Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

tintinr35 wrote:
    its good to know that to get a moderators attention u have to start up a thread about the problem, ill know for again
    Not true and in any case be forewarned that the attention you get isn't necessarily good attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

/me huggles Ropeh for general sensibility.

...and because Badger are the best brewery in the world.

*hic*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

i unbanned you today because i was feeling nice. now, im not. and while i am not going to ban you again, even for being such a prissy little príck, im certainly going to keep my eye on you.

Anyone else find it ironic that the OP gets banned from AH for personal abuse, yet the person who banned him from AH does the same on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Anyone else find it ironic that the OP gets banned from AH for personal abuse, yet the person who banned him from AH does the same on this forum?

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Rules on that sort of thing seem to be a bit lighter in here. And he did whine most dreadfully... And then made smart comments when unbanned. Someone should make a list of these threads on the Biki; they're fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

tintinr35 wrote:
    its good to know that to get a moderators attention u have to start up a thread about the problem, ill know for again

thanks for drawing our attention to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

rsynnott wrote:
    Someone should....

you, maybe?

rsynnott wrote:
    Rules on that sort of thing seem to be a bit lighter in here. And he did whine most dreadfully... And then made smart comments when unbanned. Someone should make a list of these threads on the Biki; they're fun.

Or someone could introduce a site wide policy of PMing people who've been banned wit the length of ban and instructions to PM said mod when ban is up for access included.

Then maybe the number of these threads would drop off considerably.

Or someone could introduce a site wide policy of PMing people who've been banned wit the length of ban and instructions to PM said mod when ban is up for access included.

Then maybe the number of these threads would drop off considerably.

hey, you sound like youd be the perfect mod. why dont you go and say something on the other thread about mods not being moddy enough?

hey, you sound like youd be the perfect mod. why dont you go and say something on the other thread about mods not being moddy enough?

No intention of doing it, because I think that in general, mods do a decent job on boards.

This comes up every few days on feedback, and I canonly imagine how many times it occurs in PMs and in forums I don't read. Its a suggestion Eamo, no need to take everything so personal.

• Advertisement

im not. im making a suggestion.

im also trying to point out that there are many sides to many things, and there is no 'one size fits all' solution to anything here. you cant seem to understand that.
    besides, youre first contibution was merely to point out me saying i think someone is a prissy little príck. was there a point to that, or did you just feel it needed to be said?

im not. im making a suggestion.

im also trying to point out that there are many sides to many things, and there is no 'one size fits all' solution to anything here. you cant seem to understand that.

There's nothing to understand. Banning a person is pretty much "one size fits all", the only variables are the offence and the length of the ban. Like I said, if a person was PMed with the length of the ban and the reason, then a lot of these threads wouldn't happen.
    besides, youre first contibution was merely to point out me saying i think someone is a prissy little príck. was there a point to that, or did you just feel it needed to be said?

HOW THIS FORUM WORKS!! (read me)
    Like all forums this one is built on civility to one another

i·ro·ny (ī'rə-nē, ī'ər-) pronunciation
    n., pl. -nies.

1. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
    2. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

i·ro·ny (ī'rə-nē, ī'ər-) pronunciation
    n., pl. -nies.

1. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
    2. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

actually, for real irony, tintin35 should have been a mod here and have the ability to ban me.
    that would be irony.

but i see you have no jumped on the band wagon, so good luck to you.

if this is how the forum works by the way, why didnt the OP putin a helpdesk request? i get so confused these days as to all the rules, but its good to know we have so many people here to point them out.

again, youd make a fine upstanding mod. you really should put your opinion up on the other thread. i think it will probably be received there better than here.

but i see you have no jumped on the band wagon, so good luck to you.

Which bandwagon?

The boards n00bs "wah wah wah, mods should be holier than thou" bandwagon on the mods should be more moddy thread? Give me a break WWM, if you're seeing snipers behind every grassy knoll maybe its time you started taking the happy pills again.

???

yeah. ok. i think youll find that there was no sniper on the grassy knoll, i dont take pills, and im not too worried about it.

im just curious as to why you thought youd throw your hat into the ring on this thread, or did you just feel the need to say something?

or are you the defender of the poor undertrodden users of boards.ie that the mods beat daily with a large stick in the form of bans etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

but why should i have unbanned you?

becuase you say so?

i unbanned you today because i was feeling nice. now, im not. and while i am not going to ban you again, even for being such a prissy little príck, im certainly going to keep my eye on you.
    If people are to be banned for personal abuse then I'd like to see White Wash Man be a man and accept a banning from Feedback for calling the OP a prissy little prick over a whinge that just so happened to have its roots in the OP calling some other poster a knob......

Anything else would just be just be damaging to your reputation and credibility White Wash Man...........I'd hate to hear anyone suggest that you may need a new boards account called White Wash Hypocrite.

im just curious as to why you thought youd throw your hat into the ring on this thread, or did you just feel the need to say something?

or are you the defender of the poor undertrodden users of boards.ie that the mods beat daily with a large stick in the form of bans etc.?

Thats me, champion of the little people.

in that case, carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Raiser wrote:
    If people are to be banned for personal abuse then I'd like to see White Wash Man be a man and accept a banning from Feedback for calling the OP a prissy little prick over a whinge that just so happened to have its roots in the OP calling some other poster a knob......

Anything else would just be just be damaging to your reputation and credibility White Wash Man...........I'd hate to hear anyone suggest that you may need a new boards account called White Wash Hypocrite.

I think Feedback is kinda no mans land where you can call someone a prick and get away with it. I'm not too sure on that.

I'll wait for clarification before telling WhiteWashMan that hes probably the biggest prick round here. Sadly, my limited knowledge of him tells me he might take that as a compliment.

Draupnir wrote:
    I think Feedback is kinda no mans land where you can call someone a prick and get away with it. I'm not too sure on that.

I'll wait for clarification before telling WhiteWashMan that hes probably the biggest prick round here. Sadly, my limited knowledge of him tells me he might take that as a compliment.

if im banned, then im happy to take it.

unfortunately, i cant ban myself. feel free to call me a príck though. i actually dont mind. although you would be wrong about me being the biggest. there are bigger prícks around here.

• Advertisement

i know you'd take the ban man, I wasnt arguing with that, the point being that its only a Ban and the world wont stop right?

i wasnt seriously calling you a prick either, i dont know you and to assume you were a prick because of forum comments would be harsh.

sometimes though, i think you should tone down the act a wee bit.

a lot of the older forum members have a tendency to adopt a, perfectly natural, superiority complex in that. i think it is an unfortunate side effect of the community aspect to boards and will always cause trouble with newer users who resent the fact that they may be missing out on an in joke or possibly that they are being bullied by an established "old boys club" as it were.

the upshot being, that this type of thing means boards has developed from just a bulletin board to what is effectively a society and is adopting the traits of normal human society, such as tribalism, jealousy and segragation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Raiser wrote:

Since when does WWM moderate this forum? Is he a hypocrite if I see no need to ban him? Are you making no sense?

WWM banned someone for personal abuse and then went on to abuse him personally with zeal and vigour - seemingly without any justifiable reason or provocation.

My point is that people should sometimes lead by example, if you give it out - then be prepared to take it yourself, lets see some integrity, I always did hate double-standards, why not ban the WWM for breaking his own rule.

Your point seems to be that personal abuse on boards.ie is fine.
    - So fine, lets all fu*k each other out of it cause we don't agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

I think Draupnir may be right.
    I think there are some truths about mods and the old boys club coming out here in this thread.

So is it ok for anyone to call someone a pri*k on boards or is it just the mods who are allowed to spout abuse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

My point is that people should sometimes lead by example, if you give it out - then be prepared to take it yourself, lets see some integrity, I always did hate double-standards, why not ban the WWM for breaking his own rule.

This is the Feedback forum, WWM's rules don't apply here. If you think that he should refrain from acting in a manner that he himself wouldn't tolerate, then that's a perfectly valid point of view to take and you could even extend that to a comment about hypocrisy. However, his own POV on such matters has nothing to do with him being banned or not or whether a ban says anything about his standards or hypocrisy.
    Your point seems to be that personal abuse on boards.ie is fine.
    - So fine, lets all fu*k each other out of it cause we don't agree.

My point is nothing of the sort. I'd rather it wasn't a regular feature of this forum, but that's my fault since it does get overlooked far more here than on most other forums, as I've commented upon before.

Raiser wrote:
    WWM banned someone for personal abuse and then went on to abuse him personally with zeal and vigour - seemingly without any justifiable reason or provocation.

I think this guy should be given an award of some sort for using the words "zeal" and "vigour" in a logical and appropriate way in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Most definetly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Raiser wrote:

There's a specific rule against personal abuse in the After Hours charter.

There's not a similar rule here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Raiser wrote:
    I always did hate double-standards, why not ban the WWM for breaking his own rule.
    WWM does not make the rules on this forum,Things are different in many forums.if he was banned for it,he would take it and not whinge.Therefore not being a 'prissy little prick' like the OP seems to come accross as being.He got banned for abuse and is demanding that the mod answer him.WWM doesn't have to do that but the OP has a different story and is basically just being a nuisance about it.If nobody in power thinks WWM should be banned then he shouldn't be.If it is WWM's rule about personal abuse then it is his rule and does not have to be upheld on this the way you assume he would uphold it.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    There's a specific rule against personal abuse in the After Hours charter.

There's not a similar rule here.
    Fu*k me, you're right.

Advertisement