Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRiver H10 vs iAudio X5

• 12-10-2005 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭

Ok ok ok... I know everyone is sick of these questions/threads but this is my last resort. I've been reading reviews about both these mp3 players but as most of the people I know use iPods they aren't much help.

What I want to really know is are the controls for the iAudio X5 easy to use?
    Whats the video playback like?

Can the iRiver charge from usb?

Any other remarks greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't know much in debt details about either, but the H10 and X5 are completely different. If you want an iRiver product comparable to the X5, the H340 is the one to look out for. Hopefully somebody else will be able to help you further. The iAudio X5 is the best MP3 player out there at the moment although the price difference between that and other players may not reflect in it's extra features and functions too much.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I dont think the price diff is that much now, most 20GB units are around 300, the X5-20GB is 330 - for the styling and build alone I would be happy to spend the 30 euro.

In relation to the controls on the iAudio, its like navigating folders on a PC and the stick is solid + easy to use. You also have the direct play/pause/rec buttons on the side. Video playback is good at 15fps, iRiver is 10fps and for comparison a standard TV is 25fps, so 15 is not bad on a small screen.

Not relevant to this thread but I got my hands on the A2 today and first impressions are that this is one hell of a portable media player, having great fun with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Thanks Felixdhc. Gonna see what the A2 looks like now. : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

While you can charge MP3 players from USB they charge much slower than they do from AC. None of those players are great at video. The X5 hasn't a great screen. If you want video look at the Cowon A2 or the PSP or the Creative Zen Vision.

http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.2202
    http://www.dapreview.net/content.php?review.218
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000587059985/
    http://www.dapreview.net/content.php?review.219

For curiosity where did you get the A2 and how much did it cost?

Thanks for the links ricardo - I'm gonna be drooling over them for weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Personally I don't get the need for portable video.

I know yea. Especially as I'm fussy about the quality of films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Personally I don't get the need for portable video.
    Watch family guy on the bus/at the back of horrible lectures and watch the time fly by. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I was not really bothered about portable video until recently. But I now travel a fair bit and can be away overnight a lot so it would be handy to have a few films etc to watch. Also it would certainly make a 4 hour flight off on hols a lot more tolerable. The A2 is not actually that much bigger than an iPod in length anyway. It is quite heavy though.

Missingtime, they are not available yet, I got it through someone who knows someone ;) Its a sample unit, instructions etc are all in Korean :eek: They will be here mid November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I work for a retailer, and I will be selling the A2. It will be released in Ireland at the beginning of November and will (probably) sell for between 500 and 600 euros, which, for what you're getting there, is a bloody good price. The X5 is a brilliant little machine. I got myself a 30GB X5L - best toy I ever bought myself! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Bard wrote:
    I work for a retailer, and I will be selling the A2. It will be released in Ireland at the beginning of November and will (probably) sell for between 500 and 600 euros, which, for what you're getting there, is a bloody good price. The X5 is a brilliant little machine. I got myself a 30GB X5L - best toy I ever bought myself! :D
    Ok... correction on the above... RRP on the A2 is more like €469... and that's a feckin' brilliant price for what you're getting. My supplier brought one in to show to me on Thursday. Great little gadget. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

bard, i cant find the dimensions of the a2 anywhere, you wouldnt happen to know them? i'm thinking of buying the archos av500 but the cowon a2 seems worthy of some research. whats the quality of the video recording like?

thanks

Advertisement