Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP and Lost System sounds

• 12-10-2005 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭

Recently and as far as I can see my XP Home box suddenly lost all system sounds, macromedia flash files don't play, ie waiting for sound output. If I goto the Control Panel sound option and click the Sound stab, the button to play the sound file is grayed out. I have tried all the usual reg fixes to sort this out to no avail. Winamp and media player work okay. I am getting worked up over it as the kids need it for their stuff

Join Ireland Weather Network

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

When you say WMP and Winamp work okay: do they play sounds on the HDD OK? (As opposed to playing CD,etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Yeah plays MP3 WMV and wav files ok. I even uninstalled Winamp but that made no difference. I am totally lost, all I can think is that there is something in the reg stopping it but as I said none of the reg fixes have worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

tcob1 wrote:
    Yeah plays MP3 WMV and wav files ok. I even uninstalled Winamp but that made no difference. I am totally lost, all I can think is that there is something in the reg stopping it but as I said none of the reg fixes have worked
    have you looked at your sound card in device manager??
    normally says if things are workin ok there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Open your control panel applet for Sounds and Audio Devices, click on the Audio Tab, what is listed as the default device for playback? and can you change it?

Another option would be to open device manager, go to Sound, Video and Game Controllers and one by one, highlight the listed objects and delete them. (some won't delete, but if you know your sound device name, then go straight to that one and delete it.) Confirm the deletion, and when you are finished, restart the PC. Device Manager will automatically discover your 'new hardware' and configure it.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I was playing last night and noticed that I cannotset the default player for MIDI. But I will delete the lot tonight when I get home from work

• Advertisement
Advertisement