Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Punto Dead! Help please:)

Options
  • 13-10-2005 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Wife was on the way to work yesterday and a red light came on around the temperature guage. Within a few minutes of the light coming on the car died!
    The water pump was fixed a couple of weeks ago but when I check the water level yesterday it was empty and there was a burning smell coming from the engine.
    The ignition is working but the engine isnt kicking in.

Have you any ideas what this might be?

Its a 1998 Fiat Punto.

TIA for your help. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Happened to me on my old Punto. Twas a fecked thermostat. If the engine isn't kicking in, could it be seized? Have you checked the oil level, that it hasn't burned off?

Personally I'd advise dousing it in petrol, claiming off the insurance, and buying a decent car... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Any oil left in her, Head Gasket gone.

Time to bury her i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

more than likely the Head gasket is gone, heard alot about them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Oh please dont talk like that, I have a 1998 punto!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

a friend of mine got her pinto's head Gasket replaced under warranty only 2 months after she got her brand new pinto from the dealer! sorry but it happened, but that doesn't mean they all like that, I don't know, like I said I don't know the fiat's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Most likely a head gasket if theres no water left. Check for water/mayo substance in the oil.

If the engine seized (which it probably did since she kept driving it) then youll need a new engine unfortunately as fixing it would cost more than the cars worth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Most likely the head gasket. Design fault of punto's that age.

Advertisement