Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing kitchen appliances

Options
  • 12-10-2005 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Overview of the below is:
    How do I break out a single qualpex feed to connect it to 3 appliances?
    How do I connect a ½ inch qualpex pipe to ½ inch copper pipe which has no threads on it?

I posted here a while back about an issue with a plumber and whether I should stick with him or go with a younger guy I know. Bottom line is I stayed with the original guy due to fact he was recommended by a friend who tried his best to make it work out, but its ended in disaster: I’ve found a total of 4 leaks so far and fixed those and the heating is still losing pressure. I’ve kicked out the original guy due to the fact that he launched into a tirade of abuse at me for disturbing him when, ironically, I was actually ringing to try give out about his work, but I’m now reluctant to ring the younger guy as he was annoyed I didn’t go with him.

I now need to fit my kitchen appliances (disher, washer, and sink) in our utility room and am pretty much left without a plumber. Plumber has left a mess of qualpex hot and cold feeds and waste pipes in the utility but it seems he does have a separate cold feed split off for each appliance, though it seems there is only one hot pipe which is running the length of the utility. I’m planning on splitting this out into the 3 appliances.

First up: I assume my dishwasher and washer come with the necessary pipes to connect to the hot and cold supplies (haven’t had a chance to look)?

I’ve found this qualpex guide here: http://www.qpl.ie/pdf/QualPLUMB_Install_Guide.pdf . I know nothing of plumbing but am a quick learner and based on whats in the guide I think I can manage to get the right parts and join up for the appliances. My question is do I need Appliance Valves or will an Equal Tee do the job (I’m guessing appliance valve has the female receptor for the male connection on the appliance pipes)?

Do I need to use PFTE tape when connecting the appliance pipes to the qualpex fittings?

I will need to connect the qualpex fittings to the copper pipes that feed into the taps for the sink. I think I’m ok with the fittings on the qualpex to qualpex side (extending feeds), but I’m not sure how to connect the ½ inch qualpex to the ½ inch copper pipes (internal size) as they have no threas. Do I need a thread cutter and a compression joint or a tektite joint?

Many thanks for the help cos I’d love to sort this one without having to get another plumber involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Frank,

Maybe you do need another plumber, I'm not trying to be smart or disrespectful but one mistake can cost a lot in damage.

You shouldn't need PTFE on any of the joints, Tectite fittings are nice to use but bulky, conex may be a better choice, don't forget the inserts when using qualpex.

Fitting to the taps can be easy or hard depending on the location and the space you have to work in, flexipipe can be very handy for that part.

There are fittings designed for connecting washing machines and dishwashers, they are very handy because they can be turned off with half a turn of the hand, no tools needed.

Pipe slices are very handy for copper and the tool designed for qualpex leaves a nice even cut, that said a junior hacksaw in the right hands will do the job.

Don't mix Boss White with qualpex and try to use conex spanners if using conex fittings, when connecting the waste pipes make sure to clean any cut ends and use pva adhesive.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Frank

That was one rambling question, however to put your mind at rest on qual plex. As rooferpete suggested it is easy to work with. Simply push the tectite joint on to the qual plex, making sure the insert is in the qual plex. Get you self a qual plex cutter they are cheap and produce the best cut on the qual plex piping.

You can use a sequence of T joints to take a feed for most of your appliances. Most appliances will accept a cold only and if so this will minise you work, however some do accept/ require both hot and cold supply. Remember in such a sequence the press will drop from each appliance with concurrent usage. Each appliance sohould have a gate valve or a penny value so you can isolate them if needed. They are cheap and invaluable if needed.

You can join copper and qual plex using a tectite joint you simply push it on as normal, you will not need an insert for the copper. However I would use a compression joint as normal on the copper and an olive and insert on the qual plex.

I suggest you get your stuff from a Heat Merchants personnally I find them to be the best with advice etc.

Advertisement