Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oops... which bit is fried?

• 14-09-2001 5:20pm
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

An ELCB (circuit breaker - tripswitch type thing) tripped out in the house today while the pc's were on... and now the main one won't start.
    It will power on only for 1 to 2 seconds and then power itself off...
    I have tried removing everything except the ram, processor and gfx card, clearing the CMOS (i tried swapping a different gfx card but this didn't work)... still no joy.
    Which of the processor, ram or motherboard are the most likely to be fuxored, or is there anything else I can try?

The motherboard is a KT7A-raid, the processor is an AMD 1.4ghz, memory is 2 x 256mb sticks of crucial 133 which I have tried moving about in various combinations with still no joy....

Cheers,

Mark.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

A beautiful "verifying DMI pool data..." on the other PC
    Today ain't my day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

wow what a conicidence there.

i had same prob yesterday on saome board+cpu.
    all i did was make sure everythign was connected right (heatsink especially) and remove+ replace ram. It started after that.

bad thing tho is that i fried my cpu in 6 seconds cos my heatsink wasnt plugged in proper. now both mobo+cpu are dead :(

gl and hope u dont fry it like i did.
    (good news is tho im now getting the new athlon 4 1.5ghz with the abit kt266a mobo with ddr ram so i think it was a sign that i should upgrade already :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Did you find the source of the switch-tripping?

Did you try a test using another power-supply?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

For the moment I solved the problem by throwing money at it...
    When I have more time I will see which bits are actually fried...
    I suspect that at least the PSU and either/or the CPU/motherboard are also damaged...
    Source of the tripping - not sure yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

source of triping stupid child sticking fingers into socket trying to pay homage to the sparkley god

could just be the mobo or the psu i know that ( depending on that u have the same ones as mine) the plugs or the psu is ment to be able to handle this sort of thing once in a while . im guessing that its all kinda new since that board aint out that long and the chip even shorter . so if all fails just say found a prob with ur stuff and bring it back to the guys that sold it to you

• Advertisement
Advertisement