Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife of Dreams

Options
  • 13-10-2005 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

So, it's finally out.

I'm in two minds as to whether I should get this. I can't even remember if I bought Crossroads of Twilight at this stage, and Jordans seemingly neverending introduction of new characters and reluctance to kill off plot threads isn't particularly persuasive.

However, from a review [1] I've just read, it looks like he's actually managing to tie things up.
    I was surprised when the first plot thread was completed. I thought to myself, "Will I ever read about this person again? Could it actually be possible that I've read their entire story now?" I stopped thinking that to myself by the time Jordan wrapped up his 4th or 5th plot line. Then more story lines got wrapped up, at least to the extent where I don't need to hear about a certain character again without feeling cheated. All of the major plot lines advance. Some are completed. (Have fun with that statement on the message boards). Lots of smaller plot lines are resolved or brought near conclusion.

So, the burning question.... will you be buying this?

[1] http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Knife_of_Dreams/review.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

yes, yes i will. i started reading all the books again just to have the plots fresh in my mind and although i thought reading them again would be a chore im bloody loving them again!

cant wait for to read the new one, its gonna take me all my will power to get through all the books again before giving in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm about halfway through. Jordran still has his annoying style where he gives every little inane detail using language used a thousand times in the other books, but he really pulls the finger out this time and starts wrapping threads and plots up. Tarmon Gai'don is coming. O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I guess so.
    Been so long since I read the old ones that I've probably forgotton most of it, but thats probably a good thing for the latter books...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

finished it last night. really enjoyed it. Lots of threads tied up, and the storey was really grought forward. Not gonn give anything away, but its the best in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

haven't read it yet. I take it that its an improvement over CoT.

I hope you find out who Mesaana is hiding as. Who is my favourite forsaken?!

Oh and Alviarin is raised to forsaken- maybe Rand will actually get an opponent with brains this time.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

I bought it off Play who took an Age delivering it (gorram postal strike thingies or summat) but it arrived on Thursday, allowing me to spend a happy Friday and Saturday reading it.

I was sooooo obsessed with WoT when I first started reading it a decade ago but the last three books have been pretty much bollocks. They had enough good stuff to fill maybe one and a half books and had so much padding and new characters and head-spinning politicking that I didn't know up from down.

Knife of Dreams really does tie up a lot of stuff and some pretty kickass things happen. I found myself grinning and laughing out loud at some developments and actually gasping in shock at others.
    Jordan has allowed some horrible things to happen in this book and it left me wondering if anyone would be safe from him! There's such a sense of darkness and foreboding in KoD. Fortunately there's plenty of Mat chapters to lighten the mood! :D

Will probably reread KoD in a short while, to pick up on what I missed through reading too quickly and because it'll give me a better idea of whether the book is really good or whether I'm just starry-eyed at having a new WoT book at last. But in the meantime, 8 out of ten. (Fires of Heaven, Shadow Rising and Lord of Chaos all got 10, Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight got 6)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

folks,
    If any of you cant remember all of the WoT plots you can download a recap document that can refresh everything for you. Just click on the link and scroll to the bottom of the screen

http://www.dragonmount.com/News/

Advertisement