Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girls Bellys hangin out

• 12-10-2005 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I dont want to start world war 3 here. But I was just wondering whats the crack with this new trend of girls with bellies hangin over jeans? Before I get attacked I have nothing in the slightest against big girls at all! But not sure bellies hanging over jeans is most attractive fashion ever, girls and blokes opinions please.

D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

trend among us blokes too! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Personnally any type of overhang male/female is unattractive. This includes bras that are too small and result in a cooked ham effect. Although you do have to take into account the fact that womens weight fluctuates with their cycle, it is never constant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But most blokes do not wear high cut belly tops with a bare belly hanging out.

I have heard the small bra thing referred to as "muffin tits" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

HAHA, some fat guts around alright.. grotesque..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

oh god yeah... I'm in an all girls school and some days I dread having a no uniform day!
    There's at least two if not three little "plum pudding" girls who wear clothes that are actually too small for them, tight short tee's and tight hipster jeans and its plain disgusting, I'm no model myself but I don't so that, I wear clothes that fit and look decent/flattering on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Guys bellys are different to girls bellys though, they're firmer or something. Girls bellys are disgusting. I really don't get why they feel the need to expose them, it's like they're proud or something.

C - 13: ewwwww!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

It's like there's the top, rolled up, a big tyre of flab and then trousers, rolled down. It hurts my eyes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The differnece between the lads and the ladies: the lads keep their bellies covered, whilst some of the ladies let it all hang out. Think Brittney Spears attire, with about 3 stone of fat hanging out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

the_syco wrote:
    The differnece between the lads and the ladies: the lads keep their bellies covered, whilst some of the ladies let it all hang out. Think Brittney Spears attire, with about 3 stone of fat hanging out.

These days, in her current state, its just think britney spears :D:D

weemcd wrote:
    These days, in her current state, its just think britney spears :D:D

Is she not pregnant though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I just wonder if they think it looks good? Do they see the tops on other girls and think they will look good in that too? Maybe they are as delusional as the girls who wear the fake tan that makes them look like they have been wading in sh*t for hours.

rb_ie wrote:
    yes, hence the previous comment.

Well then I'd hardly place the belly of a pregnant girl in the same category as the belly of a girl who just let go of herself.
    Actually, the belly of a girl who just let go of herself looks like the belly of a woman who's after giving birth, all saggy and horrible.
    A pregnant girl with her bump showing slightly is A LOT better than a girl who's just not arsed taking care of herself's belly showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

rb_ie wrote:
    she had the baby a few weeks ago.

I agree you haven't seen a recent pic of brittes have you?
    She wears like boob tube-y things and low hipsters with the bump entirely out, which is a bit much..

dbnavan wrote:
    she had the baby a few weeks ago.
    she did?

rb_ie wrote:
    A pregnant girl with her bump showing slightly is A LOT better than a girl who's just not arsed taking care of herself's belly showing.

For a lot of men there is something very attractive about a pregnant woman, its a totally different type of tummy though.

Le Rack wrote:
    she did?
    baby boy 14/9/06, where have u been

I don't follow media at all....

Pregnancy bumps kinda freak me out for some reason tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Can't stand the muffin belly look! I'm not exactly thin(*cough* size 14...), but I don't go around in jeans that let my stomach hang out. It looks far better when you get a pair of well-fitting jeans and a T-shirt that's a proper length.

kirby I is size 14 also and wher are ya going with your (*cough*) that isn't big trust me! I used to be like a 20 or so!
    It depends on the build of the person too on whether they look dog awful or just awful, like if I was a whole lot thinner I would look stupidly top heavy, 12 I would look grand but like a 10 would be pushin it big time, as I'm big boned too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I vary in size form shop to shop eg size 8-14 so if I buy clothes without trying them on i could end up with a too tight pair.but I have to agree having flab hanging out it is never attractive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cailingaelach

I've never understood why certain people insist on wearing clothes that are two sizes too small!! It's so unflattering. Do they not own mirrors or have honest friends?!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I've never understood why certain people insist on wearing clothes that are two sizes too small!! It's so unflattering. Do they not own mirrors or have honest friends?!! :confused:

yeah its the friend thing that gets me. the same about the girls who wear really orange make up. im really honest with a friend when shopping or whatever (possibly too brutally sometimes) but thats because id want someone to be like that with me. id WANT to be told if i looked stupid. but no, i dont do the belly sticking out thing :p and yes its horrible.

so if you have friends that do it, please tell them!! (nicely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

FX Meister wrote:
    Maybe they are as delusional as the girls who wear the fake tan that makes them look like they have been wading in sh*t for hours.

I hate fake tan. At my debs all nearly all the girls were ORANGE! I was one of maybe six people not wearing it... and the only girl not wearing any make up at all but that was just laziness on my part... :o

Ok... I don't think girls should show their stomachs if they're not toned, I think it makes them look heavier than they are tbh. I think it looks ok if they're toned. Tight waistbands only make it look worse. What is the problem with buying jeans in your size?! I'll never understand it... Clothes that are too small look terrible. i always buy stuff that fits me, not for the size. I used to have clothes from a size 6 to 16 that all fitted me (!) when I was 14... now my clothes are about 10-14... but they all fit. I'm about a 12-14 I think, and I've stopped showing my stomach for the most part since I put on a bit of weight... showing off an untoned stomach does nothing for my appearance. Or anyone's for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

Im really glad somebody has asked this question.
    Its been a question on my mind for years now.
    When I lived in Wexford I didnt see it often nor I was even aware that there was such a problem, but when I moved to Waterford nearly every girl had it.
    It hurts my optic nerve.
    It dosnt look pleasent.
    Why cant girls who dont give a toss about thier most precious possesion on the planet (thier body) just wear curtins and do everybody else a favour.
    I mean what the hell are they thinking.
    Girls who wear tight pants and a belly top should be fit and sexy or else just please dont buy them.
    I know the reason big girls buy them is because they see better looking girls wearing them and think if they wear them they will be sexy too.
    But they are missing the point, you gotta have a sexy body first, then you gotta buy the cloths to match.
    Not the other way around.
    Im sorry if I hurt anybody with my cruel words, im not perfect myself (not fat though).
    but if I did, put down the chips & "diet" coke and go to the gym.
    All the posts so far have been against.
    I want to hear from somebody who is pro "Bellyhang".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I think they're cute. I don't think they're following a Britney Spears fashion, as most popstars are grotesque sticks with no figure, the belly thing is a seperate fashion started by certain types of girls who aren't afraid to show off their figure, I knew one and she was adorable.

I love to see a cute pudgy belly poking out, pudgy as in somewhat semispherical as opposed to flat with a slight curve which is really about the minimum healthy weight someone should be anyway. A HUGE belly is a different story. IT works for short, cute pudgy girls but not big fat ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Rozie wrote:
    I love to see a cute pudgy belly poking out, pudgy as in somewhat semispherical as opposed to flat with a slight curve which is really about the minimum healthy weight someone should be anyway. A HUGE belly is a different story. IT works for short, cute pudgy girls but not big fat ones.

Sorry, you've said this a number of times; as far as I can ascertain, it has no basis in medicine. What is the health risk of being in the conventionally considered healthy range (BMI 19.5-25)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Im a size 8-10 but I dont go round with my belly bare unless ive been to the gym a lot as an overhang is awful- it only looks good if youve got a really toned flat stomach. I think what happens to these girls is that they see something entirely different than we do when they look in the mirror! My broter has a different theory though - he believes belly tops should only be sold in small sizes to stop this awful trend!!
    as for the whole pregnant belly thing hanging out - it looks awful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Le Rack wrote:
    kirby I is size 14 also and wher are ya going with your (*cough*) that isn't big trust me! I used to be like a 20 or so!
    It depends on the build of the person too on whether they look dog awful or just awful, like if I was a whole lot thinner I would look stupidly top heavy, 12 I would look grand but like a 10 would be pushin it big time, as I'm big boned too...

its terrible when girls squeeze themselves into too small clothes, whats the big deal with buyin ur proper size? im a 14 also, i wudn say its big, its average, but i dont wear too tight of clothes i wear proper fittin clothes. sure who's gonna see the label inside anyway, all people will see is the excess skin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

pregnant bellys are sexy anything else tho is just wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I, too, have noticed this 'trend' lately and I have to say, it completely disguists me. Can these people not see what we see when they look in the mirror or when their other friends see this for what it is? I mean, I'm sorry I hate to discriminate against people as I was teased over my weight when I was a kid so I know how horrible bullying can be but my god put that bouncing 'podgy' stomach away. I for one certainly don't want to see it, and I know alot of other people don't want to see it either. Any time I see these skangery hoopie ear ringed delusional eejits (especially around town) all I can think to myself is 'errrrghhh.... good god put some clothes on, you're no Jessica Alba'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I worked with agirl who did this. Generally I assumed they were stupid people who did this but she proved me wrong. Very smart and nice person but maybe overly confident.
    That actually seems to be the problem. The whole "Girl Power" hangover where a load of woman now have the confiendecne and belief they can do anything. The problem being being one sex or the other doesn't make you able to do anything it's personal ability and apperance. I have met some really stupid people who think they can do things when their ability is lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I don't like the trend either. Men should pick clothes for women and vice versa. Some women can't be trusted to pick things that suit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Yeah, its disgusting alright. Girls who do this, havent got a clue and never will. I dont think they're the kind to post on internet message boards either. So they'll probably go through life with their spare tyre showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Brittany

I am what I consider to be a thin girl, (5 foot 7 and size 8) but even I can not pull off most outfits and I know it!I don't mean to be offensive but some styles of clothes are not meant for fat people and fooling yourself that the clothes look good just because they come in your size is not right at all!Dress to suit your shape and you'll look much nicer!!!Belly flab hanging out is disgusting! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Le_Rack wrote:

And how do you know what you'd look like at a size 10?

(I swear I'm big boned!!)

Horrible trend with girls though. Belly doesn't even need to be flat, it just shouldn't hang over like cookie dough or something!

rsynnott wrote:
    Sorry, you've said this a number of times; as far as I can ascertain, it has no basis in medicine. What is the health risk of being in the conventionally considered healthy range (BMI 19.5-25)?

You do realise that the people who "calculate" BMI and "what is healthy" are funded millions and millions by diet companies, right?

Being skinny like a lot of pop stars and a handful of actresses isn't particularily healthy. And yes, being very thin is worse than being overweight, by a long shot. At least when you're fat you've more energy.

Rozie wrote:
    At least when you're fat you've more energy.

That's not really true at all.
    Take popstars for example, they're what you might call thin but they're pretty damn fit to be able to get on stage every night or two and dance for hours, so they're obviously exercising and burning their fat(i.e creating energy) aswell as most likely following a great diet so realistically they'd have a whole lot more energy than any fat person, aswell as being a whole lot healthier.
    Not all "very thin" people got to be that way from eating disorders.

Fat people, on the other hand, most likely rarely exercise and try fad diets that merely drops a few pounds while at the same time dropping their metabolism. Then their little cravings for the shi'ite they ate before trying this diet kicks in, they start indulging again and end up putting on more weight and then claim that everyone who is thin has a eating disorder.

• Advertisement

Rozie wrote:
    You do realise that the people who "calculate" BMI and "what is healthy" are funded millions and millions by diet companies, right?

Ah, yes, the NHS, sponsored by WeightWatchers; the CDC, sponsored by Dr. Atkins. It's a little-known fact that most world governments are controled by the diet cartels.

Don't be silly.
    Rozie wrote:
    Being skinny like a lot of pop stars and a handful of actresses isn't particularily healthy. And yes, being very thin is worse than being overweight, by a long shot. At least when you're fat you've more energy.

I've a BMI of 20 and lots of energy, thanks. Obviously, being underweight (<18.5, guideline naturally) is unhealthy. What health issues are associated with being within the accepted medical guidelines, precisely?

Back on topic briefly, I don't care one way or another about womens' bellies hanging out. Some of the guys, though, could stand to lose a stone or five. ;)

(joking; peoples' weight is their own business)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The belly hanging out may not be attractive to the eye, but it does mean Irish women are liberated somewhat. You'd NEVER catch a French girl doing that.

I said being considerably underweight, and yes, it does sap your energy.

As for how pop-stars keep up with it it's a lot to do with "working out", and taking lots of vitamins and the like, but I still say they'd be more up for it if they gained a few pounds.
    Ah, yes, the NHS, sponsored by WeightWatchers; the CDC, sponsored by Dr. Atkins. It's a little-known fact that most world governments are controled by the diet cartels.

Don't be silly.

The US generally sets the standard for BMI that other countries then follow. And there the organisations that decide on the BMI are indeed heavily controlled by diet organisations.

Sangre wrote:
    And how do you know what you'd look like at a size 10?

(I swear I'm big boned!!)

Because I have big bones, I'm 5"6, and have a 40 DD chest. Also there is the muscle that I have to compensate for. If I were size 10 I'd look like a really bad Irish version of Jordan, cuz she's so hot, boo-yah! :rolleyes: (that was sarcasm by the way)

Le Rack wrote:
    Because I have big bones, I'm 5"6, and have a 40 DD chest. Also there is the muscle that I have to compensate for. If I were size 10 I'd look like a really bad Irish version of Jordan, cuz she's so hot, boo-yah! :rolleyes: (that was sarcasm by the way)

I unfortunately suffer from big bones too. I'd look terrible thin for that reason, I'd look far more male than I need to. At least like this I look more "the right shape".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Isn't big bones just an excuse for fat? (seriously)

DD chest is not because of large bones...

dublindude wrote:
    Isn't big bones just an excuse for fat? (seriously)

DD chest is not because of large bones...
    I didn't say it was, I'm pointing out how size 10 wouldn't look right on me, and the reasons for this, one of them happens to be that's I'd be really top heavy.

Are most peoples forearm bones two and a half inches wide? Or their index finger bone, 1cm?

Rozie wrote:
    I said being considerably underweight, and yes, it does sap your energy.

As for how pop-stars keep up with it it's a lot to do with "working out", and taking lots of vitamins and the like, but I still say they'd be more up for it if they gained a few pounds.

But you posted that whole thing about energy in response to me asking what the problem was with being in the normal range...
    Rozie wrote:
    The US generally sets the standard for BMI that other countries then follow. And there the organisations that decide on the BMI are indeed heavily controlled by diet organisations.

First of all, do you have evidence of that? Second of all, I doubt the Center for Disease Control, a government body which seems to dictate policy on obesity for the US, is being paid off by WeightWatchers....

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2005/05/19/can_medical_journals_be_trusted.php

First google hit.

A link from that page that's even more relevant:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/headline/2576

But of course, there is no "conspiracy" since the thought of human beings ever being deceitful or putting profit before people is a completely unrealistic notion. :rolleyes:

Le Rack wrote:
    Are most peoples forearm bones two and a half inches wide? Or their index finger bone, 1cm?

my index finger is 2cm's wide and I'd never consider myself "big boned".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement