Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 323Ci

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Is it fair to observe that one of the better reasons to opt for a non-main dealer service is to save money[*]? I know that it's impossible to assess a pedigree when this happens, but it's surely not a guarnateed sign of dodginess.

Dermot

[*] ...and many people would be critical of the quality of main-dealer servicing...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mackerski wrote:
    Is it fair to observe that one of the better reasons to opt for a non-main dealer service is to save money[*]? I know that it's impossible to assess a pedigree when this happens, but it's surely not a guarnateed sign of dodginess.

Dermot

[*] ...and many people would be critical of the quality of main-dealer servicing...
    If this is the case on a car just 4 or 5 years old then I'd be very suspicious.
    Get the reg number, call BMW Irl (01-8628200 IIRC) and get the history verified. Also ask if any recall or other unusual work was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

mackerski wrote:
    That is fair, but an absence of service history and the lame excuse that "it was a company car" certainly strikes me as dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

mackerski wrote:
    Is it fair to observe that one of the better reasons to opt for a non-main dealer service is to save money

Valid point , and I'd have no problem buying a BMW that had a non BMW service history, but the dodgy-ness in this case is the complete lack of service history up until the current owner...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also remember that future buyers will also look for a full history which, if you buy this car (assuming BMW Irl are no help), will affect its resale value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    I have to say that Ken is correct on that one
    See www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/nikasil.htm

Thanks for the link
    kdevitt wrote:
    @Unkel - the E46 6 cylinders only came with the M52TU engine, which is double VANOS. You're the first person I've ever heard to say E46's were affected? (Given that they stopped production of Nikasil blocks in March 98 which was before the E46 was launched) Where did you read this?

I'm getting a bit confused now :)

Indeed the Nikasil wasn't produced any more after mid march 98 and the E46 was launched in april 98 (facts). I interpreted this that it is likely that some of the early sales in april would have had engines from before mid march

Or are you saying that because all E46 323/328s are double vanos (fact) that they don't have the Nikasil block? Or that the lower engine revs on the double vanos prevent the Nikasil issue from rearing it's ugly head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The 323ci and 328ci both had the M52TU - these were replaced after two years by the 325ci and 330ci as you probably know, both of which had the M54 engine I think...

They stopped using Nikasil blocks completely (kept them in their motorbikes), although Porsche still use them. The issue was sorted for the E46 Coupe - they were only launched in April 1999. As far as I'm aware, no 6 cylinder engine from the E36 range was used in the E46 range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

carrollf wrote:
    Hi,

I am looking at a 2000 BMW 323Ci with 57000 miles on it but am wondering if anyone has any advice on anything that could be wrong with it (more so this particular model and year!).
    In general, does anyone have a similar 323Ci and if so, what do you think of it?

This is nothing about the mechanics of the car .
    I lent a friend of mine my crew cab to move stuff this weekend and have his 320 ci its an 05 and I could not believe how bad people treat you when your in one with the top down.
    Now I know why people give out about BMW drivers.
    Today it seemed liked they were pissed they didn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kdevitt wrote:
    As far as I'm aware, no 6 cylinder engine from the E36 range was used in the E46 range.

So M52TU double vanos is used in E46 (and not in E36) and it is definitely NOT nikasil, even on early april 98 saloon E46 323/328?

Thanks for clearing that up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

In addition to my last post about the Ci just came home a few moments ago and had to wash the side of my friends car as it got egged this evening.
    Only had this car one day so far. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carrollf

Thanks to all of you who replied on this thread. After all the advise I have bought a 320Ci from a main BMW dealer with the 12 month BMW used car warranty - beter bet in the end I think. I got them to throw in the multi-function wheel for free also which is neat. It comes with 16" alloys but I would rather some 18" - any advise on where I can get really nice 18"s in Ireland?

Advertisement