Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Setup on Dell Axim

• 13-10-2005 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I want to be able to use my Dell Axim PDA for email. I am receiving email in OK but my problem is sending.

For receiving email I am using my domain (mail2.xyz.com)
    For sending email I am trying to use eircom. (mail1.eircom.net)

In the email setup I am given presented this screen:
    Incoming Mail: mail2.xyz.com
    Outgoing Mail: mail1.eircom.net

Domain: No idea what goes here

What goes in the domain field? I have tried www.xyz.com www.eircom.net but to no avail.

This works fine on my PC but I am not asked for a domain.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Are you connected via an eircom ISP account (broadband or dialup) when you try that outgoing mail setting? If you're not, eircom are probably limiting access to their network only. Domain is empty, usually. What error message are you getting?

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

eircom seem to leave access open to some other isps and also use a timed 'unlock' so if you login to check your eircom.net email (i.e. pop) from another isp they then unlock their smtp server for a period so you can send mail out through it

does your xyz.com email account not have an SMTP server you can use, checking with their support should give you that answer

otherwise you could try using your Gmail account, and use their authenticated (i.e. you log in) SMTP service

otherwise.... you could subscribe to a SMTP service or set up your own email account with a hosting / email provider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you for coming back to me.

I'm not getting any error message. Basically what is happening is, when I try to send an email I get an error mail back into my inbox saying "unable to connect".

This works fine on my PC. The PDA just doesn't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

Dummy wrote:
    Thank you for coming back to me.

I'm not getting any error message. Basically what is happening is, when I try to send an email I get an error mail back into my inbox saying "unable to connect".

This works fine on my PC. The PDA just doesn't like it.

whats the address of your outgoing mail server?

you should be using the SMTP server of whomever your connecting with so if its GPRS over the Vodafone network for example... use mail.vodafone.ie

Leave domain blank.
    Also the eircom SMTP server used to work fine but Im finding lately that it does not work unless your on an eircom connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, there's a sticky that you should read to provide some helpful info to try and help solve your problem:

HELLO THERE... About to ask how to get connected for Web/WAP/Email/MMS/Bluetooth etc.

have you asked the people who provide your incoming email service (to try and determine if they provide an outgoing one) and what internet connection(s) you are using when you have the email problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement