Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance advice

Options
  • 13-10-2005 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I had a question that I wanted to ask someone who works /worked in car insurance.
    I have just moved to back to Ireland, and I'll need to get a new provisional cause my last expired a long time ago.

I have a full canadian license for last 4 years, but its got a lot of points/reckless driving conviction. What you think I should do?

I just want to get a car here - I wanted to get something nice, but I don't know if the insurance will be a problem - should I just say I have a provisional or say I had a out of country license and not mention the driving record on it. Most companies seem to want 3 years residency - if I lie, would they find out and if my car was then stolen, would they pay out?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

brianmacd wrote:
    if I lie, would they find out and if my car was then stolen, would they pay out?

No. If you lie on your insurance application they will find out and would love nothing more than to invalidate your insurance. More importantly if you're in an accident where you're liable you'll find you're stuffed for that too.

Prob best to forget the Canada thing re-apply for a new prov here and suck it up for the inevitable screwing on the insurance. Unless you're loaded you can probably kiss goodbye to 'something nice' too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

You're going to have to lie regardless - you'll be asked to declare any driving convictions/penalty points and it won't necessarily mean just those on whatever licence you happen to hold at that particular time. It will just be harder to find out about points issued in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

you dont have to tell them about convictions from a different country and they have no way of finding out about it from here anyway that and they are not transferable across borders i wouldnt worry about it if they accept your canadian licence go with it and if they accept a foreign NCB all the better but most insurance companies wont
    Pete

Advertisement