Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 4Mb Line Users

• 13-10-2005 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Anybody else getting capped speeds on their line? I max out at 250KB :mad: to both ftp.esat.net and ftp.heanet.ie. My modem is still connected at 4096/256. Im on the Nangor road exchange in Clondalkin.

Search is disabled so couldn't check, but im nearly sure this is the same issue that occured during the last upgrade.

Anybody else suffering from this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

What price is that line from Eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

ianmc38 wrote:
    What price is that line from Eircom?
    €169 + VAT

Our office also has a 4MB line connected to a different exchange and it too is maxing out at 250KB. Any one else confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

Could you access these sites at full speed previously? I know some (most?) sites put some sort of a cap on each users bandwidth so it could be normal for these sites.

I usually test my download speed with a big download from www.nvidia.com, they have oodles of bandwidth available..

You could also try doing a download from each site simultaneously to see if the total bandwidth is capped or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Try grabbing a file from Unreal.ie

If that doesn't max out your downloads you need to get onto Eircom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Chavster wrote:
    Could you access these sites at full speed previously? I know some (most?) sites put some sort of a cap on each users bandwidth so it could be normal for these sites.

I usually test my download speed with a big download from www.nvidia.com, they have oodles of bandwidth available..

You could also try doing a download from each site simultaneously to see if the total bandwidth is capped or not...

ftp.heanet.ie has a 4Gb pipe, so bandwidth isn't a problem for them. But yes, I could previosly download from both of them at ~450KB/s

Checked unreal.ie, its the same, caps out at 250KB on me.

Have tried downloading from both sites at the one time, still no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

time to get calling so .. that's disgraceful tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

lynchie wrote:
    €169 + VAT

Our office also has a 4MB line connected to a different exchange and it too is maxing out at 250KB. Any one else confirm this?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Is NTL available in your area? 3 Megs €45 (inc VAT). Try downloading iTunes from www.apple.com as a test. It's a good indicator of the transfer rate. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I actually noticed that our 4mb line was sluggish for the last few days, max speeds of 150-200, but Irish sites such as heanet and unreal.ie max the connection out. Maybe the connection from Eircom to the rest of the world is a little ropey. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Our Eircom 4mv business package is limited too. At the moment the speed tests only show less than 2mb. But I have noticed it mostly at 2.5mb - never anything near the full 4mb.
    I need to test it without the rest of the network just in case there is something hogging bandwidth also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Still less than 4 here. Over 100k/b downloads are the best I'm seeing in general :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'm getting 415-424KB/s on an ISO from HEANet on Terenure exchange.

Is it consistently capped? I.e. it's not just contention ye're suffering from? What do eircom support say?

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I'm getting a 3500Kb/s cap on multiple sites here, although it is late, it might not have got that earlier.

Have you tried using http:// on heanet instead of ftp:// ?

I've just tried here, and changing to ftp knocked the transfer rate down to 2200Kb/s. Opening a second FTP connection brings the total rate back up to 3500Kb/s, so it certainly looks like http is being given higher priority (which is reasonable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Chavster wrote:

I have downladed at 4.7 MegaBytes/Second from heanet once from a 100Mb/s Connection in England so using Eircoms 4 Mb/s line shouldnt get capped on the server end.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

Our Eircom 4mv business package is limited too. At the moment the speed tests only show less than 2mb. But I have noticed it mostly at 2.5mb - never anything near the full 4mb.
    I need to test it without the rest of the network just in case there is something hogging bandwidth also.

Have you checked the speed your modem is sync'ed at? The Original Poster checked and was 4096/256 but maybe yours has sync'ed to a lower speed due to line conditions?

Advertisement