Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannibal Holocaust

Options
  • 13-10-2005 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

It finaly has a release date from Grindhouse(region 1) 25/10/2005.

http://www.cannibalholocaust.net/

"The most controversial movie ever made has finally arrived on DVD! Banned and heavily censored throughout the world, here is a film that surpasses its reputation as a shotgun blast to the senses. CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST presents the "found footage" of four documentary filmmakers who experience brutal death at the hands of a savage South American tribe of flesh-eaters. This footage is so intense, so graphic and so unflinching in its realism that the director and producer of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST were arrested upon its original release and the film seized.

Widely acknowledged as the uncredited inspiration for THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST has been both praised and vilified for its portrait of savagery. Ruggero Deodato's nihilistic masterwork critiques the implications of Mondo-style filmmaking, even as it explores the most disturbing extremes of cruelty and exploitation. Not for the weak of stomach, the film's horrifying power cannot be denied.

Grindhouse Releasing's 25th Anniverary collector's edition DVD stands as the definitive release of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. The deluxe 2-disc set boasts a brand-new, hi-definition digital restoration of the uncensored director's cut, an exhaustive menu of bonus features and sensational packaging.

Be forewarned: This is the one that goes ALL THE WAY!

SPECIAL FEATURES -Spectacular new digital stereo re-mix and original mono mix -Provocative audio commentary by director Ruggero Deodato and star Robert Kerman -Selected on-camera commentary -THE MAKING OF CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST - one hour Italian documentary featuring rare behind the scenes footage -Exclusive on-camera interviews with Deodato, Kerman, and co-star Gabriel Yorke -Theatrical trailers and still galleries -The original shooting script -Necrophagia "CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST" music video - directed by Jim Van Bebber (THE MANSON FAMILY) -Liner notes by legendary horror journalist Chas. Balun -Other surprises!!! "

I for one cannot wait to add this to my collection!

X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jason vii

hi, it's being shown on the 29th of October in the IFI as part of the Horrorthon festival. There is also a Q & A session with Ruggero Deodato. click the link for more info. http://horrorthon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive never seen this but heard plenty about it. Every time I see it for sale its always really pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Tusky wrote:
    Ive never seen this but heard plenty about it. Every time I see it for sale its always really pricey.

€14.46 + shipping from www.dvdpacific.com

X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

It sounds like a snuff film. Is it all real or special effects? You make it sounds like a factual documentary in that first post.

I just watched it. I think I may have seen the censroed version though. It was an hour and 13 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

its special effects but shot in a way that you would think it was real. it does have scenes of animals being killed though which are real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

It sounds like a snuff film. Is it all real or special effects? You make it sounds like a factual documentary in that first post.

It's a mockumentary within a fictional narrative. It's about a documentary crew who disapear while making a film about cannibalism and how a group of people reenter to find out what happened. But the entire film has a very real feeling to it. The prosthetics are startlingly realistic and have caused a lot of debate over the years as to whether they're authentic.

I actually didnt find it that shocking at all...maybe its because I watched the censored version though. Damn censors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

gave it a watch there at the horrorthon, was the uncensored version (and the director was there in attendance, gave an introduction and did some q and a after, seemed like a really pleasant chap)

anyway yeah the animal killing was pretty nasty, especially the turtle, and made the film feel a bit disjointed.

The film itself was surprisingly good, and I really liked it. (was gonna say enjoyed it, but that's probably not the right word for it)

Cactus Col wrote:
    The film itself was surprisingly good, and I really liked it. (was gonna say enjoyed it, but that's probably not the right word for it)
    I hate trying to explain to people why I rate the film so highly...

Still gutted I missed Deodato at the horrorthon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

its a genuinely good film the cruelty etc just makes it more hard hitting etc.. as Deodato said 9sorry u missed him lodgepole)he was trying to attack the media, i think he did a good job.

captain P wrote:
    its a genuinely good film the cruelty etc just makes it more hard hitting etc.. as Deodato said 9sorry u missed him lodgepole)he was trying to attack the media, i think he did a good job.
    Exactly. It's a remarkably effective film and it deserves to be watched and indeed preserved. It's a perfect example of why shock cinema shouldn't be banned. For those of us able to sit through it (and it's tough) it is incredibly satisfying. It is so far from exploitation it's not even funny. Enjoyable is isn't, but a masterpiece it certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

It's not a bad movie for it's time, it does have something to say, which I think is important in a movie like this, as splatter movies which just delve into the gratuitous for no reason always seem to be distasteful and puerile to me.

There are very disturbing scenes such as gang rapes, mass murders, cannibalism (obviously! :)) and also animals being actually killed. There's a giant turtle that the actors crack open, chop it's head and fins off and disembowel while it's still alive, a musk rat that gets eviscerated and a monkey that gets the top of it's skull macheted off - again, all animals are alive while this is happening.

The film stays with you for a while afterwards, but it's message is the disruption that western civilisation has on primitive cultures, and the cruelty that can be inflicted upon them. It made me question the nature of man outside of the sphere of civilisation, our 'natural state' of morality if you like.

Interestingly, the director had to go on trial in Italy to prove that it wasn't a snuff movie at the time.

Advertisement