Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

MP4, H.264 and probably quicktime

Buy a decent media player if you want divx xvid etc ;)http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000417035852/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

About time for them to support video to be honest. Now they should stick in an FM radio, microphone recorder and line-in with direct MP3 encoding.

And yes, the Cowon A2 kicks it's (and pretty much everything else's) ass.

The video formats the new iPod supports are:

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
    MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

Those resolutions are fairly impressive. Impressive also is the ability to connect it to a TV and play back your videos using an S-Video cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

So you can encode your own content? It looked from bloomberg that it would only play the downloaded content. I've got an Archos A320, might switch over though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Does anyone know when these will be availabe in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Shipping already online, not sure about in store dates yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Bard wrote:
    About time for them to support video to be honest. Now they should stick in an FM radio, microphone recorder and line-in with direct MP3 encoding.

And yes, the Cowon A2 kicks it's (and pretty much everything else's) ass.

The video formats the new iPod supports are:

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
    MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

Those resolutions are fairly impressive. Impressive also is the ability to connect it to a TV and play back your videos using an S-Video cable.

Can't believe there is no FM radio . . almost all of the ipods competitors offer FM radio as standard !! Was really waiting for an FM . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Can't believe there is no FM radio . . almost all of the ipods competitors offer FM radio as standard !! Was really waiting for an FM . .

Yeah radio would be a big priority for me and higher on my list than video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

Why buy an ipod ??????

There like Louis Vitton bags expensive and crap.

Get a creative arcos or Iriver all far far far superior.

Ipod revolutionary my hole, just the advertisment and perople believing the hype and not reading up. That is how they have gotten away with a sub standard product and is still market leader!!! Shocking really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

air_vent wrote:
    Ipod revolutionary my hole

Hate to burst your bubble but the ipod was most definetely revolutionary
    Thing was a stroke of genius
    Not saying it hasnt been bettered since but it was the one that started
    the mp3 player explosion
    Its like the walkman in the 80s, no one is saying there werent better products

IrishMike wrote:
    Not saying it hasnt been bettered since but it was the one that started
    the mp3 player explosion
    Its like the walkman in the 80s, no one is saying there werent better products
    There were other harddrive based mp3 players on the market before the ipod came along, they just had an easy to use product that emphasized style more than features and marketed it well, I don't think its revolutionary at all. It hasn't led the way in anything only sales and popularity.

• Advertisement

comet wrote:
    There were other harddrive based mp3 players on the market before the ipod came along, they just had an easy to use product that emphasized style more than features and marketed it well, I don't think its revolutionary at all. It hasn't led the way in anything only sales and popularity.

Here here !!!!

You just have to look at every other MP3 out today ( and for the past year or so) to see that every other player craps all over it!!!!

FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

whay all the ipod bashing, i've had an iriver and an ipod, yes the irver has more functions, but the ipod was easier to use.

I agree Ipod has the best user interface, feature-wise its improving too.

Come on not enough though, all its features are old hat not a revolution that it will be sold as , look at the bigger picture and how it is percieved by the public.

I have a an iriver H120. Its not made any more and it is still better than the ipod (before colour) even the interface my not be a clear but its still dam good.

STILL doesnt have plug and play inexcusable in my opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

IPOD REVOLUTIONARY!!! HA... Rio and Creative were way before Apple, aplle stuck an odd colour on it, double the price and mass marketed the mofo, possibly some sort of mind conrol in their ads(explains their popularity). I will concide its easy to use, and looks good, but NOT revolutionary

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The new iPod is substantially smaller than the Cowon A2 and (almost certainly, couldn't find pricing estimates) substantially cheaper. Oh, and it's actually available. The iPod is more designed for someone who needs portability and mainly wants a music player with the video just a nice add-on - Jobs said this himself, that it would be bought primarily as a music player. The Cowon by contrast is designed with video as the primary application. Different products.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

IPOD REVOLUTIONARY!!! HA... Rio and Creative were way before Apple, aplle stuck an odd colour on it, double the price and mass marketed the mofo, possibly some sort of mind conrol in their ads(explains their popularity). I will concide its easy to use, and looks good, but NOT revolutionary
    The iPod was substantially smaller than anything that came before it, that counts for a lot with a portable player. Plus the interface was great; a great interface isn't really optional when you have 1000s of songs...

iPods aren't actually bad value in the main, I'd like to know who else is doing a comparably-sized 4gb flash player for less than €259 for example. The Shuffle when it came out was the smallest and cheapest 1gb player. And €329/€449 for 30/60gb seems competitive to me for a video player.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

IrishMike wrote:
    what was genius? the marketing maybe, convincing people like you that they were the first. Thats the reason they cost so damn much, all those expensive ads. They sell millions of the things so recoup the R&D and manufacturing setup costs in no time. Economies of scale say they should be dirt cheap, but the marketing costs are massive.

Why all the iPod bashing? they are the man united of mp3 players, people love to hate them. People who bother to research know there are better stuff out there and are simply pissed off when they see others falling for the marketing, thinking that it is the only thing out there. Many know about all the others and still go for the iPod, I have no problem with that at all, as long as they do realise others are out there.

I just hate the whole Louis Vitton attitide towards them people buying them because they are expensive and "cool" when really they were made by some tiwanise kid for 20 cent type.

I dont hate ipods not in the slightest nice pieces of kit at times just people buying them to be cool and look what ive got it expensive ( cf handbags at 500e a pop but its jus so cute)

*SMACK*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

"up to 2 hours of video playback"

wow, 75 charges to watch the 150 hours of movies stored on your iPod...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I would have considered upgrading from my 4th gen iPod to this video one if it had fm radio...ah well. think ill just keep using this one for the time being then

they just must not listen to what customers want. a 20hr battery when far higher capacities are out there, and they are still giving you the lithium ion, rather than the polymer so it will be dead in a few years. only supports AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless Audible, MP3, WAV. And I presume it is the same crap earphones.

The lack of radios really confuses me on these players. I only use mine when low on batteries. In the 1980's texaco gave radio watches away with a few tokens. If they could fit a radio on a cheap watch in the 80's surely the technology could be squeezed into a mp3 player.

rocky wrote:
    http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

"up to 2 hours of video playback"

wow, 75 charges to watch the 150 hours of movies stored on your iPod...

more like a few hundred charges...
    they used the marketing mans phrase "up to"
    probably means you have to play apples specifically made video which is just a pure black screen with no sound! they always overestimate the battery life. And buy the time you have recharged it the few 100 times the battery will be dead as it is still a crappy ion battery, a polymer one would cost apple a few pence more, but then it is in there interest for customers units to pack in after a few years. nice guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Was thinking of getting one of these, was just wondering should I order from Apple or wait till its in the shops? And also can someone confirm if I can simply play a video on the iPod, hook it up to a TV and watch it on the TV, and also how good the quality will be? Thanks.

Oh and one more thing, I gather I'll need to buy an Apple AV lead too?

Advertisement