Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod broken - but what a service from Apple

• 13-10-2005 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

My 20gb ipod started freezing last week, then started making weird noises - like the hard drive was crashing.

My pc would only recognise it as a faulty ( malfunctioned device).

So i said id report it to apple, they have a call centre in india, but i instead chose to report it via the website, gave them all my details, description of the problem.etc.

Then this morning at 8.50 am a UPS courier arrived at the house to take the broken ipod away, and said it will be back within a week.

What a quality service - wish more companies would be like this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

someone i know submerged the ipod in water by mistake. dismantled it, left it to dry, put it back together, unsurprisingly it was bollixed, sent it off to apple [leaving out the part that it got wet], they sent back a new one no questions asked.

that said, the peeps with the faulty battery ones had some nightmares getting apple to replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

AdrianII wrote:
    Then this morning at 8.50 am a UPS courier arrived at the house to take the broken ipod away, and said it will be back within a week.

Maybe you should probably wait until you get a new/working one back before heaping praise upon them? :confused:

Call me cynical, but...

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

they're damn good alright :)
    got mine replaced due to the battery life dropping. speedy ass service altogether.

shame that i managed to submerge my new one 10 days later and have had to make do with a non working screen for the past few months :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

As a company they handle their complaints and repairs very well although most of the customer care workers are very incompetent and lazy..but its pretty much the same in any business. You just need to stand your ground really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

they were good when i required a replacement set of headphones too...hope i wont have to check what their support is like too often though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Maybe you should probably wait until you get a new/working one back before heaping praise upon them? :confused:

Call me cynical, but...

Gadget

. . . ok you're a cynical but ! :D

I've had good experiences with Apple support too . . top marks !

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

I would say most likely yes, as they will reset it to factory settings and delete all previous data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

This post has been deleted.

Better having an iPod with no music that works than an iPod with 20gigs worth of music that doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

AdrianII wrote:
    My 20gb ipod started freezing last week, then started making weird noises - like the hard drive was crashing.

My pc would only recognise it as a faulty ( malfunctioned device).

So i said id report it to apple, they have a call centre in india, but i instead chose to report it via the website, gave them all my details, description of the problem.etc.

What a quality service - wish more companies would be like this

I have a similar issue with my ipod 4g 20GB. Can you send me the URL you used to report a faulty ipod to Apple and also were you still under warranty when you returned it? I think my iPod might be just out of warranty and don't know what the process is. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

paddy wrote:
    I would say most likely yes, as they will reset it to factory settings and delete all previous data.
    they actually send out a new or refurbished model, which is why their response time seems so quick...
    unfortunately this means you won't get any of your music back...

ADSLUSER wrote:
    I have a similar issue with my ipod 4g 20GB. Can you send me the URL you used to report a faulty ipod to Apple and also were you still under warranty when you returned it? I think my iPod might be just out of warranty and don't know what the process is. Thanks

http://depot.info.apple.com/

My ipod hard drive died on Monday and it was out of warrenty. I called apple to see if they would treat it as "in-warrenty" which they did. Quite happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

ADSLUSER wrote:

the link is http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

my ipod is the 4g 20 too, they dont have an exact date of out of warrently unless you registered it, but mine wasa valid to end of the month :D

And i got it back this morning - seems to be a brand new one - or a very good refurbised job done on it

Again - what a service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

unfortunately this means you won't get any of your music back...

You should really have a backup, ~4 or so DVDR's will do the trick, unless itunes or whatever won't allow it. I think most companies just throw a new player back at you no matter what problems you're having just to shut you up. Good strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Dead Ed wrote:
    You should really have a backup, ~4 or so DVDR's will do the trick, unless itunes or whatever won't allow it. I think most companies just throw a new player back at you no matter what problems you're having just to shut you up. Good strategy.

Like tman said, the likelihood is that you'll get a refurb, from what I hear. That's definitely what I got when I sent my 20GB 3G model back (dead battery). Though to be honest I'd have been hard-pressed to tell the difference without looking *very* closely (which, of course, I did :D )

(And, to be fair, they didn't hang about getting me sorted)

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

http://depot.info.apple.com/

My ipod hard drive died on Monday and it was out of warrenty. I called apple to see if they would treat it as "in-warrenty" which they did. Quite happy with that.

Unfortunately I didn't have as much luck as you. Called apple but since my ipod was just out of warranty, they said it would cost 200 EUR to fix. Basically, I was told I'd be better off buying a new one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭L.W

my ipod screen has broken, went onto the apple website but still couldnt find where to apply for a repair/replacement/whatever? help?! and what number did people ring for help? (preferebly not in india!)

help would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

From the day i registered my complaint to collection to being brought back was 13 days!!! AMAZING!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ADSLUSER wrote:
    Unfortunately I didn't have as much luck as you. Called apple but since my ipod was just out of warranty, they said it would cost 200 EUR to fix. Basically, I was told I'd be better off buying a new one!

odd, guy at work had his replaced for dead battery and it was well past warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Question if your Ipod is still in warrenty can you buy the extended warrenty or does it have to be bought when buying the ipod?

• Advertisement
Advertisement