Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google rank changing on PC/Mac

Options
  • 12-10-2005 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I've set up a site and entered it into Google et al. Google has indexed it and I was checking up on the rank from my home computer - Mac - FF and IE. I got top rank for my search so I was all chuffed etc. Then the next day I went to work and looked at it on IE Win XP and the search result was 5th in the rank. I checked it on Firefox on the pc and it was still 5th. When I went home I checked it on Firefox and IE on Mac and it is at the first rank.

I didn't imagine it to be possible to have a different rank based on your computer, is it?! Another thing - at home I'm on dialup while at work we have a speedy line. Oh, and when I use google it defaults to google.com.gr but it happens on both machines.

Weird or normal?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's more likely the ISP than the browser -- if your work connects via an ISP with British netbocks, for example, you might be directed to a Google server in Britain rather than Ireland, in which case you'd be viewing a different index.

This happens because Google runs intelligent DNS that chooses the datacenter closest to you dynamically. Very cool stuff.

jmcc, what's the technical name for that again? Not geolocation, the actual DNS term for it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I see, didn't know google would have many indexes.

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

Google has multiple datacenters that can each contain a different version of the index. This is a great tool to simultaneously view your rankings on multiple datacenters at once.

Google is going through a massive update at the mo (it is 43 days into it for me) and it could be another month before it stabilises. So I wouldn't be shocked if you notice large jumps in ranking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

As seo-ireland said, I think it's a mix of different datacentre and the google update.

Google does not give a **** what browser you are using.

Ask on forums.seochat.com if you want a detailed answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Cheers for the link seo-ireland, it doesn't make any sense to me right now but then it is 6am... And for the forum link dd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

LOL :)

OK, try this one to see if all the datacentres are giving the same pagerank for your site: http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/future-pagerank/

Before you say it seo-ireland, I know pagerank is bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

dublindude wrote:
    Before you say it seo-ireland, I know pagerank is bollox.

Hehe - 'mouth' 'words' 'out' 'of' :D

Advertisement