Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Day of Mourning / Public Holiday & Esat NoLimits

Options
  • 14-09-2001 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Today is a national day of mourning and public holiday due to the horrible tragedy in New York, so I wanted to chat with a friend who almost got killed in the first attack. Esat first confirmed this and said that rates should be off-peak, but asked me to confirm with Internet technical support if I had a NoLimits account.

After phoning the Esat Internet support number given to me about rates, they said that they are not honoring the public holiday today, even though in their FAQ as far as I can remember they stated that the NoLimits service would observe off-peak rates on "Weekends, Bank Holiday Mondays and Public Holidays".

I do not think that the way Esat are using the tragedy in New York to make a bit of extra cash is right. I can only imagine how many people are sending emails to relatives, and Esat seems to figure that they can use the tragedy to make a quick buck. I do not understand why they are doing this. Phone companies in America are doing the exact opposite, even reconnecting people who did not pay their last phone bill so that they can phone relatives.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭E-Hub

its not that, all isps are the same. its not programed into there computers. weres the point in esat giving you today if they are going to be paying eircom for weekday peak rates, which they will. even on a per minute base thats still expencive

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Esat no limits is a huge loss making service, you can't really blame them for not wanting to make it lose even more money.

Esat Fusion, has stated publicly that all calls to the US will not be charged till some time today or tomorrow. That is a pretty generous gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As far as I'm aware, Eircom have nothing to do with it. You dial Esat's SNL number, you go onto their network, you don't get billed by Eircom for the call but you *may* depending on the time of day, day of the week, etc. get billed for the call on your monthly Esat bill.

I agree with you Urban that Esat most definitely SHOULD have declared that they were considering today an off-peak day and that SNL calls would not be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I do not think that the way Esat are using the tragedy in New York to make a bit of extra cash is right

The same could be said of you. I dont think that it's right that you use this tragedy in order to save a bit of extra cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Pimp Ninja

The same could be said of you. I dont think that it's right that you use this tragedy in order to save a bit of extra cash

Esat are a big business, I am an individual. And, today IS a public holiday. Which Esat does not seem to be honoring on their NoLimits service. I think there's a big difference. I guess we should be counting ourselves lucky that calls to the US weren't increased to £1/minute to take advantage of all the people phoning friends and relatives...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by nahdoic
    Esat Fusion, has stated publicly that all calls to the US will not be charged till some time today or tomorrow. That is a pretty generous gesture.

If this is true, that is indeed very generous of them, and they deserve full credit. It does not change the fact that they are billing per-minute rates for SNL even though it is a public holiday however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Urban Weigl: I think saying "Esat are using the tragedy in New York to make a bit of extra cash" is overstating things, and is a bit over the top. It's true that Internet calls should be free today, but I don't think it's fair to phrase it that way.

Bard: No offense, but that's kind of oversimplifying just a wee bit Bard. Eircom have a large part in the underlying costs, because Esat have to pay interconnect fees.

Pimp Ninja: Your sigfile says it all. That was a dumb statement. Please think before, during and after you post.

adam

Esat in their SNL FAQs (when they were still up on their web site) clearly stated that SNL rates would always apply on weekends, national holidays and bank holidays. All I'm asking is that Esat uphold this, and do not take advantage of the terrorist attack like they appear to be doing at the moment. I do not think that is too much to ask.

Edit: when I originally started this thread, I was not aware that Esat were offering free calls to the US this weekend. The SNL thing is probably just an error in their billing system, so I would like to take a lot of what I've said back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Urban Weigl

...And, today IS a public holiday...

As I understand it, today is anything but a Public Holiday!

The way you say it almost makes it sound like we should be delighted to have a day off work.

Today is a National Day of Mourning in which the Irish people pay their respects to the memory of those lost in the recent tragedy in the U.S.

I'm sure the families of those Irish people who are still missing would love to hear you say that today is a Public Holiday.

And on top of that you expect ESAT to provide you with off-peak prices!!

The nerve of some people really amazes me! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement