Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Monk

• 13-10-2005 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭

I was having lunch yesterday with a couple of friends when one started telling me about the renowned Dublin Gangster "The MonK" and his new business interest. Apparently, she was talking to a taxi driver one day who was a good friend of the Monk. He said that the Monk is now running a chauffeur service using a white strecthed hummer and brings a load of travellers to their debs.

Now, havign recently seen a white stretched humemr in town I'm wondering if there's any truth to this rumour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah... I may have climpsed a photo of this in the Sunday World in the local news agents some morning.

He used to be my landlord.... he's actually a pretty nice guy and certainly the best landlord I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah it's a true. - FACT!

My taxi driver last night used to know John Lennon when he worked in London, when he picked him up one day, they went and hung out in his gaf, and the taxi driver wrote the song "imagine", when john was in the shower..but left it behind him when they went out. Lennon robbed all his songs....he would have been famous - FACT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ian i highly doubt it mate. i know a few guys that have Hummers down in seville place but i also doubt the monk has one. i would have heard

ah.. well in this case the chances of a taxi driver knowing the monk are very high as he became a taxi driver himself after CAB (ooh there's a pun in the making there) siezed all his assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

He used to be my landlord.... he's actually a pretty nice guy and certainly the best landlord I've ever had.

Presumably you always paid your rent on time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah i've seen the hummer, blingouvit

Pigman II wrote:
    haha.. yes of course.

Used to get hassle from the Garda all the time though.. everytime I'd leave the house I'd have special branch asking me where I was going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Pigman II wrote:

Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

blahblah06 wrote:
    Ian i highly doubt it mate. i know a few guys that have Hummers down in seville place but i also doubt the monk has one. i would have heard

oh it's true, my previous employer (freight co), had it shipped in from the States, customs gave it a very serious examination while it was in their warehouse

DubGuy wrote:
    Yeah it's a true. - FACT!

My taxi driver last night used to know John Lennon when he worked in London, when he picked him up one day, they went and hung out in his gaf, and the taxi driver wrote the song "imagine", when john was in the shower..but left it behind him when they went out. Lennon robbed all his songs....he would have been famous - FACT!

No need to be smart. It's not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

It was the front page of the Sunday World a few weeks back. The Monk in front of his brand new white stretch limo and stretch Hummer. Apparently he's charging a grand a night for his services in the hummer

Highlander wrote:
    oh it's true, my previous employer (freight co), had it shipped in from the States, customs gave it a very serious examination while it was in their warehouse

My sarcasm detector is returning an unsure rating on this post. True?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

ianmc38 wrote:
    My sarcasm detector is returning an unsure rating on this post. True?

yeah true, shipped in by container from the States

Well the monk is a rip off merchant its only 550 euro for 2.5 hours in the guys i know. they own a yellow, black and white one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

blahblah06 wrote:
    Well the monk is a rip off merchant its only 550 euro for 2.5 hours in the guys i know. they own a yellow, black and white one

A "grand a night" is actually a better deal than 550 for 2.5 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

WellyJ wrote:
    A "grand a night" is actually a better deal than 550 for 2.5 hours.
    Nice comeback, youre right there your honor ha ha!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

It's true. He was in the Evening Herald twice in the last few weeks. The first tim e when he bought it, all dressed up as a chauffeur (spell?) with his mobile number where the reg plate should be. Talk about free advertising.
    Then last week, he did that big traveller wedding near walkinstown, crumlin. Got another free plug by the paper. And in his interview he said something along the lines of, Thanks to the Herald business is booming.

Ye but how long is for the night... have you looked into that?? i assure you it wouldnt be much longer then 2.5 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

blahblah06 wrote:
    Ye but how long is for the night... have you looked into that?? i assure you it wouldnt be much longer then 2.5 hours

And you're not likely to argue too much with him either :)

It was also mentioned in one of the broadsheet supplements this weekend (can't remember which paper - the one with the "what's hot" and "what's not" column). It was very much in the "what's not" column.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

He's defo not the only one with a white stretch hummer. I saw 2 of them parked up on Stephens green a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems to be a few white streches (not hummers) floating around the city the last few weeks. Have seen one pretty much every day somewhere near Stephen's Green coming out of work. Saw one out near liffey valley aswell. I've yet to see a hummer in Ireland though. Saw one in London. Stupidest looking things ever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I saw a red one last night in rathmines, big long stretch limo covered in stupid looking graphics that you'd usually see on "muppet mobiles" it looked ridiculous, kinda scary looking too tbh

seamus wrote:
    Seems to be a few white streches (not hummers) floating around the city the last few weeks. Have seen one pretty much every day somewhere near Stephen's Green coming out of work. Saw one out near liffey valley aswell. I've yet to see a hummer in Ireland though. Saw one in London. Stupidest looking things ever.

I saw a black hummer beside Leopardstown racecourse a few months back. Absolute beast twas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hummer = Tacky
    Stretched Limousine = Tacky

Stretched Hummer = Tacky^2

some ppl dont have any taste...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Sleepy wrote:
    Hummer = Tacky
    Stretched Limousine = Tacky

Stretched Hummer = Tacky^2

looool :D

Hummers aren't tacky though tbh...
    They were invented by Arnold Schwatzenegar ffs!!!

(the civillian version anyway ;))

Never seen one though. Saw loads of white regular ones...last time about a week ago outside Tara st. dart station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

well im getting a stretch hummer to my debs on wednesday, i dont think they are tacky.....yet!! Now they are slick but give it a year

there are 14 of us going in it!

thats true about the monk alright
    there was a picture of him in the paper dressed up as a driver leaning against one of the limos with a big smirk on his face
    i know none of you are going to believe me and im not being sarcastic, but he also applied for a job as a luas driver last september, no bull**** :)

enter in "the monk gerry hutch limo" into google and see what happens

Irish News - Irish Independent Online - Sunday Independent , Irish ...THE former gangland criminal, Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch, has bought a €200000 stretch Humvee limousine from the USA to hire out as part of his taxi service. ...
    www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ index.php3?issue_id=13085 - 50k - 11 Oct 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

check it out for yourselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Taxi driving - Launder as much money as you like.

He did get lots of people hooked on scag, including his son.
    Don't care what kind of landlord he was, the guy is a total scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

DubGuy wrote:
    looool :D

Hummers aren't tacky though tbh...
    They were invented by Arnold Schwatzenegar ffs!!!

(the civillian version anyway ;))

Never seen one though. Saw loads of white regular ones...last time about a week ago outside Tara st. dart station.

They werent invented by him, he was just the first civilian to own one. Convinced the army to sell him one from what I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

seamus wrote:

There was a hummer around Cork for a bit last year. Why one would want one for city driving in Ireland though is beyond me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sleipnir wrote:
    He did get lots of people hooked on scag, including his son.
    Don't care what kind of landlord he was, the guy is a total scumbag.
    I was under the impression that the monk was one of those 'old school' gangsters' that didn't go near drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cat O'Nine Tail

delly wrote:
    I was under the impression that the monk was one of those 'old school' gangsters' that didn't go near drugs.

You're right, he doesn't. The reason why Gerry Hutch is known as The Monk is because he doesn't drink, smoke, or has anything to do with drugs. The guy who sold smack and got most of his kids hooked on that muck, was a guy by the name of Felloni, not Gerry Hutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

delly wrote:

That was my understanding also.

Incidentally a guard told me a few years ago that they considered Hutch had 'gone clean' and they weren't pursuing him for anything any more. (I would imagine they still keep an eye on him however.) But I got the impression they certainly didn't consider him Public Enemy Number 1.

• Advertisement

skywalker wrote:
    They werent invented by him, he was just the first civilian to own one. Convinced the army to sell him one from what I heard.
    Aye. He paid the U.S. army (and their contractor) a lot of money to get his hands on a humvee. They're a savage jeep, used as standard by the U.S. army.

Then a company (perhaps the same military contractor) saw the niche and decided to make an uglier, smaller, wimpier version for the already jam-packed 4x4 market, and call it a "hummer".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Me and 15 other people got a hummer limo for our debs two weeks ago and it wasn't till the next day when I was readying the herald that I realised our driver for the night was the Monk. Happy days. One complaint was that we paid 800 euro for a 30 minute drive and only got one bottle of champaign between 16 of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

El Marco wrote:
    Me and 15 other people got a hummer limo for our debs two weeks ago and it wasn't till the next day when I was readying the herald that I realised our driver for the night was the Monk. Happy days. One complaint was that we paid 800 euro for a 30 minute drive and only got one bottle of champaign between 16 of us.

If you rent a limo in the US you usually have to pay extra to get any champagne at all, though I think the rental fees would be a lot cheaper.

Was it actual Champagne or just the cheap Spanish stuff that you get in most bars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Monk

stop talking about me. i gave up crime a long time ago. i now run a successful taxi business.

if you want to continue talking about me i'd be happy to continue the discussion in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭cil_aine

wow. is it really you? ha thats quite funny. so mr.monk, whats the deal with the whole hummer thing? are you doing good financially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

cil_aine wrote:
    wow. is it really you? ha thats quite funny. so mr.monk, whats the deal with the whole hummer thing? are you doing good financially?

LOL sorry... tis little old me being a bold boy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭cil_aine

hehehe :D

Which of your three accounts will I ban first?

3?? No... I have two accounts - dublindude and "The Monk". If you can't take a joke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

dublindude wrote:
    3?? No... I have two accounts - dublindude and "The Monk". If you can't take a joke...

Well thats okay then. He'll only ban you twice.

Wanders towards the prison forum, can't wait to see the appeal on this one.

You really think he has a case? I was very obviously joking. It would be highly immature and unintelligent to ban me for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dublindude wrote:
    You really think he has a case? I was very obviously joking. It would be highly immature and unintelligent to ban me for this.
    Multiple accounts = bannage. Being stupid enough to tell the mod that you have multiple accounts = a deserved banning. If that other account got one more post to it, it'd be proberly enough proof that your actively using the two accounts.

Well I can tell you now that it was a "once off post account".

Let's not be silly and discuss bannings. It's just...weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

El Marco wrote:

i doubt it was him since his hummer only holds 8

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement