Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friaco

Options
  • 14-09-2001 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello everyone,

I know recently everyone has been very focused on the whole ADSL thing and it is an extremely important issue.

However I would just like to remind everyone that another goal of IrelandOffLine is FRIACO.

Certainly most people can't afford the £100 that Eircom are charging for ADSL and even if that was to be reduced to £40 many people still wouldn't be able to afford it and remember it is only available in Dublin and too people within three miles of their exchange.

So there are many people who wouldn't be able to afford/have access to ADSL and for them we do need FRIACO.

I believe Eircom has thrown up a nice little smoke screen to help us forget about the whole FRIACO issue. Now that the ODTR has rejected Eircoms ADSL pricing, it is likely that there will be another legal battle between Eircom and ODTR (like with the LLU pricing). This will probably delay ADSL for another 6 months to a year (hopefully I am wrong).

Because of all this I believe it is even more vital that we push the Government, ODTR, Eircom et al, for FRIACO type services as well as ADSL.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Originally posted by Orcus

Because of all this I believe it is even more vital that we push the Government, ODTR, Eircom et al, for FRIACO type services as well as ADSL.

Not trying to bring you down, but the ODTR has told us that since Eircom is a private company now, they cannot force them to release a product (flat rate access). We will still be lobbying them for flat rate, but there are governmental/ODTR issues that have to be overcome before this happens. We are still clinging to the hope that as Pat Galvin said "I don't see a reason why flat rate access shouldn't be around by the end of the year". (little paraphrased)

E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Orcus

Originally posted by ekehoe

Not trying to bring you down, but the ODTR has told us that since Eircom is a private company now, they cannot force them to release a product (flat rate access). We will still be lobbying them for flat rate, but there are governmental/ODTR issues that have to be overcome before this happens. We are still clinging to the hope that as Pat Galvin said "I don't see a reason why flat rate access shouldn't be around by the end of the year". (little paraphrased)

E

There is no reason why we can't:

1) Lobby Esat to take up LLU and hopefully reintroduce NoLimits on the back of this.

2) Lobby Eircom/ODTR to finish this bloody case about LLU pricing so that others might actually start using LLU.

3) Lobby the government to introduce legislation that does give them more power over Eircom.

The 3rd point is exactly what the British Government did when they saw that Oftel (the British equivalent of the ODTR) wasn't getting anywhere with BT and after Oftel got greater powers they where able to force BT to introduce Friaco and LLU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Or bitsteam...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Personally I'd gladly pay £30 per month for 24/7 56k flat-rate access, as I'm sure many other people would.

We don't all need DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I would pay that for an always on 56k connection, as a temporary measure. Why should countries around the world get a 512k connection for the same price? Often less in some countries. If a flat rate service was released i would take it up in a second, because i'm paying over the top at the moment. But I would still expect a country like to ourselves to have a reasonable broadband service available, at a reasonable price.

Read those requests again - just reasonable, not cheap or top quality. Just something that's not blatantly expensive and useless to the public in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by PiE
    Personally I'd gladly pay £30 per month for 24/7 56k flat-rate access, as I'm sure many other people would.

Ditto:)
    Originally posted by PiE

We don't all need DSL.
    Very True. Thats why the ambit of IrelandOffline is all unmetered forms & products:)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

Ya me too. Of course i'd love adsl too if it wasn't a joke :( . But 30 quid for flatrate sounds spot on to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

30 punts for basic flat-rate access is simply too high, unless that includes line rental as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

Originally posted by PiE

We don't all need DSL.

I'll have some of that aswell... or even £40.00 per month for single channel ISDN 24/7 uncapped access.

ASDL at present is a joke. I'd love to have it... but like the majority of folks I'm no fool. It just isn't value for money. Anyone get the impression ADSL's just a PR exercise for the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Straker

I'll have some of that aswell...

I'm not offering it ;)

Urban, could we really expect anything lower than £30 for 24/7 56k access?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭E-Hub

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    30 punts for basic flat-rate access is simply too high, unless that includes line rental as well.
    that would make it even cheaper then england,
    i think it would be a fair price at £30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

At the moment I'm paying 20 quid a month for the IOL No Limits, sorry 75 Hour Per Month Limit, service and I just have unmetered off-peak access. If I was living in the North or in England I would be getting 24/7 unmetered access for that. 30 quid would be roughly double what our UK and NI counterparts are paying so I think that for my 20 quid I SHOULD be getting 24/7 access.

Like the others here, I have no real need for ADSL or any other forms of broadband access. Okay, while ADSL would be nice I would much prefer to pay my 20 quid and get a reasonably reliable 56K 24/7 unmetered service. I hope Ireland Offline aren't taking their eye off the ball and concentrating solely on ADSL because, in my mind, FRIACO access is just as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

i would take £30 24/7 56k over £100 capped adsl any day.
    the ODTR has told us that since Eircom is a private company now, they cannot force them to release a product (flat rate access).

wtf? a "product"? couldnt they argue that LLU is a product?

do you think €ircon HQ would be in microsoft flight sim? i could take a trip to shannon airport with some box cutters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Acous
    do you think €ircon HQ would be in microsoft flight sim? i could take a trip to shannon airport with some box cutters!

owe owe owe, your in for 12...
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats wrong with that?! It would be nice if just for once something here were cheaper than across the water. £30 a month would only be dial-up value if it included line rental.

Mike.

Well firstly most 24/7 service are £20 sterling in England, I know some like AOL offer it cheaper but that’s because of some vat thing.
    So your talking about £25 Irish punts in England,
    The only reason its offered at that low a margin is so many more people will take it up, therefore making more profits, there just isn’t the same level of user here that will take it up as there. So of course the price is going to be more, how could you ever expect it to be less.

i would take £30 24/7 56k over £100 capped adsl any day.

wtf? a "product"? couldnt they argue that LLU is a product?

Whats yourself, i was banned and got a huge boloxing for less then that.
    i allso got a huge boloxing for suggesting that the afgans at one stage were funded by the CIA which btw has been all over sky news this morning!

i dont think so E-Hub, i think your comments were the proverbial straw.
    :)

Originally posted by E-Hub
    Well firstly most 24/7 service are £20 sterling in England/B]

I don't know where you got this figure from. Most of the ISPs in the UK that I have seen offer 24/7 access for £10-15 sterling. Line rental is another £10 sterling, so you end up at just over £20 sterling if you shop around. Even with the current exchange rate, that isn't more than £30 punts.

And besides, if we want to become the e-hub of Europe, it isn't enough to just be "almost as good", we have to be better than the rest!

Originally posted by Urban Weigl

And besides, if we want to become the e-hub of Europe,

i thought everyone had finally realised the truth reguarding this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Whats yourself, i was banned and got a huge boloxing for less then that.

I presume you mean "Watch yourself."

You were not banned for that. You were banned for that and a huge amount of other incidents. As chernobyl said - it was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. You were banned - and I, for one, don't think you should have been allowed back.

i allso got a huge boloxing for suggesting that the afgans at one stage were funded by the CIA which btw has been all over sky news this morning!

No you didn't get a "huge boloxing" for that. You got in trouble for discussing it on a thread which was set up SOLELY for expressing solidarity, sorrow and condolences for those involved.
    Originally posted by Acous:

That comment is RIGHT out of line and just as insensitive and inappropriate as the aforementioned comments by the then "Gladiator". I've reported that post to the admins and leave it in their capable hands.

I'm sorry but that is not correct. If you convert your BT phone line to Telewest in Northern Ireland or some other part of the UK for example, you would be paying £10 sterling for 24/7 Internet access, plus £9.60 sterling for line rental (prices inclusive of VAT). So, that's £19.60 sterling including line rental and 24/7 Internet access.

According to Aertel, 1 Irish punt will get you 0.793 sterling. This means that unmetered Internet access including line rental and VAT costs IR£24.72 in the UK. That's IR£12.61 excluding line rental.

im sorry, i didnt realize those prices included line rental, you can be sure that Eircons wont

Originally posted by Bard
    That comment is RIGHT out of line and just as insensitive and inappropriate as the aforementioned comments by the then "Gladiator". I've reported that post to the admins and leave it in their capable hands.
    Is this because ive mentioned it in relation to Eircom? You must realise i would never consider doing that for real.

I was under the impression that this forum was an area for constructive comments as well as somewhere to vent our frustrations without getting violent, or actually being taken seriously.

Or is this because I mentioned planes/box cutters at all? I didn't realise the whole board is now an area for WTC condolences!! Besides, i frankly cant see how someone would read this and suddenly be offended... Haven't you been watching tv? Does the repeated images of the plane crashes, the collapse, the people jumping to their deaths not seem just a *little* more insensitive than some off hand remark about box cutters??

I think its quite obvious that my comment wasn't intended to offend familes/friends of victims. I certainly don't need moderators giving me shit whenever i make a reference to the incedent. Even though you may have good intentions, i believe this is over the top.

I was under the impression that this forum was an area for constructive comments as well as somewhere to vent our frustrations.

the freedom of speech act does not apply to boards.ie.
    your in someone elses house now Acous.

you see the moderator seem to think makeing a joke about it or anything to do with it is like taking the piss out of those dead people,
    SO be sure not to joke about ww1, ww2, Vietnam, the cult war, kosovo (?) anything to do with jews and arabs, the ira the loyalist or drungs sex and drink.

why am i even trying, anybody that doesnt agrea with the rule of majority will be beaten then banned, should be the new rules here. the is utterly pointless and totaly off topic, thank you very much bard for starting this flame

Those are events which dont really effect irish ppl E-Hub.
    there may be 1500 irish dead and this only happened less than a week ago.

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Those are events which dont really effect irish ppl E-Hub.
    there may be 1500 irish dead and this only happened less than a week ago.
    hundreads of thusands of irish died in both world wars,
    and thats all i have to say, because ever time i comment on this somebody comes running in calling me a cold hearted bastard

Originally posted by chernobyl
    the freedom of speech act does not apply to boards.ie.
    your in someone elses house now Acous.
    I know it's not about freedom of speech, I don't expect freedom of speech here. I know the mods are entitled to do whatever they want, but i'd prefer if they weren't ridiculous about it.

• Advertisement

I believe this thread is named FRIACO, and as such, if I were an administrator on this particular forum, I'd kindly ask everyone who wants to discuss the pros and cons of jokes which may or may not offend some people to kindly take it to their own thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement