Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RedSoc

Options
  • 13-10-2005 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

What's the deal with this? Gone out of DIT so I missed them.

What are they supposed to be for? Is it just another events society?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

its a party soc.

they ve all been so great over the last few years***

apparently its Rewards Earned Deservedly soc.

***dripping with sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Well they would have been a welcome additon a while back but with B.C. as president I presume the S.U. has been running a few decent events this year?

What sponsorship does RedSoc have? Not just a front for RedBox is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I got suckered into joining this by a girl who I was in school with. It better be worth the €2 I paid for membership!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

They're sponsored by some entertainment company that I cant quite remember the name of. Sounds like its a mini MCD kinda thing or something. Either way, these "party Socs" disgust me... the fact that the college acknowleges them as a Soc is just a joke. Surely the money could be spent on the societies that actually do something rather then just supplement the job ENTS do etc.

there will be murder if aungier st paintball gets less money than the redsoc

• Advertisement

The budget for Clubs & Socs is never used up AFAIK. They are always cryig out for people to spend money (on legitimate uses). I think most people in DIT have a cráp attitude to Clubs & Socs.

Not many people getting the finger out. Everyone is just looking for free booze etc.

that is such a load of balls. we can never have enough money, we are always lookin to do extra trips

the prob is the money is being given to the wrong socs.

they should get a sh*t budget until their second year, so we can see what work they actually do

and please, dont say no one gets the finger out, many of my friends who are involved in clubs and socs are the most dedicated people i know, unless of course i misunderstood you and you meant the student body dont get the aforementioned finger out

in that case, i aplologise

Yeah, must say the whole clubs/socs thing doesnt seem to have the effect I was hoping for. Can you set up/revive a society mid year? I really want to get involved in the rock music soc, but I didnt see any sign of them and they dont reply to emails. I love the whole student music scene and it'd be such a shame if people are just going to let a society ,with a purpose, die.

Actually that is exactly what I meant. There is a small core of people who work really hard to make their societies work, most students in DIT have a really negative attitude to Socs though. No point in having dedicated organisers with no one to organise stuff for.

[edit] I was thinking about this a bit last year. I think perhaps that once DIT moves to a single location in Grangegorman that it will be easier to find interested people given that everything will be so accessible.

Also there was talk of introducing credits for societies activities as well as academic.
    [/edit]

unfortunatley, the chances of me being a student in gg are slim to none.

the credits thing would certainly help.

people do get involved, you just have to appeal to them. its easy for me, im a marketing student

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

I think you just have to grab peoples attention. When I ran the rock soc in Trinity we had 500 members... it was a case of grabbing people's attention and then trying to keep it. Think I might pop down to the societies office on Monday and inquire... I needs to be getting some music into this place... I'm sick to death of all these cover bands people keep putting on!

Advertisement