Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Weasling their way out of things on technicalities. Jesus its like a political party now.

Can we get some clarification then before we throw away all morals and abuse the **** out of each other with complete immunity.

Is it ok to call people Pri*ks, C*nts, B*astards, etc in the feedback forum - because thats the message you guys are giving.

Feedback will become the Personal abuse Zone. Well done WWM and Eksor for your part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

WHY? WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY THE F*CKING F&CK DO WE NEED CLARIFICATION???

Jesus wept, all I read these days on feedback is this jobsworth bolloxology about how boards moderators should do blahb lahblahblabhalbhalbh NOBODY CARES.

GO HERE: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0399144463/104-9088179-5200712?v=glance

And if you don't like boards.ie, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

[/me throws keyboard at the wall]

Jesus wept, all I read these days on feedback is this jobsworth bolloxology about how boards moderators should do blahb lahblahblabhalbhalbh NOBODY CARES.

GO HERE: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0399144463/104-9088179-5200712?v=glance

Deep breaths there Minesajackdaniels.
    Pop a pill or 2

Of course we need clarification.

Its like this. The guys should clarify this and prevent the feedback forum from descending to the level of a personal abuse forum dont you think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Newshound wrote:

for clarification then

Boards is a benevolent dictatorship

this really should pop up when newbies register

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I like the way some people are talking about all this as if it's their yearly review in work or something important.

Clarification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'll translate for Minesajackdaniels - I just bought the Rantometer V1.8 on www.iwantoneofthose.com

Dear me, oh my, jeepers, why do you require clarification?

The son of God shed a tear, the Mods are being critised every day on the only forum suitable for criticising Mods.

The Mods do not care - ie. take no action, make no changes, admit no wrongs.

A brief sidenote, if I may - there is some cheese gone astray - please peruse my link.

Your input is not appreciated, please leave and do not come back.

[Turns keyboard into projectile to vent anger and thwart all incoming reason]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Newshound wrote:

Its like this. The guys should clarify this and prevent the feedback forum from descending to the level of a personal abuse forum dont you think.

Read the charters on each forum.
    They aren't there for decoration.
    It's that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

WWM does not make the rules on this forum,Things are different in many forums.if he was banned for it,he would take it and not whinge.Therefore not being a 'prissy little prick' like the OP seems to come accross as being.He got banned for abuse and is demanding that the mod answer him.WWM doesn't have to do that but the OP has a different story and is basically just being a nuisance about it.If nobody in power thinks WWM should be banned then he shouldn't be.If it is WWM's rule about personal abuse then it is his rule and does not have to be upheld on this the way you assume he would uphold it.

i never demanded Fúck all off the mod. *i did expect a responce*, i never demanded at any stage to be unbanned, just wanted to know how long my ban was gonna last.
    (never thought this was going to stretch to 4 pages tho)
    ive now learned my lesson on the evils of personal abuse :rolleyes:
    maybe a ban(or a slice of humble pie) would do WWM some good!
    the fact that it is not in the charter that one cannot abuse another does not make it alright to do so!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Newshound wrote:
    Can we get some clarification then before we throw away all morals and abuse the **** out of each other with complete immunity.
    Did you mean to say "impunity" or do you not understand how this works?

Oh for **** sake.
    Whats the point of posting in this thread anymore.
    Instead of doing something to refute the accusation about the old boys club bullying the newbies they gang up together spouting rubbish and even mention the word 'Newbies'.

This thread should be held up as a shining example of how childish the old boys club can get.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    Did you mean to say "impunity" or do you not understand how this works?

The golden rule of newsgroups. When you have nothing to add stay quiet or post about someones spelling or punctuation.

I see which route you've chosen.

Over and out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tintinr35 wrote:
    i never demanded Fúck all off the mod accept a responce
    That's what I said, you demanded nothing except a response. You can't demand anything off him, he may have permitted you the courtesy of knowing how long the ban was going to last if he wanted but that is all.If he doesn't tell you after several PM's,let it be.Assume he either didn't get around to telling you or that he wasn't going to tell you.If he didn't unban you in around a month or whatever PM him again asking how long it is,did he forget to unban you or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Raiser wrote:
    I'll translate for Minesajackdaniels - [poor attempt at translation]

It must be your mother who keeps telling you you're funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Instead of doing something to refute the accusation about the old boys club bullying the newbies they gang up together spouting rubbish and even mention the word 'Newbies'.

That's such a newbie thing to say....oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Newshound wrote:
    The golden rule of newsgroups. When you have nothing to add stay quiet or post about someones spelling or punctuation.

I see which route you've chosen.

Over and out
    :rolleyes:
    It was a genuine query. Did you mean to say "immunity" or "impunity"? I'm fully understanding of possible typos, but if you did mean "immunity", then you've clearly no understanding of how these forums work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I think people are not actually reading the posts on this thread.

Everyone seems to have their mind made up before they post and will not be turned or swayed.

This therefore makes the rational and valid posters waste an awful lot of time on people who are quite frankly not worth it.

My Point of View:

1. When you get banned, you are not automatically entitled to be unbanned.

2. When you pester a mod (whether asking to be unbanned, or asking how long the ban is going to be) don't expect to ever be unbanned. I'm not going to repeat the sensible advice above as I can't improve upon it.

3. If you don't like boards.ie, or the way it / it's admins or / it's moderators operate, there is nothing forcing you to stay here and post here. I'm not telling people to go away, in fact I believe in the phrase "The more the merrier", but quite frankly we could do with a few less of the people who don't bother to read the rules/charters, get themselves banned because of that, and then moan and pester the mods and general users about the 'unfairness' of it. Life is not fair, that goes doubly for online life.

4. Increased usage of the helpdesk is in order.

Baz_

P.S. yes I realise I have just posted somewhat paradoxically...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Time to close this thread.

Tintin35 has served his time for the heineous crime of calling soemone a knob - cue rehabillitation and tatoo removal.

Whitewashman
    has escaped his own justice by exploiting the www.boards.ie > feedback > "profanity loophole" - and a little help from his friends in high places.

The Mod.s have established that all Mod.s are innocent in the eyes of, yes, the Mod.s - copious quantities of technicalites can be furnished and twisted to bolster any case even if it has more holes in it than Minesajackdaniels missing cheese.

My dear old Mum [not a boardsie] has mistakenly informed me that I'm the king of comedy :( Hope she wasn't wrong about me being very handsome :o

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Oh for **** sake.

Newshound the simplicity of your request has obviously caused a bit of a brain melt amongst the help. Don't worry yourself with them. The admins moderate this board and are the only ones you need to persuade. Click the "Report Bad Post" icon on the offending post and put in "Rude/Abusive" as the reason if you want WWM to be banned. Then leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Raiser wrote:
    - So fine, lets all fu*k each other out of it cause we don't agree.

Why must you be such a potty mouth? It damages my innocence...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Why can't we all just get along?/Won't somebody think of the children?

blah-blah yadda yadda etc.

You can't personally insult someone on AH- the rule there is attack the post, not the poster. Seeing as this is a forum for feedback, a little more frankness is allowed.

I think the paranoia that some people have about Boards being an Old boy's club is coming out on this thread. Frankly, it's not. I'm still a noob and seem to be getting along quite well. Ditto Nukem, ditto tSubh Dearg etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Raiser wrote:
    the Mods are being critised every day on the only forum suitable for criticising Mods
    There is no forum for criticising mods. If you have a complaint and have not been able to deal with the matter through PMs then open a help desk ticket.

If you have an idea about a gerenal policy change, then that is appropriate here, but that's not the same as criticising mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Shabadu wrote:

I think the paranoia that some people have about Boards being an Old boy's club is coming out on this thread. Frankly, it's not. I'm still a noob and seem to be getting along quite well. Ditto Nukem, ditto tSubh Dearg etc.

Uncle Tom's the lot of ya.

I jest of course

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Raiser wrote:

Tintin35 has served his time for the heineous crime of calling soemone a knob - cue rehabillitation and tatoo removal.

actually, i decide that, not you.
    if you ever become a mod, it wont take you long to get fed up of warning people for abuse, and just ban them first time every time. and then you start to understand just how many people post on this site, and that you know, sometimes, bans can be left for a while.
    besides, there is no specific time for specific bans. in the old days, you were just wiped from the site.
    i was never a fan of people handing out 1 week bans. people just get the idea that once a week is over they are automatically allowed back into a forum. well, you know what. thats not true.
    if i ban you, you can come back when i let you in. just becuase some idiot complained on here and i let him back in, he then feels he has the right to critisize me about this?
    i think not.
    Raiser wrote:
    Whitewashman has escaped his own justice by exploiting the www.boards.ie > feedback > "profanity loophole" - and a little help from his friends in high places.

actually, im a big boy now, and im very aware of what i write. personally i dont give a monkeys about a 'profanity loophole', but what i will say is that i live by the motto 'if you cant do the time, dont do the crime'.
    if i get banned from the feedback forum, im quite happy to take it, becuase i broke the rules.
    although, how am i going to post on the feedback forum and complain about not having my ban lifted after 1 week? now thats ironic!

friends in high places. well, i have been around here for the past 10 years, i suspect it would only be the decent thing to have been drunk with many of the admins, other moderators and lots of users here in that time. hell, it would be rude not to.

its a community, not a fúcking governement secret agency. i mean seriously, friends in high places. thats laughable. i see the admins as other users, just like you or me. i dont set them on a pedastal. sorry guys, i just dont see you that way!
    i would say exactly the same thing to them, as i would to anyone else, and if i think they have fúcked up, i tell them, and if i think they have acted like prissy little prícks, then i tell them that too.
    and you know what?
    they know i will do that. because thats who i am.

i am a good moderator. i am mostly straight as an arrow and pretty consistant. if some fool complains here that im not doing my job, where he was in the wrong in the first place, and then starts giving me lip, i dont ban him (although some people think i should), no, i just say a thank you would be nice, considering you fúcked up in the first place. to get abuse, then yes, i feel its my right to tell them to fúck off quite frankly. if that earns me a ban, so fúcking what? if it doesnt, who cares. 4 people who have little else to do with thier time, who want to argue symantics and try and score points in some stupid invisble game of 'fight the power', or by trying to show everyone that there is some sort of corruption deep in the underbelly of boards.ie
    this isnt the x-files.
    there is no corruption.
    youre looking for things that arent there, and you are fighting some fight that doesnt matter.

at the end of the day, who cares if i get banned or not. will it make such a huge difference, or is it really just because i have high powered friends who will keep me safe? i mean, what really is the point?
    are you trying to just point out some sort of hypocrasy? is that it?

what do you actually really want?
    Raiser wrote:

The Mod.s have established that all Mod.s are innocent in the eyes of, yes, the Mod.s - copious quantities of technicalites can be furnished and twisted to bolster any case even if it has more holes in it than Minesajackdaniels missing cheese.

the mods are aware of how the site works, and as such will usually place their faith in a mod. not always the correct thign to do, because we all make mistakes sometimes, but in general, i think its safe to say that if a mod says something, then its correct.
    you know, its a bit like when i was a techie. we used to think that all users were idiots, and that as techies we were always right. usually, we were...
    Raiser wrote:

My dear old Mum [not a boardsie] has mistakenly informed me that I'm the king of comedy :( Hope she wasn't wrong about me being very handsome :o

always trust your dear old mum, and treat her well i say. and if you are the king of comedy in her eyes and the most handsome boy, then, be happy you have a fan.

can we have a 'a mod stole my cheese' forum and can i mod it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Newshound wrote:

I don't see how a discussion of the rules on the Feedback forum is relevant to a thread about an After Hours ban. In relation to "how it's like", it's like whatever the admins judge it to be at any given time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Newshound wrote:
    Oh for **** sake.
    Whats the point of posting in this thread anymore.

Boards works in a particular way, which is being explained to you. You don't have to like it you know. And since you're here less than a month apparently, those who are here longer might just get away with calling you a newbie. Normally I wouldn't be very keen on the use of that word, but if you're going to come in after a month (assuming you're not a "new nick, same bull****" example) and start telling us how to do things then it's fair game IMO.
    This thread should be held up as a shining example of how childish the old boys club can get.

Is this based on your past month of observing the boards? Can we have a list of who exactly is in the old boy's club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This whole thread is a terrible waste of perfectly good electrons that could be used to feed the starving masses in Jibrovia or somewhere.

If you want to play here, play nice. If you don't, you get turfed out. Simple as.

The odd occassional collateral casualty doesn't count in the greater scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was banned from the After Hours forum a few days ago for posting something inappropriate. I thought it was funny and worth sharing though in hindsight I realise it was far too adult in nature to post about.

I PM'd Seamus and explained the situation and he told me the ban was indefinite.

I accept that the job of Moderator is difficult and time consuming so even though I liked the AH forum alot, I just have to accept the ban and move on.

This place isn't a right, it's a privilege. If you abuse that privilege (even by accident) you can have no complaints.

I'm not bitter towards Seamus for the ban as he was just doing what he had to do. From the looks of the prison forum and the trolls who attack other forums, clearly there are alot of muppets being dealt with on a daily basis around here.

A little understanding wouldn't go amiss.

Advertisement