Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Noises

Options
  • 13-10-2005 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. I drive a 1.2 Fiat Bravo with almost 60k on the clock. In the past few months I have heard a awful ticking noise coming from the engine while its running . Kinda like a clock but much faster. Its annoying because the engine dosnt sound healthy. Its not a deisel. Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Heres my ideas.

Loose timing belt.
    Blown head gasket.
    Value timing is out. Cam Shaft problem. Ever notice that Hondas and Toyotas are very quiet cars, cause they use Variable Value Timing. Very Good Teechnology. Anyway - Causes a knocking noise as if it was a deisel because fuel is combusing instead of being sparked off using the spark plugs.

I have the same problem on my Astra. I kept being it back to Opel and they say its grand. I dont believe them and i am giving them one more chance at the next service interval.

Is the car's power ok. Is the noise more noticeable when idle and goes away when you driving along. Check out www.howstuffworks.com and then go to the auto section very good and easy to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

find out from fiat if they have hydraulic tappets or not, if it has, then you more likely haven't got enough engine oil, if not then they needs to be adjusted, I don't know the fiat engines but that would be noisey tappets, I'm not sure if I spell tappets right but the garage should know what you on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

This can mean that your engine hasn't enough oil. Check the oil level first thing because the engine could seize if there is not enough. After that any of the suggestions above are the next step.

I have seen this happen in a Volvo and as soon as some oil was put in it was purring again...

hydraulic tappets in that volvo so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Sorry to be a pain.

What are hydraulic tappets please.

Id love to get my Astra purring again it has a great hume to it without the tick tocks

• Advertisement

if its hydraulic they will self adjust so you dont get the ticking noise like a clock ticking very fast, but if they are not hydraulic then they have to be adjusted manually, not sure of any better way to explain it

A valve lifter, or tappet, is simply a component that converts the rotary motion of the lobes of the camshaft to linear motion to actuate the valves. In earlier engines, this function was performed by a solid tappet, prior to the development of the hydraulic version

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Here's a good answer to this guys problem with tappets http://experts.about.com/q/1592/939532.htm

Also if you want to read up more on how your engine works you can go to http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm Quite a good site on how anything works really...

Yes indeed the ould Volvo I have must have hydraulic ones :D

Advertisement