Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support ODTR

Options
  • 14-09-2001 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone,

Well it loks like the ODTR has rejected Eircoms wholesale ADSL prices. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes to court again like with the LLU pricing (this is just my opionion and I haven't any inside info or anything like that, I'm just going by previous events). This may delay the rollout of ADSL for many more months.

Despite this I don't think we should blame the ODTR for it. I know many people where really excited about finally getting ADSL and I'm sure that Eircom will blame the ODTR for yet another delay in the rollout, however I believe we should give our fulll support to the ODTR.

If you think about it for a second it is a win, win situation for Eircom. They set the wholesale price at £75 and the retail price at £77. This effectively blocks any other operator (Esat et al) from overing a competitive service. Eircom are always telling us that Eircom.net and its phone business are totally seperate, yet this pricing clearly tells us that this isn't true at all and that they are using the setup to destroy any competition.

Frankly how Eircom ever thought they would get this by the ODTR is beyond me and the paranoid side of me is thinking that perhaps they never expected it to get by the ODTR. Perhaps Eircom released such pricing with the idea that the ODTR would block it, just dragging it for many more months to come, thus letting Eircom keep the current status quo (expensive leased lines, ISDN and massive consumer phone bills) and leave them to pin the blame on the ODTR.

For this reason, despite all our disappointment of still not getting ADSL, I think it is very important that we all stand behind and support the ODTR in this and not let Eircom pin the blame on the ODTR.

I also think it might be time for the EU to step in and investigate Eircoms delaying tactics and do something about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

I also think it might be time for the EU to step in and investigate Eircoms delaying tactics and do something about it.

or the competition authority, from what I read on their web site (www.tca.ie) both their "Regulated Markets" and "Monopolies" divisions should be trampling all over these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I do think we need to publically support the ODTR. Again, maybe IrelandOffline can issue a further press release stating these facts ?

Advertisement