Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Speed Cameras

Options
  • 12-10-2005 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭

Just read this article:

"Everyone knows speed cameras used to be housed inside grey boxes, but this is ridiculous!
    Australian drivers have to cope with this sort of sneaky behaviour from police, leading many to slam the crafty technique as 'rubbish!"

Source: Autoexpress

I think they have these in Holland also, I think they also have cameras inside parked trailers on motorways instead of the usual car or gatso van.

Next time you pass one, slow down! you never know. ;)

Though it would be kind of strange to see a wheelie bin just parked on the hard shoulder of a motorway/dual carriage way. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

What a good idea.

All gatso's should be inside wheelie bins because; think about it, where do you find wheelie bins.

Residential Streets.

Where there be wheelie bins, there be kids.

One problem though...

th_22573725_dff154e873.jpg

Oh, and the bins are only out for a small period of time. They would need somebody constantly moving and changing batteries and film in the camera as I'd imagine they couldn't give permanent power / comms from existing supplies like with fixed gatsos.

Not exactly vandal proof either. Your driving along and get flashed by a wheelie bin. You stop, put it in the boot, drive to the nearest beach when the tides on its way out and chuck it in.

Or drill some holes in top with a drill or a chain saw, pour in petrol, cover the holes, leave in the sun for an hour before throwing box’s of matches at it.

They'd be better off it the wheelie bin mover just drove around nicking people all day, mate.

What a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

You think that's bad I read recently that a top English cop advocated speed cameras hidden in cats eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

I'd pay the 6 euro bin tax charge every week to see them collect that bin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Sneaky B******s! There is no enjoyment in driving anymore. There seems to be one of them hiding behind every bush on every straight stretch of road in the country. :mad: You'll never catch them out on a bad road on a wet day though. Its always easy pickings, 5kmph over the speed limit on a main road and they have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zonemelt

We have them here too.

On the M1 just after the airport outbound there's a large white van that is parked under the bridge some mornings. You can see the camera perched inside the driver's side rear window if you drive by at the speed limit which is a silly 80 kph there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

That's just nasty. If I knew there was a wheelie bin on my road taking pictures, I'd knock it to the ground.

Advertisement