Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours

Options
  • 12-10-2005 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is the right place to post this
    i was banned from after hours 10 days ago and have mailled the moderator (white wash man) on three seperate occasions the last two asking when i would be unbanned, i still have not got any reply which is bad form me thinks, what do i do now
    (just want to clarify that i dont dispute being banned twas my own fault) :eek:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Did you recieve a message informing you as to why and how long you were banned for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

oh ya, but all the message said was "banned for personal abuse" is there a standard ban time for Personal Abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

PM the mod that sent you the message and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Rabies wrote:
    PM the mod that sent you the message and ask.

If you read his post you will see has already done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Opps. Wasn't fully paying attention while reading. Was replyling to the OP second post. Missed what was said in the first post.
    Then maybe I can suggest the the OP sends a message to another mod of AH. Nesf seems to be around a good bit. Maybe he can help.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

tintinr35 wrote:
    oh ya, but all the message said was "banned for personal abuse" is there a standard ban time for Personal Abuse?
    Not that I'm aware of; though I don't frequent After Hours.

In general I think it's good practice to inform the banned user of their offence and the length of the ban by PM, but different mods deal with things differently.

I have no doubt WWMan will see this soon enough, he does frequent Feedback ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Personal Abuse bans can be permanent. They're at the moderator's discretion. You were banned 10 days ago, and you've already PM'ed him three times looking to be unbanned? I wouldn't unban you either. Have some patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

seamus wrote:
    Personal Abuse bans can be permanent. They're at the moderator's discretion. You were banned 10 days ago, and you've already PM'ed him three times looking to be unbanned? I wouldn't unban you either. Have some patience.
    My sentiment exactly. Pestering a mod when banned is not exactly a wish move if expecting to get unbanned. As seamus rightfully says, you'll have to be patient.

Its my opinion that you deserved the ban, and going by your attack on me on the Soaps Operas forum (Whats this it was you called me... ah yes,... a big Bella Doyle lover,.... you were even so kind as to post a pick for me).

Try learning from your errors OP.... That might get you unbanned, and also avoid further bannings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

tintinr35 wrote:

Its not you know...
    tintinr35 wrote:
    what do i do now

Read the dog damn stickies

memphis wrote:
    My sentiment exactly. Pestering a mod when banned is not exactly a wish move if expecting to get unbanned. As seamus rightfully says, you'll have to be patient.

Its my opinion that you deserved the ban, and going by your attack on me on the Soaps Operas forum (Whats this it was you called me... ah yes,... a big Bella Doyle lover,.... you were even so kind as to post a pick for me).

Try learning from your errors OP.... That might get you unbanned, and also avoid further bannings.

memphis i never meant to "attack" u in that thread and i do believe i clarified that i was just havin a laugh if u look back, it was just that i remembered u had posted somthing before about meeting that fella (bella), no offence meant and i did say that in the post!

this was the first time i have ever been banned from anywhere on boards and as i said it was warented, as i did insult another user by calling him a knob :o , i hardly think that is going to warrent a permenant ban though.
    and just for the record i did not pester the mod in question to un ban me, i mearley sent him 2 seperate messages on two seperate occasions asking WHEN i would be unbanned i never asked to be unbanned as i know that this is at the discretion of the moderator, i believe that there was adequate time for him/her to reply , but as of yet i have still heard nothing, which as i have stated already i think is bad form

• Advertisement

Its not you know...

im not being smart by creating this post but i think that this thread is revelent Feedback in relation to the moderation of the after hours thread,
    ( as i said before i am in agreement that i was banned but i disagree with the fact that i have been ignored on two seperate occasions by the moderator of this forum)
    when i was banned initally the only information i got was"banned"
    i mailed back "informative" and have as yet heard nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Log-out, and look at your post, and you should see the reason why WWM banned you, then also include in your message an apology.

PM the mod, saying your sorry. Do a reciept on it, as the mod may not have gotten the PM (most of 'em have lives, ya know?), and leave it. For personal abuse, depending on how bad it was, its usually a week, but the mod also takes your general behaviour into account as well for the length of the ban.

IMO.

the_syco wrote:
    Log-out, and look at your post, and you should see the reason why WWM banned you, then also include in your message an apology.

PM the mod, saying your sorry. Do a reciept on it, as the mod may not have gotten the PM (most of 'em have lives, ya know?), and leave it. For personal abuse, depending on how bad it was, its usually a week, but the mod also takes your general behaviour into account as well for the length of the ban.

IMO.

ya wwm read my messages because i requested read reciepts, i see the reason why i was banned but im not going to apologise to the moderator as he was not the person i offended, if needs be i will apologise to the member in question, i do realise that mods have lives, but i also think that if u are a mod u would be logging on at least once a day and responding to relevant posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

LOL.. didn't know that, been sending people to feedback if they felt wronged for ages. But then I reply to the people who ask why they were banned. :p

If Talliesin had banned you, you could be sure WWMan would respond in this thread. :D

Hobbes wrote:
    If Talliesin had banned you, you could be sure WWMan would respond in this thread. :D

why is that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the moderator has been fúcking busy with his own life, and will get round to unbanning you shortly.
    stop pestering me. jesus christ, youd swear the world was about to end if you cant post in AH.

Hobbes wrote:

yeah hobbes, why is that?

the moderator has been fúcking busy with his own life, and will get round to unbanning you shortly.
    stop pestering me. jesus christ, youd swear the world was about to end if you cant post in AH.

i didnt pester u, 2 messages is hardly a plague, 11 days later tho and finally something now thats lightning fast response! was wondering were u caught up in that earthquake or something :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The words "Now just leave it...." spring to mind.

is the earthquake reference meant to be humourous?

i dont answer to you, so when i unban you is at my discression. if you feel that you should have been unbanned many days ago,. place a helpdesk ticket and take it up with the admins.

and a 'thanks for unbanning me so quickly after i was a right tool in the AH forum' would probably go further than your poor use of sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

tintinr35 wrote:
    i didnt pester u, 2 messages is hardly a plague, 11 days later tho and finally something now thats lightning fast response! was wondering were u caught up in that earthquake or something :eek:
    That's not the best post to make when you're trying to get unbanned, mate.
    I know it's a p*sser - I got banned BY ACCIDENT for 5 days once! :D :rolleyes:
    But you don't get anywhere by having a go at the mod in question, except perhaps Prison.

These things happen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

tintinr35 wrote:
    was wondering were u caught up in that earthquake or something :eek:

I'd ban him for an extra month for that miserable comment wwm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

tintinr35 wrote:
    i was banned from after hours 10 days ago and have mailled the moderator (white wash man) on three seperate occasions the last two asking when i would be unbanned, i still have not got any reply which is bad form me thinks, what do i do now
    (just want to clarify that i dont dispute being banned twas my own fault) :eek:

Aragh, I was banned from the Work forum about a year and a half ago and despite sending a few PM's to the mod asking to be unbanned, I never recieved a response. So I just gave up.
    Never figured out why I had been banned either.....

You just eventually come to the conclusion that the mod doesn't know how to use a mouse.

if you were banned from the work forum, you really must have done something to seriously annoy me.

i think ive only ever banned about 3 people from that forum for reasons other than advertising.

its always the same, every convict is innocent....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

That's what I thought but, really, what can you post on the work forum to get banned?!?!?! It must have been Jekyll.
    Now that you're here though......

and a 'thanks for unbanning me so quickly after i was a right tool in the AH forum' would probably go further than your poor use of sarcasm.

did u not realise that the whole reason i started this thread was becasue u HAVE NOT un banned me so why would i thank u??

anyway think there has been enough said but its good to know that to get a moderators attention u have to start up a thread about the problem, ill know for again

but why should i have unbanned you?

becuase you say so?

i unbanned you today because i was feeling nice. now, im not. and while i am not going to ban you again, even for being such a prissy little príck, im certainly going to keep my eye on you.

Sleipnir wrote:
    That's what I thought but, really, what can you post on the work forum to get banned?!?!?! It must have been Jekyll.
    Now that you're here though......

access allowed again.
    ask mr jekyll what he did and let me know :)

unless it was that nesf fella, hes an awful bastárd sometimes...!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

unless it was that nesf fella, hes an awful bastárd sometimes...!

Indiscriminate bannings help keep people on their toes. You taught me that one remember ;)

• Advertisement

oh, way to give away one of the secrets to moderating nesf.
    jeez....!

Advertisement