a change.

Between The Amazing Race and Survivor, I'm always counting down the days until the old people get the boot. I just think they tend to be an easy target just waiting to be eliminated. In fairness they're not always terrible, but Survivor in particular is just so physically gruelling regardless of age (Amazing Race less so, because of pitstops with beds/food). Jim's arm wouldn't have healed properly inside the 39 days fro him to be any use - glad he's gone.

I scream @ the TV when the old people always seem to come last in a non-elimination leg on The Amazing Race (Gretchen and Meredith I'm looking at you!) :mad:

Episode 2 was good -- there was a better chance to get to know more of the contestants. I liked the challenges too -- very physically demanding!
    I was worried for Steph when her name was thrown out first for elimination, thankfully useless Morgan went instead. I love when they have no idea they're going home :) Also -- I hate that TOOL going on and on about his pro footballer days, like give it a rest "When they asked what I do, I said I was a gardener....well they didn't ask what I did 15 years ago" Who exactly asks that question and expects to hear what you were doing 15 years ago?? :rolleyes:

You can see his point, though, TCamen.... If they knew he was a pro-footballer, he'd be off in a heartbeat.

I dunno -- I think if he wasn't so weird about it, he could actually make it a plus. Tom last season, fine he wasn't a pro-footballer, but still he didn't hide his strong physical prowess during the challenges and he managed to survive just fine. I don't think this guy (can't remember his name) appears to be too clever -- his strategy of deny everything is a bit limited, especially when the producers put that sportscaster on the other team :)

If I was on that team, I'd be more annoyed that he was lying than anything -- just 'cos he was a pro baller 15 years ago doesn't exactly mean he's all that great in 2005; he wasn't even able to win his 1-on-1 tug o' war. Worse case, if it comes out properly, it might look like he was being physically weak on purpose and then the deception is even worse. I don't think his losing @ the tug o' war was a strategy though - he just wasn't capable of beating the other guy.

• Advertisement

No, you don't understand. Its not his physical strength thats the issue.

If he was a pro-footballer, then its safe to say that he is bloody loaded! Out of all of them, he needs the $1m the least (he probably has a good bit more than that in his bank account). Thats why he'd be voted off in a heartbeat....

D'oh! I never thought of that -- was too busy shouting "SHUT UP!" @ the TV whenever he did his video diary & brought it up :o

Even if he was somehow poor now I can't stand him. Hopefully he'll get drunk & blurt it out or there'll be some proper information swap with the sportscaster girl. Soon! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Oh, that episode was very good. I thought the challenge for immunity was very gruelling and I thought it was hilarious when Morgan got the boot: EXPRESSION on her face was priceless!

it was hilarious when Morgan got the boot: EXPRESSION on her face was priceless!

I kinda felt bad for her for about a second, then laughed at her face falling as the votes kept coming :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I'm really feeling sorry for poor Steph now. She has to be one of the best contestants ever on this show and she still can't be on a team that wins a challenge to save her life! And since the mix-em-up last week, the teams are very physically inequitable with nearly all the jocks on the one team.

I love Steph -- thank GOD she was on the winning tribe this week! :)

The reward challenge was just painful to watch - I loved Steph's comments about Bobby Jon's girly screams when he's celebrating "He just gets so gay!" :D

I'm glad Blake is gone, though I wouldn't have cared if Brian went either -- both were equally annoying.

Yay, I was so happy when Yaxha lost the challenge. Happy for Steph, and for Lydia who finally was able to put her energy into a challenge with a successful outcome. She deserved it for her loony dance earlier on:) .

I think Brian will become the character you remember this season - his plotting is so camp it's hilarious to watch. His plan to oust Blake worked like a charm; wonder who'll be his next target?

Well did anyone watch it through to the end? I felt gutted that NOBODY voted for poor Steph except Rafe! :mad: I mean she was so much the bext contestant on this series, getting to Final 2 when she had the monkey on her back of being an ex-contestant.

Didn't she and Dannii look spookily alike on the clip where they revealed the winner? Both girls looking well, mind!;)

The next season is back to Panama and kicks off in the US tonight with 4 tribes instead of two, split along age and gender lines and there may be a Pearl Islands twist with ejected contestants. It will also be available for download from the CBS website for $1.99 per episode!

Advertisement