Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting two venting ducts

Options
  • 12-10-2005 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I have a venting duct from a bathroom running through a utility room and out the back wall. I am adding a vented clothes drying machine into the utility room so I want to avoid having a second 4 inch hole in the wall by connecting the vent from the dryer to the extractor fan duct.

I could do a DIY job using a piece of 4 inch wavin and cutting a hole to make it a T-junction but I'm wondering are there any fittings available that do this and include a mechanism to prevent backflow (i.e. hot air from dryer going into bathroom)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Frank,

I'm not sure if such a tee piece is available but even if it was you would need a system like non return valves on both vents to prevent the condensation from both the bathroom and the clothes dryer from doing exactly as you described.

Chances are you would have a battle between the vents when both the vent and dryer are on at the same time.

You can hire a 100 mm diamond tipped core bit and drill a perfect hole from both sides of the wall, that way the vent should not look untidy but both would be doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

i think you're looking for a backdraft shutter...
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG4BS.html

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Thanks patrido, just what I was looking for to prevent the cold, cold air getting into my en-suite thats served by an extractor fan that vents to the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

yeh, good shout patrido. I reckon two of them - one on each vent going into the T junction will do exactly what I want. Here's a link to a T junction for anyone thats interested: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG4T.html

I've already got a 4 inch hole in the wall nearby the vent for the gas boiler flue so could really do with avoiding having to bring these vents out separately.

Advertisement